The online racing simulator
2012 Fia WTCC
(251 posts, started )
Oh, didn't know that.
Well the difference is that Chevy was run by RML and Citroën programm will be run most probably by Citroën Racing.
Quote from Mysho :Muller - 315
Huff - 315

Six race 1 wins to one, yet they're tied on points.

The current points system really doesn't make much sence.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Six race 1 wins to one, yet they're tied on points.

The current points system really doesn't make much sence.

But if it was in the YT/old system it would be a clear lead for Huff due to the littler point margins between the positions.
Quote from TFalke55 :But if it was in the YT/old system it would be a clear lead for Huff due to the littler point margins between the positions.

The flaw isn't on the point system itself, but in the fact that race 1 gives the same amount of point as race 2, despite the reverse grid in race 2.

It has been that way since the creation of the current WTCC sadly, I belive it is an heritage of the ETCC days.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :The flaw isn't on the point system itself, but in the fact that race 1 gives the same amount of point as race 2, despite the reverse grid in race 2.

It has been that way since the creation of the current WTCC sadly, I belive it is an heritage of the ETCC days.

Well ETC started off with the "new" format of 2 equal lengthed races. The classic supertouring format has seen a sprint and a long race, like in STW-Cup or at Macau.

It currently is a fashion to have either reversed grids or in various GT3 categories penalty seconds or penalty weights. Racing purists will rage at this while the causual consumer is happy about the extra bits of action.
I liked the previous system, points from 1 to 10, reversed first 8 cars at grid and balance&weight system. That worked out great imo.
Tbh Fwds shouldn't be able to race with RWDs because as you saw at sonoma the guys with frontys just plow into the rear driven guys knowing there not going to spin when they touch.

Muller was driving pure Btcc style in race 2 and rear driven guys got to accept losing a position or they risk a spin.
everyone who has ever raced on a multiclass server knows that (damn those XFRs and FXRs) With todays finesse in suspension settings and tires, even the higher tire wear isn't a drawback for the Fwds
Quote from ACCAkut :With todays finesse in suspension settings and tires, even the higher tire wear isn't a drawback for the Fwds

It's even worse in the BTCC. NGTC regulations recommand 17 inches tyres against S2000's 16, so tyre wear is even less of an issue for the FWDs.

AFAIK, out of the NGTC cars, only Rob Austin went the RWD route, with his Audi A4. And considering that he's been taken out more than once by the FWDs, I'm wondering if he might not begin to regret his choice.

It's a shame anyway, historically touring car racing has almost always been a tale of FWD vs RWD(and sometimes 4WD), but now it seems that you have the "FWD only" series on one side, and the "RWD only" series on the other.

As ACCAkut pointed out, this is pretty much because of technical factors, but let's not overlook the "driving standards" factor too. Some drivers are so brutal in the BTCC/WTCC type series these days, it's just not safe to be in a RWD car out there.
Btw for 2013 some teams might switch from BMWs to Honda Civics. Honda is keen on having privateers with their car. Wiechers was reported to have received a "tempting" offer by Honda. While Wiechers already said they continue with BMW, which might see an update for 2013, there is some paddock rumour that Zengö Motorsport might race two Civics next year. Like Wiechers, Team Engstler and ROAL are expected to stay with BMW.
Is ROAL getting next year that "little factory help" same as this year? Or is it completely private team from then?
Quote from TFalke55 :Btw for 2013 some teams might switch from BMWs to Honda Civics. Honda is keen on having privateers with their car. Wiechers was reported to have received a "tempting" offer by Honda. While Wiechers already said they continue with BMW, which might see an update for 2013, there is some paddock rumour that Zengö Motorsport might race two Civics next year. Like Wiechers, Team Engstler and ROAL are expected to stay with BMW.

Boooo...

Interesting though, Zengő can't run 2 cars due to financial issues. Surely they can buy 2 Civics for next year, sounds legit. Hope they'll keep the BMW, they just learnt how to set up the car properly after a few successful private tests. Why would they throw their knowledge away and start from 0 with the Civic? The BMW only needs a stronger engine and that's it. Rumours are that BMW might release a development kit, I wonder if it's true or not.
Whilst I agree that racing RWD against Muller in his "tank" FWD is kinda pointless I still can't imagine this series without pure race car, the RWD.
BMW is rumoured to do an update to the S2000 car. The engine most likely will not change. But after all it will just be an update and not a complete new car. The tempting part of the offer for existing WTCC privateers might be to get car updates on a regular baisis. I doubt BMW will do anything big for S2000 and WTCC. They get more money from the GT3s then from the 320sis. They just want to show presence I fear.

Also the provisional starting list for Macao was released. The 9 guest starters are the following:

32 TBA (Special Tuning/SEAT Leon WTCC)
46 Fredy Barth (SEAT Swiss/SEAT Leon WTCC)
50 Felipe de Souza (China Dragon/Chevrolet Lacetti)
51 Kin Veng Ng (China Dragon/Chevrolet Lacetti)
53 Celio Alves Dias (China Dragon/Chevrolet Lacetti)
66 Andre Couto (Tuenti/Sunred SR Leon)
77 Joseph Rosa-Merszei (Engstler/BMW 320si)
78 Ka Lok Mak (RPM/BMW 320si)
80 Henry Ho Wai Kun (Ho Wai Kun/BMW 320si)
81 Eurico de Jesus (Eurico de Jesus/Honda Accord)
Great to see so many local wildcards as usual, even though most of them are on outdated machinery.
Oh no, even Jesus drives a Honda...

Curious about the Lacettis. I like that car somehow.
Münnich Motorsport, just crowned GT1 World Team Champion, will start in Japan with a Seat. The teamowner himself, Renee Münnich will drive it. "If it doesn't end in a catastrophy we'll be back for 2013 with Seat or a new manufactor. Mostlikely Seat." He says in an interview with German Motorsport-Total.com.
Münnich switches to WTCC after the decline of GT1.
Quote from TFalke55 :Münnich Motorsport, just crowned GT1 World Team Champion, will start in Japan with a Seat. The teamowner himself, Renee Münnich will drive it. "If it doesn't end in a catastrophy we'll be back for 2013 with Seat or a new manufactor. Mostlikely Seat." He says in an interview with German Motorsport-Total.com.
Münnich switches to WTCC after the decline of GT1.

Apparently he plans to have (hired) professional drivers, interresting.
Been watching Salzburgring 2012 Race 2 where 4 Chevrolets got flat tyre and 2 of them in last sector of final lap and somehow found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqa6ZiBX118 Thought I'd share it here, it's always fun to refresh awesome memories.
Worst. Track. Ever. :thumbsdow

2012 Fia WTCC
(251 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG