The online racing simulator
2012 Fia WTCC
(251 posts, started )
The track itself is ok, the layout is awful. Petition for full layout next year...
Is this end of STCC like it used to be?
Quote from Mysho :Is this end of STCC like it used to be?

Yes, it is.

Quote : The championship's official title will be STCC - Elitserien I Racing, and the regulations used will be that which the TTA introduced this year, silhouette chassis built by Solution F with 3.5 litre V6 engines, which will eventually be phased across to the World engine formula of 1.6 turbocharged units as used in the FIA WTCC and World Rally Championship.

EDIT:
Some teams are currently considering starting in WTCC insead, like Honda Racing Sweden, as they are disappointed with STCC's move to the Solution-F. The article linked to below is from Engström's (Honda Racing Sweden) point of view.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8328

This is the track configuration for WTCC next weekend. They pretty much leave out the first "loop" through the short cut. 4,6 km, 2 x 13 laps.
Quote from Mysho :.

As Thilo said, from the split, the death of "STCC mk1" was pretty much unavoidable. Not enough place in Sweden for 2 competitive racing series.

STCC was a real farce this year. 13-14 cars, only 7 or 8 cars remotely competitive(the Chevys, the VWs, and Engstrom's sole Honda), and a title handed to VW on a plate(an unexplained 30kg break given right before the season finale... hard to make it any more obvious).

Even though I'm not a fan of the Solution-F concept, I can only hope that the re-unification means that they can work on one single strong Swedish series again.

Quote from TFalke55 :Some teams are currently considering starting in WTCC insead, like Honda Racing Sweden, as they are disappointed with STCC's move to the Solution-F. The article linked to below is from Engström's (Honda Racing Sweden) point of view.

They're probably the ones who got screwed the most in this mess. Feeling for them, really.

Quote from TFalke55 :This is the track configuration for WTCC next weekend. They pretty much leave out the first "loop" through the short cut. 4,6 km, 2 x 13 laps.

Boring!

Well, at least I'll have someone new to cheer for, with Mr Colin Turkington making a come-back to racing, in a WSR-prepared Chevy.

Bring on Macau already! Super pumped-up for the F3 race in particular, very impressive entry list, featuring many future top-level single seater prospects.
Quote from Mysho :Colin is imho capable of top3, the thing is he won't do problems to factory Chevrolets because he is not 'allowed' to do so...

Why not?

They are have won everything they can win, and they are leaving the series in 2 rounds for god's sake, why would they ever bother with team orders anymore...? The only thing it would do is piss off the locals by taking away a potential win/podium position to the little guy running under the local sponsors' colours.

Even in more "conventional" conditions it's not rare to see independant squads taking on the parent works team, ie, with Andrew Jordan/Eurotec vs Honda Racing Team in the BTCC.

Allright, it's in their best interrest for the independant squads to "take it easy" on the works guys. But in this case the cars are presumably sold and the works guys are taking their toys and leaving the playground for good in a few weeks, even if for the sake of the argument we pretend that team orders are going to be given, what have WSR to win in respecting them anyway?
Not really team orders, for example Bamboo last round in Suzuka said they won't do problems to factory Chevys... Just because their interest. Not saying Colin is gonna do the same... I'd be happy if he'd fight for it.

EDIT:

http://www.fiawtcc.com/news/detail/id/467

Quote :Yvan Muller has nearly lost his chances to grab a fourth WTCC title, following a thirty second time penalty he received from the Stewards for hitting Alain Menu in today’s second race at Shanghai.

There is roumor, that OAK Racing might enter two private Hondas next season. It is known that Honda wants to see two privately entered cars next season. Bamboo and BTCC team Dynamics were reported to be interested. The french team however is already working together with Honda in the WEC. OAK Racing's Olivier Quesnel said earlier this year that it might be 'dangerous' for the French team to purely concentrate on endurance racing and that they were taking a look at WTCC or WRC.

Moreover, BMW is currently allowed to race with a basis weight of 1140kg, which is technically not possible. The teams are currently 10 - 20kg over this weight they would be able to use as per the rules. The works basis weight is 1160kg. New, lighter windows could solve the problem for 2013 however.

Quote from Mysho :http://www.fiawtcc.com/news/detail/id/467

Honestly, if Yvan was Italian, he wouldn't have gotten this penalty. I even can understand that Yvan is pretty pissed right now. I mean other drivers are doing similar things, and they don't get penelised. This doesn't mean that he didn't deserve this treatment, but others deserve it as well.
Quote from TFalke55 :
Honestly, if Yvan was Italian, he wouldn't have gotten this penalty. I even can understand that Yvan is pretty pissed right now. I mean other drivers are doing similar things, and they don't get penelised. This doesn't mean that he didn't deserve this treatment, but others deserve it as well.

Well, it is the second time already Yvan decided to punt somebody off in the space of a 2 races and it effectively destroyed Menu's chances on the championship. He was easily looking to go for a double victory making some really good points on that weekend. It is a harsh penalty yes, but there was nothing else they could've given him, a reprimand is not enough in my book.
Quote from troy :Well, it is the second time already Yvan decided to punt somebody off in the space of a 2 races and it effectively destroyed Menu's chances on the championship. He was easily looking to go for a double victory making some really good points on that weekend. It is a harsh penalty yes, but there was nothing else they could've given him, a reprimand is not enough in my book.

I totally agree with you. Just saying a few years back everyone from Italy, especially a certain current SEAT driver, pretty much could pull those moves with no further actions being taken by the stewards.
Huff beat this 4 years old Larini's record in Macau like a boss, I think 2:29.4 was his time. The guy's looking great for his last 2 races. Only one red flag during Q1, that's nice result. Couple of broken mirrors too.
On the other hand, 2 racers died during this event already, yesterday SBK driver Luis Filipe de Sousa Carreira, today Macao touring car driver Phillip Yau Wing-choi.
Quote from Kid222 :On the other hand, 2 racers died during this event already, yesterday SBK driver Luis Filipe de Sousa Carreira, today Macao touring car driver Phillip Yau Wing-choi.

Well... The Macau Motorbike Grand Prix is more like a very short and condensed version of the TT then a regular motorbike race. It is a miracle there was no death in 7 years.

Well and the touring car driver from Hongkong... I'm most curious about if it was a Chevrolet Cruze to FIA specifications, because that would have to be a warning signal. On the other hand we don't know how the accident happened. There might have been additional factors leading to the fatality.

Still sad. R.I.P. both...
Quote from TFalke55 :Well and the touring car driver from Hongkong... I'm most curious about if it was a Chevrolet Cruze to FIA specifications, because that would have to be a warning signal. On the other hand we don't know how the accident happened. There might have been additional factors leading to the fatality.

I'm pretty sure it is. It was a S2000, I guess probably an ex-WTCC car.

The accident happened at Mandarin, the fastest corner of the track, a very dangerous and unforgiving one. Apparently the driver misjudged the apex, clipped the armco on the inside, then bounced back in the concrete wall on the outside.
Since when are superbikes allowed on fast bumpy street circuit covered by walls from each side? That's insane for all today's standards...
Quote from Mysho :Since when are superbikes allowed on fast bumpy street circuit covered by walls from each side? That's insane for all today's standards...

You have Isle of Man, why not Macau. It's got some tradition anyway.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :I'm pretty sure it is. It was a S2000, I guess probably an ex-WTCC car.

The accident happened at Mandarin, the fastest corner of the track, a very dangerous and unforgiving one. Apparently the driver misjudged the apex, clipped the armco on the inside, then bounced back in the concrete wall on the outside.

I feared something like that. I couldn't remember it was a concrete wall there to the outside, thought it were railguards as well.
I remember a few years back there was this heavy accident of Franz Engstler where he was injured, but back then that was more André Couto driving under yellow flags and safety car boards full throttle and slamming into his side. Well... anything else known about what injuries Phillip Yau Wing-choi had? If it were neck injuries did he wear a HANS?
Ivan Muller is an idiot... and he proved it... I am really really glad to see MacDowell climbing out of the car, really after all what happened this weekend. I once respected him, but what he did recently is reckless. Of course this was not intentional but it was definately avoidable.

Also, Yann you were right, it was a former Chevrolet factory car, the Eurosport commentators Uwe Winter and BMW's Dirk Adorf confirmed it during the broadcast. And it was a "strange" incident, they said. EDIT 2: so does touringcartimes.com

EDIT: can someone take Oriola's driver license away again? Same category like the Muller incident... congrats Michelisz for winning the Independent's title thanks to d'Aste's retirement. Congrats Huffy for winning the first title and it directly being a world championship.

EDIT 3: Shame that there is no broadcast of the Formula 3 race.

EDIT 4: And Huffy actually won Formula Vauxhall 12 years ago, so it's his second title.
Quote from TFalke55 :Ivan Muller is an idiot... and he proved it... I am really really glad to see MacDowell climbing out of the car, really after all what happened this weekend. I once respected him, but what he did recently is reckless. Of course this was not intentional but it was definately avoidable.

Also, Yann you were right, it was a former Chevrolet factory car, the Eurosport commentators Uwe Winter and BMW's Dirk Adorf confirmed it during the broadcast. And it was a "strange" incident, they said.

EDIT: can someone take Oriola's driver license away again? Same category like the MacDowell... congrats Michelisz for winning the Independent's title thanks to d'Aste's retirement. Congrats Huffy for winning the first title and it directly being a world championship.

Couldn't say it better myself. I totally agree with you. There goes 2012 season.
Didn't expect such madness for the last round.

MICHELISZ FTW!!!

2012 Fia WTCC
(251 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG