The online racing simulator
BMW E36 - 3D scan to LFS MOD
Hey everyone! Super exited to share these news!

Me and my friends are working on overfenders for my E36 Sedan chassis. We already have the Coupe version developed for my track car (old fashioned way, no 3d scanning).

With the sedan, we decided to 3D scan the car and design the overfenders digitally since it is faster and lots more accurate to mirror the parts.

So with this opportunity, I'll be using the 3D scanned model of the car to make a couple of mods for LFS, using the real cars dimensions!

Here are some pics of the process! This silver E36 is my friend's E36, he lent over his car so we could scan it. My own E36's are too banged up for this (because racecar).

The black coupe is my track car and nicknamed Bella. It was RB swapped, the bay was so tasty I couldn't help myself not to post it. Wink Unfortunately it dropped a valve after 6 years of constant 8000+ RPM limiter bashing, uncountable amounts of tires shredded and loads of FUN and great memories. Now swapping back a M50 BMW engine to keep the thing going.

The black sedan is my daily drifter beater (also the car on my profile pic). Practice car, although it looks beat up for now, it ought to be looking tight after we finish developing the body kit.

Cheers to my mates SBRBOUS (Jeff) which is also member of this community and a real life best friend, for helping me out with 3D modeling since he is the real artist and I'm just his apprentice, to my friend JP for lending over his E36 for the scanning and my friend Vithor, who's the one behind manufacturing the body kits (he also does carbon/kevlar parts for racecars).

TDN (Team Drift Nation) is my own real life drift team since 2013, hence all the mods have this prefix to be easily identified.

I'll be posting the progress of this MOD and hope y'all enjoy this project as much as we are!
Attached images
e36 on site.jpeg
e36 3d raw.jpeg
Bella naked.jpg
Bella DS.jpeg
RB Bella Bay.jpeg
Bella vs Frank.jpeg
328 01.jpeg
328 02.jpeg
E36 Digital.png
Update!

Created a very low poly mesh just to mock up the dimensions on the editor.

And it is on point!!

2700mm wheelbase matched with great success! I'm also going to simulate, as best as possible, all the suspension pickup points and arms length etc. (see attached pic)

The angle kit I run on both my cars was developed by me back in 2015, and has NEGATIVE Ackerman and around 73 degrees of lock. I won't be able to replicate that exactly on LFS but I'll do my best to make it feel as close to my real cars as possible.

I opened the STL file (from the 3D scan) on Blender, saved as a OBJ, imported on Instant Meshes to lower poly count and exported as OBJ again to import on LFS Editor.

This is the process we will be using to develop this mod!
Attached images
first LFS Editor import.png
E36.png
Wow! Dreams come true. Scanned cars in LFS!
Keep it up! Very interesting!
This is super exciting! Keep us posted Smile
This is impressive. I'm excited to see where this goes over time!
#6 - jujek
any new news aboout the car?
So, just here to update on this little project.

Been away from LFS for a while due to a broken PC.

Just got it back up and running and currently building a better gamer setup.

Plus I'v been very busy finishing the 328 Sedan, painting it and all. The widebody is near its finishing stages, just a matter of routing the molds and laying fiber!

Here a couple of shots of my 328 Sedan and also my ProComp Coupe E36.

The comp car is getting a M50NV without the tilt, custom ITB and plenum and custom twin scroll exhaust manifold, twin plate clutch, 350z trans and all the good stuff.

All the work done by me, and me only.

So bear with me on this 3D scanned model, it will be ready eventually!

Cheers!!
Attached images
7.jpeg
8.jpeg
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
6.jpeg

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG