The online racing simulator
AI Learning - How does it work?
Hi,

is there any information or documentation available on how the AI and especially the learning feature actually works?

I don't mean what I have to do to make them learn, but what techniques are used to improve (? :-) their driving, like neural networks or whatever?

I played around a little bit with the AI drivers and I would like to learn more about the technical background.

Crowley
They don't use neural networks.

They just learn by experience, how much grip is available to them as they drive around. Then, each lap, based on this knowledge, they test out random small adjustments to their racing curves, and, applying their new knowledge of the available grip to the adjusted line, they work out their plan for braking and acceleration, and from that, their predicted lap time. If their predicated lap time on the updated line is quicker than their predicted lap time on the not updated line, they keep the new line, if not, they discard it.

Notice the fatal flaw in there - they decide to keep lines based on whether they *think* the line will be faster. Theyt don't then feedback experience into that, to change their decision after actually testing it.

Anyway, even with that flaw, it worked reasonably well in previous versions in cluding S1. But now it's quite bad because they have no understanding that their grip changes depending on temperature or if there is dirt on the wheels. Also they thing the same cornering force is available, regardless of their fuel load. Basically they haven't been coded at all for the new dynamically changing cars.

EDIT : To help them learn, i think you can just let them drive around, but let them have some varying experience, because one who is always in the lead, will get quite a different experience from one who is always driving behind someone else. But i wouldn't really recommended it at the moment, though it depends on the track. Some car / track combinations just end up with crazy AI drivers who can't stay on the track. Someone else may be able to advise you on which combinations work ok at the moment.
do the ai have a pre defined racing line for each track (for when they start learning)?
Well they start with this thing called the "path" which defines the route and the driveable area and is used for a lot of things. And they create their own line in there by fitting a series of curves
And how, may I ask, is progress on improving them to take into account of dynamic car conditions, and using hindsight for each corner?

Or is the kitchen still being a biatch?
did we ever get pictures of the kitchen?
well how to train them??? ive set much times BL1 100% fuel 45 rounds XFG.
let them finish the race, after i wanted to drive bit online left single player mode and while lefting it says " COULDNT SAVE DRV " :Eyecrazy:
#8 - RuGT
Scawen, could it be possible to make some kind of statistics list for the AI in the final S2 release? Actually it’s almost impossible to remember the experience of each AI. Look, if we train just 12 AI in “Pro” on each track, there will be at least 12(AI)*22(tracks without drift and drag)*2(reversed tracks)*18(cars)=9504 *.knw files. some kind of AI-tool maybe?..
May sound weird but I´ve given the AI names so I can remember which tracks they´ve already driven and in which car.
AI Setups
What about their setups?

When you set them not to use your own setup do they come up with totally random ones? I've noticed huge difference in AI performance if I tell them which setup to use vs letting them use their own.

If they find a setup succesful will they retain it and use it in the next race or do they just scrap it and go random again?
hmmm good point.. i always give them the same setup i am driving with trying to get them to speed up a bit but they are still so slow..

i have done a few laps around blackwood rallyx, whilst i do 1.07s they do 1.18s and this is on pro..... how long does it take them to learn? i have heard somewhere 90 laps?

mad
#12 - RuGT
Quote from Tomstr :...I´ve given the AI names so I can remember which tracks they´ve already driven and in which car.

I've done that also. But it works in case you train just a few of AI and just on limited amount of possible racing combinations (cars/tracks/opponent's strength etc.), IMHO. I mean it's hard to hold in mind every possible race config for each AI, especially after some time passed.
Quote from tristancliffe :And how, may I ask, is progress on improving them to take into account of dynamic car conditions, and using hindsight for each corner?

Or is the kitchen still being a biatch?

See, once you ask him, he keeps his mouth shut :banghead: But maybe you got him thinking about it, hopefully the people wanting improved AI will get their surprise
bah i can cant cause it doesnt save the " DRV " ....
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :bah i can cant cause it doesnt save the " DRV " ....

Can you find out which AI driver it is that causes this error and write his name here? Maybe his name contains illegal filename characters or something like that.
i think that happens with all AI's but i attach this AI by that im sure that it happens. by the way , while searching the AI file i found out that some KNW files already saved, but it doesnt save all time :Eyecrazy: heres the way i train them ( already wanna make them good for BL1 with XFG ) i set 45 rounds , 100% fuel and let them finish the race then i leave single player. do i make something wrong?

EDIT: im unable to upload the AI file cause its not allowed in this forum but theres a screenie with the names of my AI's
and i didnt change filename or something ive set dont show file endings
Attached images
AI.jpg
rofl love the names you gave to some of the AI
Hello,

I am also interested in why the AI do not take advantage of "drafting" and pitting for fuel.

Thanks.
Quote from ego-R :Hello,

I am also interested in why the AI do not take advantage of "drafting" and pitting for fuel.

Thanks.

has not been coded yet

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG