The online racing simulator
Stick V. Slushbox
(156 posts, started )
Quote from ajp71 :Sequential boxes are different in that the selectors are physically only able to move sequentially (hence why sequential gearboxes require no electronics or hydraulics).

unless im mistaken on the way a sequential works the selectors are the same as in a manual box but with a different (drum type) linkage
meaning that in principle you could take any manual box and bolt on a normal 3 rod h gate linkage or a sequential drum or f1 type hydraulic actuators without having to modify any of the gearbox internals
Quote from Shotglass :unless im mistaken on the way a sequential works the selectors are the same as in a manual box but with a different (drum type) linkage
meaning that in principle you could take any manual box and bolt on a normal 3 rod h gate linkage or a sequential drum or f1 type hydraulic actuators without having to modify any of the gearbox internals

I think you're right in most cases, sequential gearboxes in front/four wheel drive applications are often based on a production box with modified selectors (for more straight forward RWD applications the whole box is normally replaced with a generic unit). I'd consider the selectors part of the gearbox, and in an F1 gearbox the selectors are capable of selecting gears in any order (though the driver/software never requests it).
Quote from Shotglass :unless im mistaken on the way a sequential works the selectors are the same as in a manual box but with a different (drum type) linkage

My Dual sport's transmission could be switched to H-pattern just by chopping a hole where the selector lever is on the side of the case and then welding in an appropreately designed selector assembly.

I was actualy considering replacing the drum in a motorcycle trans with an H-pattern shifer for my custom dune buggy project, it looks easy enough, and I could design the required links myself.
Well-built automatic transmissions will beat manuals on a dragstrip, especially when it comes to consistency. But for pure fun on a street car, nothing beats a manual. Some would prefer a manual to be in a weekend driver, though, not a daily driver (due to driving in traffic).
Today I had a several hour trip around the town in rush hour with quite a lot of traffic jams. I was driving a Toyota Celica'97 with a manual, which has quite a heavy clutch. Honestly, I don't get that fuss with manuals being hard in a traffic jam. You need to be either incredibly lazy or uncoordinated if it is so hard for you. I've also driven autos and I do agree it is easier, but definetly manual isn't hard at all
I don't like autos also cause I don't feel in control. Its always a bit unpredicable when it will shift and how it will react on certain inputs. Even in our A6.

Stick V. Slushbox
(156 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG