The online racing simulator
got a DFP but....
(40 posts, started )
#1 - Ish_
got a DFP but....
I used to use a gamepad for LFS before and was starting to race/drift ok for a noob but i got a DFP yesterday and now i'm totally rubbish again lol.

My main problem is that I'm using it in 720 degrees mode with the settings i found on this forum with the gti & xr gt turbo and when i need to correct oversteer i can't seem to put opposite lock on quick enough or if i do manage to correct it, it spins off the other way.

Do I just need to keep practicing and get used to playing with the DFP?
stick with it m8

i spent years playing driving sims with a joystick and after getting a dfp i was even worse than normal, now im only as bad as before
#3 - Ish_
practice,practice,practice it is then!!
The big difference is that a Gamepad and Joystick are for Arcade games but your DFP is trying to Simulate driving a car.

Stick with it and all of a sudden (about 5000miles) you will get used to it
did you try the settings below in my sig?
#6 - Ish_
yes thanks . those are the settings i am using and the steering feels 'right' with them it's just me who needs more practice now!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#7 - Ish_
Quote from thisnameistaken :Try using less steering lock - it's hard to use a high rotation setting on such a small steering wheel. Also try turning the force feedback strength down a bit if you're struggling to turn the wheel quickly.

i'll try this when i get home work
drifting on 720 is not really practical with the DFP. Drop the FF down to about 15% and set it to 270 in game with 0 compensation. As for racing, I use 540 with 1 compensation.
Drifting on 720 degrees is rewarding and feels great when you get the hang of it. Stick with practicing, it can be done. It's all about accepting the fact that you'll have to change your driving style and be faster with the steering work.
I used to drift alot when i had mouse but since got dfp ive raced alot more so only drift to relax from stresses of racing. Which mean i have my dfp locked to 200 which makes counter steering really easy. I got good at drifitn with about 500 degrees but for the reason i drift too much work lol
Just let go of the wheel and it will go opposite by iteself. Works hell of a lot more intuitivly in LFS than it does in say rCraptor.
yeah it doesnt do that in netkar, gtl, or gtr either really ruins the experience for me.

happens in lfs, RBR, racer's republic and even freaking gran turismo...
#13 - Ish_
can you adjust how fast the wheel spins back when you let go of it?
One would hope that it depends on the forces acting on the tyres.
yeah but there is also the physical limit that the wheel runs into. and the limit of the capabilities of current hardware and ff software.
#16 - beep
Quote from Gabkicks :yeah it doesnt do that in netkar, gtl, or gtr either really ruins the experience for me.

happens in lfs, RBR, racer's republic and even freaking gran turismo...

And which is more realistic? The way it does in LFS, RBR ets. or netkar, gtl and rFactor?
lfs, and rbr, gpl, and dr deffinatly.

steering wheels irl dont just sit dead only to rumble once in a while like in gtr and nkpro a and gtl
#18 - beep
Quote from Gabkicks :lfs, and rbr, gpl, and dr deffinatly.
steering wheels irl dont just sit dead only to rumble once in a while like in gtr and nkpro a and gtl

Mine wheel isn't dead in gtl, rFactor and nkpro. In ISI engine powered games it's the case of proper FF wheel settings in *.ini, *.plr files and in nkPro the FF is one of the best amongst other sims.

LFS has also great FF but the queston is which sim is closer to reality in those therms?

When the physics engine generates the forces and front wheels rotation FF gives you info what's going on with the wheels. Should the game engine turn the wheels into opposite direction when the car is oversteering? Is it realistic?
I have driven a few cars in my life and they didn't do such a thing.
if the car is oversteering and the rear loses grip and drifts around towards the outside... the front tires will lag behind if they have more grip and so will stick to the ground with an inclination to be pointing in the same direction... and so the steering wheel will turn on its own away from the direction of the slide... at least thats what i thought caused the "autocountersteering" of the steering wheel... i see it all the time with sportscars and racecars but not in gtl,gtr, nkp and all hte games i mentioned in that group
#20 - beep
Quote from Gabkicks :i see it all the time with sportscars and racecars

Have you driven them?

Quote from Gabkicks :... nkp and all hte games i mentioned in that group

nkPro seems to have one of the best physics engines and it does not "autocountersteering" thing which seems to happen. Is it something wrong with this engine or it acts correct?
Quote from beep :Have you driven them?

nkPro seems to have one of the best physics engines and it does not "autocountersteering" thing which seems to happen. Is it something wrong with this engine or it acts correct?

have you driven thim? i've played around with a few cheapo sportscars in a parking lot but i've never driven an actual race car.

rbr and gpl are more respected than nkpro and they have "autocountersteering" thing
#22 - beep
Let's ask some real race drivers to see what they think.

Anyway in the latest AutoSimSport issue (vol.2, nr. 6, page 39) I've read a moment ago that FF in sims "it is totally unrealistic, totally, completely and utterly unrealistic, ... The reality is that Force Feedback is not there yet." - these are the words of a experienced real life race driver.
yes thats true but what is the least unrealistic sim
#24 - beep
Quote from Gabkicks :yes thats true but what is the least unrealistic sim

Toca Race Driver?
i thought that would be closer to the most unrealistic sim

got a DFP but....
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG