The online racing simulator
Next big update?
AS you all know, our beloved three LFS developers have been hard at work created the new graphics and night overhaul and the physics model Big grin

So, my question is, what is the next goal?
Now I am not rushing, instead I am appreciating every part of the fact that this game is still being updated after 20 years Big grin. (although I think everyone can agree that it would be great to have some extra news on the coming overhauls, like just a few posts or even just screenshots Wink.

This is just a general questions for the developers to answer and for the community to react to:
Will it be dynamic weather (Rain, snow, water dynamics)? Custom map modding (terrain paint would be a great addition and vegetation)? better online support? Big (or small) changes to the damage model? New licensed vehicles or circuits?
Or maybe you want to settle down and work on something simpler Wink

Thank you Smile
Looking at the current work, it seems that the team is only working on the mod. I haven't seen any new progress on the major graphics update on the forum in nearly 2 years. If it's still in development, I'm guessing the Graphics update won't arrive until at least 2030. It looks like we don't have time to see the other big updates (dynamic weather, rain). (we're all getting old)

I don't react to the slow development of the game. After all, it was developed by 3 people and continues to be developed. I want people to know how the real progress in graphics and physics is going. Smile

Don't misunderstand my answer, we all enjoy playing this game. However, new major developments excite us and give us hope. Smile
Rather than thinking what's next, I'd focus my attention to the updates that are already cooking in the pot. Scawen mentioned that after this last patch E9 he released today, he will work on tire physics, so we're closer than ever to the big one.

But if I had to play a fortune teller a bit, I have to say the next big thing would be track editor, not counting all sorts of small quality of life updates for LFS that will take place along side it. It's just a guess.
I think Track Editor is not planned anytime soon or at all.
There was a screenshot that showed the editor but with an explanation that it is only usable for internal use.

I do not remember any posts about dynamic weather or rain.
Day/Night cycle is planned but iirc no weather.

By my reading, LFS is currently developed in two separate versions.
One version with the big changes, and one version that we are currently playing. Both get developed in parallel.
Sometimes changes from the "new" version seem to bleed over into the "public" version, for example the moving subojects. (pop-up headlights etc) or changes to dust effect. However the big plan is to combine into one version.

That version includes changes like:
-new tire physics
-new graphics systems:
--less stutter, especially in VR, by better syncing physics and graphics updates at 1000Hz (or something like that)
--day/night, dynamic lights
-new objects (signs with editable letters, more chalk marks, curbs etc)

Other updates in progress are:
-overhaul existing tracks
-larger area for South City
-two new tracks (Airfield Racetrack & Testing Ground)
-higher resolution for analog input
I feel it's a bit pointless to think about really, all we can do is to wait for the updates that are currently being developed.
All these things have been mentioned before, you can read this subforum if you want to dive in.

i'm interested in what you mean by better online support though, I know that there's been some server hiccups and car-to car contact is pretty bad, but aside from that, LFS' online system is very good from my POV.
#6 - cuni
Here, a bit more fuel for the fire
Attached images
asdasd.png
What are the units of values in Y-axis? This is a prediction of what exactly? Smile
#8 - Pukyy
Quote from cuni :Here, a bit more fuel for the fire...

S2 to S3 gap was 10 years, so, by my immense brainpower and calculations, I predict S4(with new graphic and physics) comes in 2025, 10 years after S3. Big Brein Did I Say That?
I still don't understand the speculations about S4. There has never been any info or even slightest hints about that. S-numbers are licence levels which decide access of content,nothing else - the graphics are same and the physics are same for all licence holders.

Next big update?
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG