The online racing simulator
32x fast forward laggy in S2
(6 posts, started )
Hi,

I've been experiencing a slight glitch with the 32x fast forward mode in replays since S2.
All the other fast forward modes are working smoothly but the 32x mode seems to be very laggy. It almost seems as though my CPU (AMD XP 2200+) was overloaded and couldn't cope with the load of calculations. It really looks like a slide show as there only seems to be an update every 200-500 meters.
Also, when trying to get back to 16x mode, there's a delay of 1-2 seconds - just as if the CPU didn't have time to register the inputs instantly.

I don't recall having these kinds of problems back in S1. 32x ff was just as smooth as any other mode.

biggie
Well this seems pretty normal, there are many more calculations being made in S2 remember, its more more intensive than S1. In fact I'm suprised you dont get any 'lagging' in 16x mode with a 2200+. I have a 3200+ and that slows down horrendously in 32x too.
Mine does the same in 32x FF aswell biggie, and im using the same CPU as you.

I dont think its a bug, our pc's just cant keep up - Im sure its fine for those with top of the line gear..
I'm using an XP 3200+ and with one car on track can play some replays at 32x quite smoothly, but only after it's been going for a while. I don't know why this is, perhaps it's still loading textures the first time round?

With any significant number of cars on track though it's a bit jerky in 4x and very jerky at 8x.

I think it's to be expected, especially as LFS is so CPU dependant in terms of how well it runs. Having to do 32x the number of physics calculations per second will hog the CPU a lot.
Good point, I was talking about viewing with 10+ cars on the track or in view. With less cars it runds smoother.
Yes, I agree with all of you that S2 has definitely become a little more CPU-intensive due to advanced physics. But not to such an extent as the frame rates haven't been dropping a whole lot since S1.

Still I think it shouldn't be that the 32x ff mode gets all jerky and laggy even to the extent that LFS doesn't react to any input for 1-2 seconds. If I assume correctly, this mode works by "dropping" physics calculations and it just uses "bigger steps" for the calculation of the next physics update. So it would seem the FF mode shouldn't become a whole lot more CPU-intensive because a lot of calculations in between are being dropped (you won't notice them anyway with those high speeds).
But I think the only one to comment on this from a technical point-of-view is Scawen anyway, so these are just an outsider's assumptions

All I know is that back in S1 this 32x mode was working properly (even with a grid of 10+ cars in MP replays) while in S2 a replay of a single car makes it seem like there's something wrong. This laggyness just felt a little weird to me so I thought I might report it here.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG