The online racing simulator
2011 Formula 1 Korean Grand Prix
(71 posts, started )

http://www.formula1.com/races/ ... _851/circuit_diagram.html
Checkout the 2010 race edit video: http://www.formula1.com/video/race_edits/

DRS:
he FIA has confirmed that at this weekend's Korean Grand Prix, drivers will be able to activate their DRS on the main straight between turns 2 and 3.

The detection zone will be half way between Turns 1 and 2 on the anti-clockwise track, and the activation zone around a third of the way down the long straight that follows.

Source: link

Tactical race information:
Pitlane loss: 23 sec
Downforce Level: High
Fuel effect: 0.3s/10kg
Fuel consumption: 3kg/Lap
Tyre Compounds: Soft/Super Soft

Tech data:
Kerbs: Medium
Pitlane: 387m
Altitude: 10m
Maximum speed: 317kph
Minimum speed: 65kph
Average Speed: 209kph
Average corner speed: 140kph
Full throttle: 61%
Longest section full throttle: 14.4 sec
Engine severity: high
Power loss: -3%
Braking events:12, (3 heavy)
Brake Wear: Low
Gear changes per lap: 51
Gearbox severity: Low

Source: link

Weather:
http://www.enterf1.com/f1-weather/Jeonnam.asp
http://www.autosport.com/f1/weather.html

Timetable:
Fri 14 October 2011
Practice 1 01:00 - 02:30
Practice 2 05:00 - 06:30
Sat 15 October 2011
Practice 3 02:00 - 03:00
Qualifying 05:00
Sun 16 October 2011
Race 06:00

All times in GMT and may be totally wrong

2010 results:
link

Results:
Practise 1
Practise 2
Practise 3
Qualifying
#2 - samjh
Quote from Hyperactive :
he FIA has confirmed that at this weekend's Korean Grand Prix, drivers will be able to activate their DRS on the main straight between turns 2 and 3.

The detection zone will be half way between Turns 1 and 2 on the anti-clockwise track, and the activation zone around a third of the way down the long straight that follows.

The T2-3 straight is the prime overtaking location on this track, and doesn't need the DRS.

The detection zone should be between T16-17, and activation on the exit of T18 onto the pit straight. That way, a driver can close the gap to T1, and then hope to overtake naturally after T2. It also provides an opportunity to pass on the pit straight with an epic fight to retake position along T2-3.

Wasted opportunity, IMHO.
Your missing the true point about DRS. DRS isn't about racing, it's about allowing the faster cars a chance to get past the slower mid field cars when they are caught out in Pitstops or bad starts, thus allowing closer run finish's for the top teams. This has always been a bone of contention for the fast teams in that qualy setup cars are not the same as race trimed cars, and with the the current qualy to race system they have they needed a way to 'balance' the field slightly. I think the actually 'race' overtake aspect is second to giving fast teams a legitimate way to overtake a slower car.

And personally, even though Japan wasn't the best placement for DRS, it does show what it can do by allowing the top six, who are (arguably legitimatly) the fastest cars not to get bogged down behind the merc's and all finish the final lap within seconds of each other. It's not very often you see that in F1.

Plus it keeps the sponsers happy. Which the cynics amongst you could construe was more important for certain management aspects of F1.
Quote from Hyperactive :Source: link

Cool link, thanks.

Quote from samjh :The T2-3 straight is the prime overtaking location on this track, and doesn't need the DRS.

The detection zone should be between T16-17, and activation on the exit of T18 onto the pit straight. That way, a driver can close the gap to T1, and then hope to overtake naturally after T2. It also provides an opportunity to pass on the pit straight with an epic fight to retake position along T2-3.

Agreed - racing wise. Would've been nicer for the spectators in the pitstraight grandstand too.

Quote from Funnybear :Your missing the true point about DRS. DRS isn't about racing, it's about allowing the faster cars a chance to get past the slower mid field cars when they are caught out in Pitstops or bad starts, thus allowing closer run finish's for the top teams. This has always been a bone of contention for the fast teams in that qualy setup cars are not the same as race trimed cars, and with the the current qualy to race system they have they needed a way to 'balance' the field slightly. I think the actually 'race' overtake aspect is second to giving fast teams a legitimate way to overtake a slower car.

And personally, even though Japan wasn't the best placement for DRS, it does show what it can do by allowing the top six, who are (arguably legitimatly) the fastest cars not to get bogged down behind the merc's and all finish the final lap within seconds of each other. It's not very often you see that in F1.

Plus it keeps the sponsers happy. Which the cynics amongst you could construe was more important for certain management aspects of F1.

Interresting analysis
I missed this race last year, was it any good?
Quote from thisnameistaken :I missed this race last year, was it any good?

I was at a party in rural Ireland and got like 3 hours of sleep, was exciting enough to keep me awake throughout
Quote from thisnameistaken :I missed this race last year, was it any good?

Yes, but mostly due to rain, and all the tension around the title chase.
Last year was pretty insane. Big crashes for Petrov and Webber and Sutil making himself a nuisance throughout the race as I recall.
Quote from samjh :The T2-3 straight is the prime overtaking location on this track, and doesn't need the DRS.

Actually because of the nature of T1, it's actually quite difficult to overtake on that straight.
£10 says Hamilton bins it in this session.
Quote from PMD9409 :You got Paypal?

I will donate the £10 to a local publican at the weekend after work.

T4's a good spot to overtake too, so i guess the feeling is if they can get drivers worried and defending at T3 then there's another straight and tight T4 for them to hoon it out.
Looks like they did jack all during free practice today. Lots of wetness and F1 ballet.

Even in the wet, tyre degradation seems to be a serious issue. With the weather expected to be dry tomorrow and Sunday, it will be terrible.

My predictions:

Q: HAM, VET, BUT, WEB, ALO, MAS

R: BUT, VET, HAM, ALO, WEB, MAS
lol i'm crazy, i can't remember the 2010 race and thought that this is the premiere for Korean GP..
Vettel was concerned about their tyre wear, i hope he's right for once.
Would be nice to see someone like Webber, or Rosberg to win.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Raise ya £20 and donate to my local pub.

Double or quits, Hamilton gives up racing and has a successful career in pop music, while his girlfriend goes on to be the first ever female double world champion driving for Mclaren.
Crofty had an interesting point in P3 about if you replaced Rosberg hitting Algesuari with Hamilton...

They didn't penalize Rosberg because of his previous record being good in F1.... Also, they said that Rosberg hit Jaime on purpose.. WTF

So going by the FiA publishing, you can ram someone intentionally, aslong as you didn't do it before, but if you had a few mistakes and knock people about a bit, you'll get penalized because you've done it before?

I think asking the stewards for consistancy is futile.. what a joke.
Senna looked like he was having fun.
Quote from amp88 :No, they didn't.

Yes, they suggested he 'caused a collision'.

Also, I'm still waiting for a car to slow down into the pitlane only to be rear ended.. Seems like the pitlane was a complete after thought...
You can cause a collision without intending to. This isn't rocket science.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :You can cause a collision without intending to. This isn't rocket science.

Yea, but to cause a collision somebody has to be at fault. Rosberg wasn't at fault, and neither was Algesuari..

It's been coined 'crashgate' for that very reason.

(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG