The online racing simulator
Quote from -NightFly- :from what i've played, carbon and undercover are way off from pro street...different feeling, damage model and purpose.

Yes, they're different from Pro Street, but doesn't mean they're any better than it, or than they're not worse than the previously released NFS titles. I have played all NFSs since The Need for Speed released by Road&Track, actually I have most of them installed on my PC right now (apart from NFSC, NFSPS and NFSUC, which I uninstalled because I couldn't stand them).

For me, the worst NFS ever made was Pro Street. Not because of the events, graphics, customization or anything else (even though everything could've been much better), but mainly because of the physics. It's ridiculous. It's neither arcade or simulation, it's a weird combination of boat racing with airplanes, grip where it's not supposed to be and cars not turning when they are supposed to. It's not fun. It's like I'm not driving a car. And the car cameras made it even worse. The soundtrack isn't so bad, but the way they have implemented it in the game made it look terrible. Playing NFS Pro Street gives me headache.

NFS Carbon wasn't that bad, but NFS Undercover screwed things up again, even though it wasn't as bad as Pro Street, EA Games compensated this by adding up plenty of bugs.

NFS Undercover has several graphical and physics bugs. As examples I can say the sun light passing through bridges and completely pixelated shadows as distance goes by... Every shadow's "pixel size" might go up to 32x32 in the track. A friend of mine had taken some pictures of it, and I even uploaded it here, I'll check my attachments to see if I can find it. [edit] Here is it. [/edit] UC's car handling is not as bad as Pro Street, but it's still not fun or any realistic. NFS Carbon's handling is terribly bad too, although Pro Street's physics managed to be a lot worse than both UC and Carbon together.
Ohhh god.. I think I might know why that veyron pulled off a wallride.. I think EA have done something stupid... Special Abilities - think about it, the veyron just hopped up to the wall, overtook the car in front whilst wallriding, then came back onto the road perfectly and carried on. Super overtaking manoeuvre ? No thanks EA! Stick with good ol' late breaking and slipstreaming.. I knew they'd kill it..
Quote from brandons48 :Ohhh god.. I think I might know why that veyron pulled off a wallride.. I think EA have done something stupid... Special Abilities - think about it, the veyron just hopped up to the wall, overtook the car in front whilst wallriding, then came back onto the road perfectly and carried on. Super overtaking manoeuvre ? No thanks EA! Stick with good ol' late breaking and slipstreaming.. I knew they'd kill it..

Erm, no.

Just very shoddy physics, whats new?

Disclaimer: Sarcasm detector may be broken.
Quote from Equinox :Erm, no.

Just very shoddy physics, whats new?

Disclaimer: Sarcasm detector may be broken.

Look how the camera changed, that's cinematic overtaking bullshit! Not physics gone wrong.
Quote from brandons48 :Look how the camera changed, that's cinematic overtaking bullshit! Not physics gone wrong.

Maybe likely to be something that happened in a beta test race or similar and they used different camera angles to glorify it?
I think it might be one of those "special moves", in another movie when the car was bumped into the fence it... started to drive on it... for a sec or two. Even some special camera effects were applied.... ehh... there is still Forza 3 and GT 5 for console players... and nothing for PC players (as I am one ).
Quote from Equinox :Every time I see more vids I get more dissapointed.

Veyron in the tunnel WTF

Makes me sad

WHAT i thought
ROFL at the Veyron wall ride What are they doing with this series??
I'll still buy it tbh Doubt it will get as much play time as forza 3 though
Quote from Boris Lozac :ROFL at the Veyron wall ride What are they doing with this series??

This can mean only one thing. Dave Mirra has started circuit racing as well.
You mean he helped EA perfect the wallride physics? :P Next time Travis Pastrana will provide backflip physics xD
well just wait and see whats the truth in the demo
Wait, the ballad of gay-tony thing is a joke right, it's not real? Good video, but I was still pondering that preview I was shown there.

Profile thing does seem like a good idea to me, at long as it's reliable.
Quote from boosterfire :Wait, the ballad of gay-tony thing is a joke right, it's not real?.

IDK I have seen it a couple of times already looks funny to me
Quote from boosterfire :Wait, the ballad of gay-tony thing is a joke right, it's not real? Good video, but I was still pondering that preview I was shown there.

Profile thing does seem like a good idea to me, at long as it's reliable.

The GTA thread is thataway
Impressions from a player:

Quote from Ion Square :

Im going to begin by saying I am no hardcore sim racer by no means, but i do race Go Karts in real life and have countless hours on Forza and Race Pro and i do like racing games to be serious and realistic.

Yesterday i had the chance to play Shift (even won myself a key ring and an EA pen, but that is besides the point). Basically it was a competition thing and you had 2 practice laps and then a flying lap. Alas the steering assist, brake assist ABS, SC, TC & racing line were on (physics set at normal) for the purposes of the competition and i wasn’t aloud to take anything off. So, I was in a Nissan 350Z (the prize if you win the comp) on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit, which is a track i have virtual miles on and real time miles on, so i was confident i would be cool with it. I got there early and i think was the 4th to have a go and the best time up until then was a 1:07.xxx i think, and suffice to say, i destroyed that on my first practice lap with a 1:04.xxx, then a 1:03.xxx and then on my final lap a 1:02.995 or something. But that isn’t important!
The car, the track, the feel….well. Even with the assists on, it was brilliant, i mean i felt sooo tied in with the assists on, but it felt good, REAL good. You drop into Paddock Hill bend and you just feel the car wanting to push wide, holding onto that fine level of grip and the back wanting to break free, the weight transfer coming through Surtees and up to Clearways, it was fantastic. Again, an issue as i was having to use a pad and im used to a wheel, but it still felt good. And the cockpits? Man they were amazing, the dials and everything just look beautiful.

Now, it doesnt end there, Seeing as it was early and no one was even interested or even heard of Shift, i got talking to the guy and asked if i could have a cheeky look round the game and maybe have a bash in an Aston or something, NO ASSISTS. Dude not only agreed to this, but even let me in his pink Veyron round Spa (it was savage to say the least), which handled well, but the back end (as you can imagine) was snaky, but could be contained.
All in all i played for like 2 hours on varying tracks and cars, different levels of assists and what have you. i drove:-

V8 Aston Martin Vantage (@ Spa & Indy Brands) - No assists
Veyron (@ Spa) - ” ”
Subaru Impreza (@ Willow Springs? Not sure) ” ” - Against a hard AI apponent

The Veyron was savage, yeah.
The Vantage….stunning. The cockpit was alive, it was like i was there, it felt poised, planted and so SO nice to drive, just what id imagine (key word) a Vantage would drive like.
The Impreza also very nice. Not a lot of tail action or drama as the 4WD system gave me some nice grip, but it felt brilliant. And the AI were challenging to say the least, i took a little too much curb and he pounced and got me and i really had to fight to get my position back, he was no pushover.
Despite the fact i was on a pad didnt ruin the experience, as you could tell the potential, and with the wheel i could imagine it would be even better.

Something that did and didnt surprise is that i was able to do like a 1:00.233 i think with the Vantage (Brands Indy) with all the assists on, and then a 0:58.xxx with everything off, however i think this had a lot to do with the start as the TC just ruined any sort of good start.

I was very optimistic for this game, and cant wait for its release so i can use my wheel and really give it some stick.

I also want an EA pen...
No demo before release, maybe not even after:

Quote :
Even though EA announced in spring that a demo of Need for Speed Shift will be available this summer, it looks like that the demo version isn’t exactly just around the corner.

EA has released the following statement, answering the many community requests for a playable Shift demo to accompany all the preview material:

“In the last few weeks we’ve received a lot of messages and forum posts about a demo so we’re currently looking into the feasibility of releasing a demo for SHIFT. We are committed to releasing the best Need for Speed game so we kept the entire team working on the game to make sure we release a really great experience.
We’re really proud of what the guys at SMS and Black Box have created and we can’t wait to get the game in your hands.”

Without reading too much into this message, it pretty much states that EA isn’t even sure if they will ever release a demo and certainly not before Shift hits the shelves on September 15th/17th

Well that's me downloading then
yeah, they just want people to buy it, not to buy it and be satisfied...
ARRRRr matey!
Quote from MadCat360 :Impressions from a player:

Man look at all the trailers this doesn´t even look NEAR to real imo. Not that i say Dirt 2 is a simulation but even this looks more realistic then Shift.

Thats one of the reasons i´ll buy Dirt 2 and not Shift.
Quote from BastianB :

Man look at all the trailers this doesn´t even look NEAR to real imo. Not that i say Dirt 2 is a simulation but even this looks more realistic then Shift.

Thats one of the reasons i´ll buy Dirt 2 and not Shift.

From the pc video's i've seen the graphics look pretty good in shift tbh, guess there will only be one way to find out, play the game for yourself.

Dirt2 is going in a weird direction, some of the car selections are strange for Dirt2
Quote from DejaVu :From the pc video's i've seen the graphics look pretty good in shift tbh, guess there will only be one way to find out, play the game for yourself.

Dirt2 is going in a weird direction, some of the car selections are strange for Dirt2

I don´t talk about the graphics in Shift. IMO the whole car behavior and physics just don´t look right. I just can´t velieve what this guy is talking there.
Doesn't look to bad i thought?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85kwy4qMRT0

Pity about the grid girl standing in the middle of the car though hahaha

Physics wise looks very similar to the Race series, which in general isn't really the worst sim around is it? There's to many video's around of people playing on gamepads at shows, that and the fact there's alot of people who just slam the throttle down and close their eyes

I'd really of liked a demo to make my own mind up aswell though, pretty shit that it looks like there won't be one.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG