The online racing simulator
Checking if engine is ON or OFF
(9 posts, started )
Hello, i wonder if there is a way to know if engine is ON or OFF ?

I think i can check min RPM by car but may be there is an more efficient way ?

thank you.
I am not sure if there is a better way, but checking the RPM from the OutGauge packets is how I determined if the car is on or off in my AI project and it has seemed to work reasonably well.
Thank you for your reply, it's the only way i found, under 900 RPM i can say that the engine is off.
Quote from Androme :Thank you for your reply, it's the only way i found, under 900 RPM i can say that the engine is off.

I'd go with a lower number for a more reliable check. 900 rpm can be achieved by releasing the clutch too fast. I think usually 400~500 rpm is the chosen figure for this .

And yes, checking rpm through OutGauge is the only way to check it.
For my needs 400-500 RPM creates too high latency to know if engine is off, i'll try 800RPM so if 900 is too high.
Quote from Androme :For my needs 400-500 RPM creates too high latency to know if engine is off, i'll try 800RPM so if 900 is too high.

Well, use whatever suits your needs, obviously xD. I was just pointing out that it could cause false readings and mess with "auto switching on" kind of programs for example.
I never seen my RPM below 900 simply because i'm a bad sim, i don't use manual clutch Big grin, sorry if my language seem's rude, it's not my natural language.
Nah, don't worry.

With manual clutch I'm able to drop to about 500 rpm without stalling the car, though that usually happens during the outlaps, not on qualifying/race.
I managed to stall the car after a pit stop during a race (not once, but twice haha) due to bad timing on my footwork xD

If you are making an app for personal use then is not relevant to you, but is worth noting it in case someone with manual clutch uses it.
It's for a buttonbox project with feedback.

(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG