The online racing simulator
Expect Forum Disruptions
(74 posts, started )
Hi Victor,
please do you have any updates on the current problem? Nobody was in the office today?
Quote from dUmAsS :quick! punch more speed holes in the server!

we could paint go faster stripes on it...
haven't found the cause yet (well we have an idea, but it requires replacing hardware and the guy who does that for us is on holidays i think until next week, so it can take some days still.)

at least stuff works :P
Hi Victor,
thanks for the update.Well apreciate it .At least it looks promising you found out the issue.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I think we should pay to have a phone embedded into vic's head, so he never needs to suffer the pain of holding a phone to your head.

Hmm... Like this?
Attached images
victors_razor_phone.jpg
Quote from gingerman87 :we could paint go faster stripes on it...

doesnt work lol
Attached images
stri[es.jpg
#32 - joen
Quote from Greboth : doesnt work lol

Well, you gotta make them red ofcourse illepall
It's a well known fact that red cars are faster, so why would it be any different for forums?

update - thursday morning (euro-time) there will be a hardware update, so the forum will experience some downtime then, hopefully followed by a fully functional system.

There will also be a little downtime later tonight. I'll be updating the forum to vb 3.6 .
#34 - Jakg
Quote from Victor :There will also be a little downtime later tonight. I'll be updating the forum to vb 3.6 .

oooooh, souns good!
forum upgraded now.
awesome Victor. Good job
Quote from Victor :forum upgraded now.

Multi Quote is cool

Have you contacted the people about the slow attachments to get their stuff together and install a new whatever?

That sucks, multi quote doesn't work for quick replys..
server maintenance in about 30 minutes (see announcement)
Quote from Victor :server maintenance in about 30 minutes (see announcement)

was everything solved or still some problems running?
I didnt notice for example faster files downloading.
overclock everything

if it is still slow, overclock it more.

if it dies, it was not l33t enough.

go get a mobile barton and OC it to hell and back.:headbang:

shameless plug... my best overclock EVAR
http://geocities.com/gtsiros/overclock.htm

(off topic i know...)
Quote from DEVIL 007 :was everything solved or still some problems running?
I didnt notice for example faster files downloading.

Our servers did get a successful doubling of memory, but the actual problem we were looking for was not fixed still.

The problem is network errors on our upload connection (server -> clients). Tried we have :

-changed the switch we're hookup up to
-changed network cable
-our server has 2 network ports onboard - tried both

... and the problem still remains. So we're starting to fear the worst case, which is a faulty network chip on the motherboard. If that's so, we may need to replace the motherboard, if the ISP peeps can't put in a separate network card (problem is the server is a 2 unit high box - no room for regular cards).
So as you can see, it's a nasty problem and that's the reason it's taking a while unfortunately. But of course we're not giving up. The server simply has to work well, so if a mobo replacement is needed, then that's what we'll do eventually.
Quote from Victor :Our servers did get a successful doubling of memory, but the actual problem we were looking for was not fixed still.

The problem is network errors on our upload connection (server -> clients). Tried we have :

-changed the switch we're hookup up to
-changed network cable
-our server has 2 network ports onboard - tried both

... and the problem still remains. So we're starting to fear the worst case, which is a faulty network chip on the motherboard. If that's so, we may need to replace the motherboard, if the ISP peeps can't put in a separate network card (problem is the server is a 2 unit high box - no room for regular cards).
So as you can see, it's a nasty problem and that's the reason it's taking a while unfortunately. But of course we're not giving up. The server simply has to work well, so if a mobo replacement is needed, then that's what we'll do eventually.

What servers you have running? You should be able to get SFF Nics without problems (most regular NICs for servers come with 2 brackets, a regular and an SFF). However, if the server is HP, IBM, or Dell, then getting them to replace the MB would be cheaper if there was on-site warranty on them (and easier, no reconfig needed).

EDIT: If it's a HP, it might also be a faulty networking teaming setup... If it's not setup, set it up for redundancy... In case one NIC or cable fails, it has failover to the other without downtime
yeah i figured there might be special sized nics for rack servers. Anyway, it's weekend again now, so no progress or news until monday when i'll be whipping the isp guys again.

ps our servers are self built
Quote from george_tsiros :what tagforce said, and that NICs can become pretty small. It's just a tiny chip.

well... http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/ this one isn't very small tho

huh.. that website has alot of interesting info on it, installing hte lagmeter now to determine.. where all my lag has been comming from
because apparently lag can come from many different sources .. interesting
Quote from Victor :yeah i figured there might be special sized nics for rack servers. Anyway, it's weekend again now, so no progress or news until monday when i'll be whipping the isp guys again.

ps our servers are self built

Cool... But I'd seriously consider moving towards a branded server when these need replacing. Yes, they're a bit more expensive, but from experience, the support you get (in terms of software options, and hardware repair) is worth the extra few $.

If you need a NIC, just lemme know... I might be able to sneak a couple of LP (low profile) 3com 1Gb NICs out of the office.
#49 - SamH
Victor, I'm only minutes from there. Will happily do hands-on, if you need. Standing offer
Hi Victor,
really thanks for your resume of the current situation.I wish you good luck with finding out the problem and fixing it.I bet everybody will apreciate the result.

Expect Forum Disruptions
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG