The online racing simulator
Driving on Keyboard- best set
(17 posts, started )
hi!

I'm trying to steer with mouse but it is so difficult. I need best setting for keyboard and for car. Please give me a tips how to be a good driver on keyboard. Sometimes i'm trying to make drift but i got rolled, maybe too soft shocks? I dont know... I need some tips how to beat corners, better (sometimes my car rolling when i try to beat corners with higher speed like 130Km/h...)

Anyway- anybody using keyboard?
I'd recommend you to get a wheel asap, its always better than some not smooth things like keyboard
#3 - [d9]
driving with keyboard is difficult. you are doing something wrong if driving with mouse makes problem for you.

mouse tips:
if you want to steer right - move your mouse right.
opposite - if you want to steer left
#4 - magux
I played a while on keyboard(demo), you can make proper drifts.
If you want to race/hotlapping I suggest a steering wheel.
Tip for keyboard: use fast steering and disable smooth steering.
I use KB al lthe time, 4 seconds slower than everyone else, but at least i got a goal to reach,

Would be no fun if i could keep up with the winners all the time

Mick
Quote from [d9] :driving with keyboard is difficult. you are doing something wrong if driving with mouse makes problem for you.

mouse tips:
if you want to steer right - move your mouse right.
opposite - if you want to steer left

Not really... I can tell you 2... no... 3 factors for failure while racing with mouse(my mouse is a optical wireless one, so 2 of the factors come from there). 3rd comes from my PC.. Not my mouse's fault but it's still something that makes problem about my driving. Promise not to laugh!

1: When mouse batteries just died. I use my mouse not only for steering.. Gas and brake are also there. So let me give you a example: Exiting corner and you want to press the gas button for a short time and steer out of the corner, and batteries die in that very same moment - What happens?.... Your car spins, because the gas is still being pressed and the steering wheel just stays in the angle it was right before the batteries died. Or another funny example: Right before a corner, you are just about to release the gas and hit the brakes... batteries die, gas button is still pressed and after 2 or max 3 seconds the race ends for you.

2: There are some zones on my desk that my mouse "doesn't like". Zones that I guess give a couple of reflections to the laser and that sends false info to my PC, so either I can't steer or everything just goes crazy and I'm like a drunk driver racing on the track.

3: FPS lag when more than 3 people are close to me... This is just my PC. If there is smoke then 2 people can be enough too. Also when my antivirus program triggers, it makes lfs lag like hell too. If I have left skype in "online" mode and someone types then a box appears blinking in LFS and guess what? LFS starts lagging. Well there are tons of other reasons to make LFS lag too, but I think I mentioned enough of them.

On the other hand: Yes I'm doing a lot of mistakes while driving with mouse when all of these factors are missing, because I'm not a good racer really, but... still... I don't necessarily have to do something wrong in order to have problems with mouse driving.
#7 - magux
Quote from broken :Not really... I can tell you 2... no... 3 factors for failure while racing with mouse(my mouse is a optical wireless one, so 2 of the factors come from there). 3rd comes from my PC.. Not my mouse's fault but it's still something that makes problem about my driving. Promise not to laugh!

1: When mouse batteries just died. I use my mouse not only for steering.. Gas and brake are also there. So let me give you a example: Exiting corner and you want to press the gas button for a short time and steer out of the corner, and batteries die in that very same moment - What happens?.... Your car spins, because the gas is still being pressed and the steering wheel just stays in the angle it was right before the batteries died. Or another funny example: Right before a corner, you are just about to release the gas and hit the brakes... batteries die, gas button is still pressed and after 2 or max 3 seconds the race ends for you.

2: There are some zones on my desk that my mouse "doesn't like". Zones that I guess give a couple of reflections to the laser and that sends false info to my PC, so either I can't steer or everything just goes crazy and I'm like a drunk driver racing on the track.

3: FPS lag when more than 3 people are close to me... This is just my PC. If there is smoke then 2 people can be enough too. Also when my antivirus program triggers, it makes lfs lag like hell too. If I have left skype in "online" mode and someone types then a box appears blinking in LFS and guess what? LFS starts lagging. Well there are tons of other reasons to make LFS lag too, but I think I mentioned enough of them.

On the other hand: Yes I'm doing a lot of mistakes while driving with mouse when all of these factors are missing, because I'm not a good racer really, but... still... I don't necessarily have to do something wrong in order to have problems with mouse driving.

Conclusion: You can't steer with mouse because your mouse and pc sucks
Quote from magux :Conclusion: You can't steer with mouse because your mouse and pc sucks

The mouse doesn't really suck. It only sucks when the batteries die, which happens like once or twice in a week. 2nd problem is my desk, but I'm soon moving to another place ...anyway ...My PC is a problem indeed, it sucks baaad.
#9 - robt
I couldnt use the mouse but found keys fine. And without blowing my own trumpet I wasnt too slow on keys. 2nd in the CRC stock cup with an XRT (only beaten by an FXO driven by no_one) using keys. Running in the top half of the field in any car (including FO8 pre physics change). also most hotlaps are within the benchmark times. Theres an art to it, but it can be done!
Yes, but can you handle the formula cars as well?
#11 - robt
FBM and FOX are easy peasy. FO8 takes a bit of work now. on the old patch it was fine. and BF1 has TC so easy too. was the first guy sum 1:00 round blackwood on a full server when it first came out

EDIT: added my westhill hotlap. not very good but its the only formula one I have.
Attached files
robt_WE1R_FOX_136060.spr - 94.7 KB - 151 views
Looks very funny in cockpit but clean lap
guess you will lose control faster with hot tires when driving like that
It's more fun with a (cheap) wheel.
#13 - [d9]
Quote from broken :Not really... I can tell you 2... no... 3 factors for failure while racing with mouse(my mouse is a optical wireless one, so 2 of the factors come from there). 3rd comes from my PC.. Not my mouse's fault but it's still something that makes problem about my driving. Promise not to laugh!

heh,

1) what about use of wireless wheel or wireless keyboard?

2) i recommend to use mouse pad

3) fps lag = lack of cpu power to manage input - affects wheel as well as keyboard input

btw. imo use of wireless mouse is not so good. not because of discharging batteries, but because of its weight - produces interia - momentum in movings... like drawing with no battery pen tablet vs. drawing with battery pen tablet.

regards!
Quote from [d9] :heh,

1) what about use of wireless wheel or wireless keyboard?

2) i recommend to use mouse pad

3) fps lag = lack of cpu power to manage input - affects wheel as well as keyboard input

btw. imo use of wireless mouse is not so good. not because of discharging batteries, but because of its weight - produces interia - momentum in movings... like drawing with no battery pen tablet vs. drawing with battery pen tablet.

regards!

My keyboard actually is a wireless one, but it's batteries last much longer, and I guess you can explain it why to yourself.

I use a mouse pad/(note) book some times when I'm not too lazy to search for a bigger one, with not too much colors.

3 - My PC simply sux, I need a new one.

2.2? - It depends on what you are used to.
Quote from Maniek007 :hi!

I'm trying to steer with mouse but it is so difficult. I need best setting for keyboard and for car. Please give me a tips how to be a good driver on keyboard. Sometimes i'm trying to make drift but i got rolled, maybe too soft shocks? I dont know... I need some tips how to beat corners, better (sometimes my car rolling when i try to beat corners with higher speed like 130Km/h...)

Anyway- anybody using keyboard?

Go for mouse, place shift up/down on mouse buttons, learn to steer with it, throttle/brake W/S side-look Q/E that's all you need
I see many fast people on mouse VERY fast.. give it few days and you'll like it more than keyboard
I've been practicing with mouse.. but it's still pretty hard.. with the keyboard I usually burn my tires red hot after 2 laps (even R4's)
#17 - robt
Try turning the steering lock down to 10-16 degrees depending on the track. And keep the rear lsd at about 40-60% power lock.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG