The online racing simulator
Ddoss back in 2010 to 2024.
(32 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
Welp, looks like are in another constant state of deadlock due to the ddoss, go to play the weekend - nope, go to play after hours when no ones on - nope.

10+ years of ddossing and it's still a massive pain in the butt. Why has this been allowed to go on for so long. I would genuiunely like to know, this is absolutely unacceptable regardless of what the reasonings are.
WKD maybe? Someone has to speak up about this soon, backstab or not. There has to be some motive behind this, unless its some solo crackhead or degenerate who enjoys saddness.

Lack of licence purchase? Poor server quality? Lack of updates? An ill-fated wish to empty LFS from its users from past run-ins with admins mayhe? There has to be SOME grevience that causes this. DDoS is not fully automated like something a bot could do, so surely it stemmed from something.

Then again.... anything is possible
Quote from MicroSpecV :WKD maybe? Someone has to speak up about this soon, backstab or not. There has...

no i'm not wanting to know who or why it is, i want to know how it keeps happening, why isn't scawen able to prevent this after 10+years of dealing with it.
Quote from JayDeM :why isn't scawen able to prevent this

Because there is no magic switch to turn off idiots with access to way too much resources. And high level DDoS protection costs a lot of money,which is obviosly not involved in this indy project LFS is.
From various Discord discussions I've seen many wannabe experts (including you) who propose to simply turn off DDoS attacks or suggest other very simple solutions,howeven none of them actually maintains any internet based service - so their "expertise" is very questionable.
Quote from Eclipsed :Because there is no magic switch to turn off idiots with access to way too much...

10+ years and can't come up with solution.

Don't imply I simply believe to be as easy as "turn off ddoss" "get better security" as that is not what I have ever said.

10+ years and a dev cannot come up with a solution then they should terminate the game as no one can play it.
Quote from Eclipsed :Can you?

it's not my game to maintain where people have spent their money on.

Nice try eclipsed, be better.
Quote from JayDeM :people have spent their money on.

And that exactly is the biggest problem here! The money people spent is not enough to live with for 2 (and a half?) developers AND maintain web services with high level DDoS protection,which in normal world (with people with healthy thinking) would not be even needed.
Quote from Eclipsed :And that exactly is the biggest problem here! The money people spent is not...

So what do you think is acceptable action to be taken, considering this only puts a bad image on Liveforspeed as they can't maintain their servers. Games have been terminated for less, either come up with a solution or terminate that's the only two plausible answers regarding this.

The steam arguement has come and gone and we've heard reasonings for why that won't happen.
You can't continue this as it is, it's hindering multiple events people wait for.
To gain traction for more money incoming is not possible due the ddoss, especially when it comes to Esports.

Seems all you wanna do is just say "oh well" and take a L, sorry that's not acceptable in the books.

Fix it or close it is your options.

Lfs is a product and if a product can't be maintained then it should be sold to somewhere else that can, if you don't want to do that then I suggest find something to make some income.
This is pointless, there is no way to prevent DDoS'ing without having immense financial resources to spend on such protection. There is no "solution" to be found, especially by a single person absolutelly overloaded with pressure about updates, security, bug fixes etc. etc.

There can be no fix other than throwing money at the problem when it comes to DDoS'es, if you're so sick and tired of them, maybe throw a couple grand into Scawen's bank account each month and appropriate DDoS security would be implemented.

Or perchance you could brainstorm a solution all by yourself, because you seem to be so knowledgable about the issue that you would know how to fix the issue in less than 10+ years time. Every time an issue like this arises there's people like you that think it's a simple fix, it's not.
Also, I agree with you on LFS being a product, and a product is tailored to a certain audience. If you don't like it, consider "terminating" your use of it, go to another simulator if you find "taking an L" is not acceptable.
Quote from Pukyy :This is pointless, there is no way to prevent DDoS'ing without having immense...

Explain where I said i'm so knowledgable on the issue? No where do i express that I know how to correct/ fix it. I am simply expressing my opinions.

Also would instead of lfs providing hosting we go back to allowing people to host them selves wouldn't that then put the effort of ddoss protection in the hands of the server host vs lfs host?
Quote from Pukyy :Also, I agree with you on LFS being a product, and a product is tailored to a...

Sorry, this is unacceptable. Maybe to you who has been playing it for only 2 years does not yet know the aggervation that this has causes a magnitude of lfs player base to decrease.
Quote from JayDeM :Sorry, this is unacceptable. Maybe to you who has been playing it for only 2...

Luckily, the attackers will be used to come back to their usual routine like trading cruise/cracked accounts and etc pretty soon IMO

Lets just think as an adults, not a politicians
just find kaan, interogate and beat his ass, then sue him and break his computer.
Quote from JayDeM :Explain where I said i'm so knowledgable on the issue? No where do i express...

too much work for self-runned servers bro, the way it currently is its easy as 5 clicks to make a host
we could make good relations with the ddosers if they were found to establish something.
i found someone in dc allegedly says that he pays someone to ddos
Quote from JayDeM :Explain where I said i'm so knowledgable on the issue? No where do i express that I know how to correct/ fix it.

You've made that clear. If you knew anything about it, you would know it's not that easy. If these DDoS kids are targeting you, you're having a bad time. Only very big companies with very big expensive protection can tackle this, but even then not without problems.

Stopping the game because of people doing this is the worst thing you can do, that's what these kids want you to do. LFS should just carry on, look for affordable solutions and ignore these kids. Their interest in DDoSsing will die as soon as no one pays attention to them. That usually works with kids throwing a tantrum.
Why the DDOS attacks keep happening? Probably because whoever is sending those attacks has nothing better to do in their sad life and probably get some kind of satisfaction from doing that.

As from LFS' side, I've read many posts by devs and moderators saying that LFS is really struggling to get anything really done to protect the services or 'cancel' out the attacks. This doesn't mean that they're not working on it, it means that considering available funds, it's not easy as everyone is thinking it would be.

There are multiple solutions to consider but most of them all require money. The easiest way (although probably the most expensive) would be to get Cloudflare or OVH, maybe even TCPShield (though that's aimed more towards Minecraft servers). A bit more technical though a bit cheaper (I think) would be renting out VPS servers and using them as a shield for the main server. Yet that has a negative side of increasing latency most likely.

And the most cheapest choice (yet the option people don't like) is to ignore the attacks, wait until servers get back online. Attacks are quite short time wise and shouldn't interrupt too much (unless it happens on some race event time, which then it would just obviously suck).

Quote from JayDeM :
Also would instead of lfs providing hosting we go back to allowing people to host them selves wouldn't that then put the effort of ddoss protection in the hands of the server host vs lfs host?

By idea it would but that won't happen. Doing that would bring back the main issue of licenses being cracked, putting LFS devs in more worse position than they already are and potentially harming the players computer due to players using unlockers and what else. Has happened before and will happen again
now we wait
Quote from SupPah :There are multiple solutions to consider but most of them all require money. The easiest way (although probably the most expensive) would be to get Cloudflare or OVH, maybe even TCPShield (though that's aimed more towards Minecraft servers). A bit more technical though a bit cheaper (I think) would be renting out VPS servers and using them as a shield for the main server. Yet that has a negative side of increasing latency most likely.

LFS already uses CloudFlare for the website. I think it gets more complex when it comes to protecting the game servers, so I guess you can’t just slap CloudFlare on top of it and it’s solved.
Quote from Flame CZE :LFS already uses CloudFlare for the website. I think it gets more complex when...

There actually is a plan made by Cloudflare for game servers but considering they only do custom solutions, I can imagine it would be way too expensive. Good point though!
Quote from SupPah :Why the DDOS attacks keep happening? Probably because whoever is sending those...

Thank you for the information, I appreciate you giving me a explanation and a bit of understanding.
Quote from Eclipsed :Can you?

Kind of a 3rd grader type of answer. Just accept the fact that there are many aspects where LFS lacks and we can't do nothing about it.
This thread is closed

(32 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG