The online racing simulator
How to stop cracks. Completly.
As the master server is checked when going online, surely it would be an idea to have a master server check every time when someone uses S2 content. This would stop cracks completly.
#2 - Vain
And additionally it will stop people from using a bought product without an internet connection. This is a great idea! This way we can prohibit people from using a legally bought product! Additionally this will make everyone hate LFS for free. It can't get better than that!

My doctor said that these pills were supposed to help against sarcasm - doesn't seem to work.

Vain
thats what i said in the last thread about how to prevent cheating and cracks duke; but thats not how the system works unfortunately
obviously since this is a public forum i cannot say how its done etc.

problem with what your saying, is that if someone doesn't have access to the internet temporarily.. they wont be able to play
Quote from duke_toaster :As the master server is checked when going online, surely it would be an idea to have a master server check every time when someone uses S2 content. This would stop cracks completly.

Presuming that the function isnt obsfuscated in anyway, alnd assuming it was just a bool response, all you'd have to do is patch LFS so that it returned true each time. Ok, thats a massive over simplication but it's the method in a nutshell. At the end of the day, any client side security will be vulnerable - which is why it's mostly done server side.

Plus, as stated the system wouldnt allow offline play
hmm not sure i understood but maybe it checks when you unlock s2 or try to go online for a race.
#6 - Woz
It is impossible to stop cracks for software. With LFS it is not possible to play s1/2 content online so that it the key point.

iD Games could not secure Q3 offline but could online, same with Valve with HL2.

Even a company with the resources of MS cant stop a crack of their DRM system, this should highlight that LFS security is good enough.
#7 - Jakg
Let the devs worry about piracy, we should be worrying about lap times and race craft. .
I think LFS is pretty pirate-free compared with other games. Being online focused, what can you do with a cracked S2? Play offline or maybe set up some virtual LAN to play with someone? Nah, that way you are missing the real LFS. So as long as the master server is secured and the code is cheat free I think everything is ok. Let them play their AI races...
why do other users care if a few users crack s2? Surely that should be the devs concern? Anyone enjoying the game to it's fullest has paid for it.
LFS already checks your liscense when you join servers. So, that means that crackers can not play online. That is good enough!
Quote from Becky Rose :Let the devs worry about piracy, we should be worrying about lap times and race craft. .

Even more importantly for those in the US, we should be spreading around LFS to our friends and getting more people racing. 14 servers - 1 Australia, 3 drift/cops n robbers, 1 guy in a server by himself, and 2 showing with noone racing. That leaves 43 racers in 7 servers total for LFS in the US. That is pitiful.
Or since the majority of LFS is its online line componant you use the normal crack and cheat preventions for offline and every time you go online it validates your licence and your file integrity before allowing you to play online.
Sounds like Steam.
Quote from wheel4hummer :LFS already checks your liscense when you join servers. So, that means that crackers can not play online. That is good enough!

* When you request the servers list

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG