The online racing simulator
Is my PB any good?
(11 posts, started )
Is my PB any good?
I just drove a 1.19.00 on blackwood with the FBM. I'm relatively new to lfs and i dont have a wheel, i use an old gamepad with somewhat analog controls.

So, i'm 6.7 secs under world record i think.

My question: Is that time any good? What would i be able to do without a wheel and what should i aim for?

My problems at the moment are: Locking up the rear wheels under braking because i can't blip the engine, Spinning off when going over some of the curbs because i'm hardly able to be smooth with the steering and, because of both of those things, when i'm trying to be consistent, that's to say when i'm in a race, i do every lap in about 1.22, which is nowhere near enough to win anything.

all those problems, or challenges, considered, i'm loving it

-stefano
Quote :Locking up the rear wheels under braking

you could always try loosening up the braking force... or move the brake balance more to the front of the car.

cheers
Without a wheel, you should be able to do 1:12:6x.

IMO the best way to improve is getting some hotlaps that don't use wheel, watch them, then watch your PB and see the differences. Start by memorizing the braking points, and try to emulate the lines they do. Even if you go much slower than them, by going on the same lines you'll be able to accelerate more on the future because ur already driving on the fastest lines..

Have fun
ur pb is wat u r
u decide if its good for u or not
right now my pb is 1:15:05 i think
#5 - AMB
Quote from crucible :I just drove a 1.19.00 on blackwood with the FBM. I'm relatively new to lfs and i dont have a wheel, i use an old gamepad with somewhat analog controls.

So, i'm 6.7 secs under world record i think.

My question: Is that time any good? What would i be able to do without a wheel and what should i aim for?

My problems at the moment are: Locking up the rear wheels under braking because i can't blip the engine, Spinning off when going over some of the curbs because i'm hardly able to be smooth with the steering and, because of both of those things, when i'm trying to be consistent, that's to say when i'm in a race, i do every lap in about 1.22, which is nowhere near enough to win anything.

all those problems, or challenges, considered, i'm loving it

-stefano

Move brake bias to front, try and keep the car straight when going over kerbs unless you got good control, learn braking points and be smooth as possible, get a wheel, DFP or G25 depending on budget.
My personal opinion is that being able to do many laps without crashing or loosing control is far more important than being able to do the occasional very fast lap.

I just try to be consistent, after all the only person one can race is oneself. I'm new as well and not very fast 1.36.69 with the XFG. A couple of weeks ago when I started 1.45 was a good time for me. So I'm happy.

I prefer to use my own setup, this way I learn more and get a driveable car. Also I try to finish every race I start, if I'm behind because everyone is faster so be it, as long as I'm driving well I'm having fun.

If I meet someone in the race that is more or less my level and a good driver, I know it will be a fun race. If he is slower I'll study him a bit, see what kind of driver he is. If he is good I'll go behind him and look for an oportunity to overtake. If he is bad, I'll make sure that he won't ram into me the next turn (some when overtaken will floor down the accelerator), so you have to make sure you can put enough distance to take the next turn safely; don't forget to look in the mirror to see him bite the dust.

Faster cars, by definition anyone that gets close behind you is faster than you, if you get a blue flag, well just let him pass as soon as posible. If not well no reason why you shouldn't try and hold your position, this is a race after all. Of course some are so hot headed that they will be mad if you don't immediately dissapear, so instead of trying to overtake you they will try to push you off the road, these are usualy the kind that retire if they can't be withing the first 3.

Then are the good fast drivers, these will cleanly overtake you, if they aren't so fast as to dissapear quickly, follow them and you'll get an invaluable free lesson in driving well and fast.

As for hotheads, crashers, rookies, bad drivers, people that "once overtaken pit and wait somewhere on the track to crash into you", and other fauna of the sort; detect and avoid. In any case don't get into useless fights with them. And don't "press 1" happily, make sure you know the guy is a cheat, it's a well known trick "crashers" use to get rid of legit drivers, if not you run the risk of ending up in a "demolition derby".

Anyway this is the way I see it, drive well, be consistent, learn to make your own setups, finish every race you can, practice, and fast laps will come on their own. At least this is what I hope.

PS Sorry for the long post, I got carried away.
Quote from buusap :ur pb is wat u r
u decide if its good for u or not
right now my pb is 1:15:05 i think

Very true, well said.
Very good post BlueMile.
1 19 isnt great i hear joysticks are very easy make sure u brake early turn in late and have a good spped exit my pb is 1 13 93 i hate people who get 1 12 cuz they dont race they take the corner that if u took it in f1 u would ruin the car forr sure i want to get 1 12 but it wouldnt be fun at all
Holy post bump batman!

Is my PB any good?
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG