The online racing simulator
Quote from Bawbag :Re mapping non turbo cars is pretty pointless when you consider how much it costs to remap your car to how much gain you get from it.

Remapping a 1.4 16v golf adds about 4bhp. Full stainless steel exhaust system and induction kit (this guy spent about 500 euros on this) and it added 6bhp. So yea, I doubt the 1.6 is gunna be much differnt.

Who cares what it sends his premium, spending all that money on a car worth under 1500 quid is like buying a chocolate teapot.

Oh yea, forgot to add, remapping a 1.9tdi golf adds about 40bhp, so it's no wonder that the audi feels a lot faster, because it really only benefits turbo cars.

I wouldn't mind doing it I said, doubt I will, most likely keep the engine standard. The Audi's ECU hasn't been remapped in such of having a PC plugged into it etc... It's had a tuning box put on it, just plugs into the ECU I think - Improves fuel mpg, torque and horsepower, think they say it's something like a 30% increase.

I think the best thing to do is, when I get the car is go down to a tuning place and ask them what increases in power I should be getting from the mods.
From what I can see the tuning box has the same effect as the remap, but less stable.

Regardless, I wouldn't waste any of your money doing the things you would like to, especcially if your gunna be delivering takeaway food, the cars gunna smell like a busted onion.
Quote from Bawbag :From what I can see the tuning box has the same effect as the remap, but less stable.

Regardless, I wouldn't waste any of your money doing the things you would like to, especcially if your gunna be delivering takeaway food, the cars gunna smell like a busted onion.

Lol, deliverying for chinese doesn't actually make the car smell, I will be cleaning it every week though lol.

The tuning boxes can't be that unstable, it hasn't caused the Audi one problem. They cost about the same as a remap though - £400+
I've been in a few takeaway cars and they smell disgusting, a few of my mates used to do it aswell and they eventually stopped because of how bad it made their car smell.

Yea, I don't mean for all cars, I just mean in general some people have had problems with them (rough idleing etc) and yea, remaps i've saw are about 250-350, which if you've got a gttdi 150 then it's gunna be worth it.

All this talk about cars, turbos and re maps has got me annoyed that I went back to college, coz now i'm stuck with the 75bhp turdwagon.
Quote from Bawbag :I've been in a few takeaway cars and they smell disgusting, a few of my mates used to do it aswell and they eventually stopped because of how bad it made their car smell.

Yea, I don't mean for all cars, I just mean in general some people have had problems with them (rough idleing etc) and yea, remaps i've saw are about 250-350, which if you've got a gttdi 150 then it's gunna be worth it.

All this talk about cars, turbos and re maps has got me annoyed that I went back to college, coz now i'm stuck with the 75bhp turdwagon.

Lol.

I know people who have delivered for years and don't have a problem with the car stinking. I suppose if you keep the car well ventaled the smell should go out, or just put it in the boot of the car lol.
If ignorant people want to spend their money on pointless remaps or exhausts then they can. If you are born a total tool, better to be a happy total tool.

Oh, and I've never driven without declaring modificationss. This is mostly due to the fact that I don't waste my money on modifications, but also partly because I'm honest, and wouldn't want to contribute to the high insurance premiums young people already face.
Quote from tristancliffe :If ignorant people want to spend their money on pointless remaps or exhausts then they can. If you are born a total tool, better to be a happy total tool.

Oh, and I've never driven without declaring modificationss. This is mostly due to the fact that I don't waste my money on modifications, but also partly because I'm honest, and wouldn't want to contribute to the high insurance premiums young people already face.

And now the 'brains' of Britain joins in lol.

Don't they say one of the best ways to learn is from your mistakes!

Before I carry out any modifications to the engine, I will be talking to a few engine tuners first, who will know a lot more about tuning engines then you Tristan. There are two big engine tuners in Plymouth who has years of experience tuning engines and running cars in motorsport so I should think they'll be able to tell me what increases in power I should be seeing and if it's worth it.
Tristan is right though Sam..

It's because you're in SWSC or whatever the acronym is.. it's all just pointless "turning" that accomplishes nothing more than the ability to say what you've done it, you get no gain.... especially on your first car, you want something CHEAP TO BUY, RELIABLE and INEXPENSIVE TO RUN AND INSURE.

Tristan does his own spannering though? I think he knows more about REAL tuning than some man in a T-shirt and a GReddy baseball hat who says to bolt on the biggest Turbocharger he sells..
There's learning from your mistakes, and there's doing research beforehand. Its obvious your not going to listen to us, so just take your weedy 1.6 and spend thousands of pounds onto it and get minimal difference. Just dont blame us when we laugh at you.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Tristan is right though Sam..

It's because you're in SWSC or whatever the acronym is.. it's all just pointless "turning" that accomplishes nothing more than the ability to say what you've done it, you get no gain.... especially on your first car, you want something CHEAP TO BUY, RELIABLE and INEXPENSIVE TO RUN AND INSURE.

Tristan does his own spannering though? I think he knows more about REAL tuning than some man in a T-shirt and a GReddy baseball hat who says to bolt on the biggest Turbocharger he sells..

It's Street Stylers Southwest - SSS.

I doubt Tristan does, these are good tuners, set cars up correctly and will tell you what else really needs to be done to get the most out of the mods, they just don't tell you to put the biggest turbo on there they have lol.

It's a 1.6 yes, but people tune 1.4s lol. I said I would like to, doesn't mean I am going to go ahead with it, will most likely wait until I have a car with an engine over 2 litres and producing at least over 150bhp before tuning.
That's how come most of the "SSS" members are driving around in 1.2 Saxo's, with silly body kits and Neon Lights, but their standard engines (apart from a K&N air filter) are somehow magically producing 23594574bhp?! The magic of those tuning shops, Sam!

You don't even have a driving licence yet Sam, why are you even thinking about things like this... times change and in a year when you can afford to take your test and then buy a car, things change... unless you still want to spend £6,000 on a number plate. :rolleyes:
Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's how come most of the "SSS" members are driving around in 1.2 Saxo's, with silly body kits and Neon Lights, but their standard engines (apart from a K&N air filter) are somehow magically producing 23594574bhp?! The magic of those tuning shops, Sam!

You don't even have a driving licence yet Sam, why are you even thinking about things like this... times change and in a year when you can afford to take your test and then buy a car, things change... unless you still want to spend £6,000 on a number plate. :rolleyes:

Lol, I said £6k on a number plate is ridiculous lol.

A lot of the young members on SSS have 1.2s but then they move to cars over 2litres. There are people on there with 200SX's, E55 AMG tuned, R32/3/4 Skylines, a guy is on there with a lambo, BMW M3 E46. There are loads of powerful cars on there. It is a car enthusiast club.

I know tuning is expensive, a car that is set up perfectly will be quick, bhp isn't everything I know. If your car has 500bhp but the car can't put the power down, it's useless, I know that.

Guys, what do you think I should start researching?
And neither will it put the power down if you can't drive it..........

And it's a posh club for chavs, be honest.
No, I only build, tune, setup and run my own engines and cars, as part of my career and as a hobby in the evenings/weekends. Been doing it for a while, and done a few years in motorsport (not including my 'career' as a driver either) preparation.

I would never trust a pair of clippers to be improved at a company called "Street Stylers Southwest", let alone my primary car.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :And neither will it put the power down if you can't drive it..........

And it's a posh club for chavs, be honest.

Like I said you can call me a chav, I don't care, I'm me. I told you, when you come down, I will show you some of the shit cars going around Plymouth and the nice ones :P
Quote from tristancliffe :No, I only build, tune, setup and run my own engines and cars, as part of my career and as a hobby in the evenings/weekends. Been doing it for a while, and done a few years in motorsport (not including my 'career' as a driver either) preparation.

I would never trust a pair of clippers to be improved at a company called "Street Stylers Southwest", let alone my primary car.

I am not saying that you don't know what you are doing, but there are 2 tuners in Plymouth that have a lot more years experience then you, over 20yrs experience. So they will have more experience then you and knowledge. Yes, you're a mechanical engineer so you do know about tuning.

Why not point me in the right direction to research about, give me the topics to research about and I will start.

Street Stylers Southwest isn't a company, it's a club, and there are mechanical engineers in the club, so there are people in the club who know what they are doing.
Part of my work has always been fixing the work of people/companies with experience over ability. 20 years experience is worth nothing if it's 20 years of wrong experience.
Quote from tristancliffe :Part of my work has always been fixing the work of people/companies with experience over ability. 20 years experience is worth nothing if it's 20 years of wrong experience.

One of the tuners knows what he is doing, deffently.

Could you give me some topics to research please?
Some topics. I kept the list fairly loose, because there is no point knowing about just one aspect when it's all interelated:

Cars. Engines. Exhausts. Fuelling. Combustion. Driving. Maths. Physics. Engineering. Vehicle Dynamics (a subset of physics I suppose).

You will then discover that the modifications you are planning won't make a jolt of difference to the actual performance of your car, but will make it feel faster due to the fact that a) you want it to be having spend silly money on them and b) they'll make more noise, so you think it's quicker and c) you have to fill it up with fuel more often, making you think you must have more power.

The only chips you need to buy will come from Ebuyer (or similar) or a fish and chip shop. The only mapping you need is an AA Road Atlas. As mentioned before, turbo diesels can benefit, in performance terms, from chipping/mapping, but you lose out elsewhere (economy, emissions, engine life etc). But as diesels are pathetically weak anyway, it's not asking much to improve them
Quote from tristancliffe :The only chips you need to buy will come from Ebuyer (or similar) or a fish and chip shop. The only mapping you need is an AA Road Atlas. As mentioned before, turbo diesels can benefit, in performance terms, from chipping/mapping, but you lose out elsewhere (economy, emissions, engine life etc). But as diesels are pathetically weak anyway, it's not asking much to improve them

Chipping a TD doesn't make the fuel economy worse, on my Dads it seems to have made it better, can do like 700miles on a tank, we went from Scotland to Plymouth on 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

All tuning shortens engine life though.

Diesels I think are catching up with Petrols performance wise. Diesels are good for torque though
dont put anything on a 1.6 engine,only a supercharger,but that still wont give you the "holy shit" feel.on such a small engines dont waste your money.(for example i had a 328i supercharged in the shop,and it was nowhere near mine.and the difference is not much in CC)
Quote from tristancliffe :The only chips you need to buy will come from Ebuyer (or similar) or a fish and chip shop. The only mapping you need is an AA Road Atlas.

LOL!

@ Sam, i take it back. Dont do research, instead, wait. You've still got until feb' next year if i remember rightly, so it'll be around march/april until you manage to get your licence. So, you should just wait until a couple months before then until coming back here. By that time, the insurance prices will go up/down, car prices will change, fuel cost's will change etc. It will change all your ideas and plans.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :LOL!

@ Sam, i take it back. Dont do research, instead, wait. You've still got until feb' next year if i remember rightly, so it'll be around march/april until you manage to get your licence. So, you should just wait until a couple months before then until coming back here. By that time, the insurance prices will go up/down, car prices will change, fuel cost's will change etc. It will change all your ideas and plans.

I am hopefully going to be doing the intense driving course which is a week to 2 weeks long I think. Will do my theory this year though. So should hopefully have passed by the end of February, can't guarantee it though.
But do you still see my point though? Prices are going to change by that time, so its poitless dreaming about what car you wanna buy and mods you want to do when your not even close to getting it yet.
This thread is closed

My first car - What's your recommendations?
(544 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG