Clutch Issues
(5 posts, started )
Clutch Issues
I know this was probably posted on RSC, but I wanted to make sure it was here:

The clutch support requires that the clutch be depressed in order to shift. I can change a gear, and then depress the clutch at some later time to activate the gear change. It would be very nice if the program would cause the car to go into neutral if the shift was made without a clutch or possibly cause transmission damage or even have the gear change work if the revs are matched properly. But either way, the shift should work if the clutch action and the gear change happen at the same time.

Second, The clutch acts like a switch, it is either engaged or not. There is no "feathering" of the clutch at all, even when automatic clutch is turned off. I use a good analog clutch (ECCI), and all I get is On/Off for the clutch. It would be very nice to be able to feather the clutch like in a real car.
Thanks for reading.
It is possible to feather the clutch, it merely has a very narrow engagement zone. If you play around with DXTweak2 you may be able to get a clutch that you can modulate a bit more easily. I did some quick experimentation and was not able to achieve the desired effect within about 5 minutes of tweaking but I think I now know how to do it properly. Unfortunately I do not have my racing setup at school so I can't test it.
i feather my clutch; i just wish it was like a real clutch and had the dead zones..

instead of pressing all the way down to be fully disengaged.. that isnt right.. about halfway in it is near fully disengaged ... so... owell
You can change gear without cluch, let off throttle, change gear, rev and let the revs drop, and bingo goes into gear,

Cheers,
With some creative calibration, or possibly DXTweak2, you can have the clutch behave exactly like a real car.

My setup has a very small deadzone at the start (less than 1/2 inch)
Then it engages for about 1 1/2 inches
Then the last inch is another deadzone.

I love how each class of car in LFS has different clutch throws... the GTi and XR have longer clutches, where the GTR cars have very short clutches. Starting the FXO GTR off the line with an analog clutch can be an art :P

Edit: I'd like to see the devs implement some deadzone management in the calibration screen.... when I do my 'creative calibration', I have to feather the clutch to the exact start and end engagement zones that I want after hitting "Recalibrate", then lock the calibration after that. It'd be nice if I could just let everything auto-calibrate then assign minimum, maximum, and deadzones beyond that.

Clutch Issues
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG