The online racing simulator
Handbrake adds to Brake...
(8 posts, started )
Just noticed something odd, I was doing doughnuts in the FZR whilst I had my footbrake full depressed. Then I applied the handbrake... And my car came to a standstill gradually. It appears as though depressing the handbrake ADDS to the braking force even though the footbrake was fully depressed. Something to look at, methinks.
This is not a bug unless your brake ratio when you did this was set to 100% Rear and 0% Front. The handbrake will add to the braking in the rear wheels because you do not have 100% full brake ratio in the rear for your normal brakes. Set the rear brake ratio to 100% and see if it continue to do it, if it does then yeah it's a problem.
#3 - ORION
Imo the handbrake is to soft in S2, it's barely possible to lockup the wheels.....
Quote from ORION :Imo the handbrake is to soft in S2, it's barely possible to lockup the wheels.....

Yeah. I don't know why we can't adjust it anymore.

As to the topic, brakes seem really weird. Switch to forces view, and turn the wheel left and right a few times when the car is stopped (look at the front wheels of course). Now do the same with the brake pedal pressed. There shouldn't be a difference. There's forces all over the place. Another problem with the low speed physics. Due to the lack of canned affects in LFS, you can feel it in the FFB too. I haven't really tested at speed, but I assume this sillyness wouldn't be going on then.
Quote from JamesF1 :Just noticed something odd, I was doing doughnuts in the FZR whilst I had my footbrake full depressed. Then I applied the handbrake... And my car came to a standstill gradually. It appears as though depressing the handbrake ADDS to the braking force even though the footbrake was fully depressed. Something to look at, methinks.

yeah your handbreak is affected by your overall rear break pressure set. if you set it reallly high in the rear then the handbreak is strong.

IRL can you have the pressure for a handbreak w/ rear tires higher than with the foot break for rear tires?
I realise that you can have this happen on a real car, BUT this was a significant advance on what I would expect from the handbrake.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah. I don't know why we can't adjust it anymore.

As to the topic, brakes seem really weird. Switch to forces view, and turn the wheel left and right a few times when the car is stopped (look at the front wheels of course). Now do the same with the brake pedal pressed. There shouldn't be a difference. There's forces all over the place. Another problem with the low speed physics. Due to the lack of canned affects in LFS, you can feel it in the FFB too. I haven't really tested at speed, but I assume this sillyness wouldn't be going on then.

Well you are bound to get force because the centre of the contact patch and the intersection of the steering axis and ground are nowhere near eachother. The wheels actually roll forwards and backwards when you steer while stationary, so obviously of you apply brake you generate a force resisting this roll.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah. I don't know why we can't adjust it anymore.

This is because the steering pivot and the contact patch of the tire are not in the same place. When you steer, the tire does not rotate on it's axis, rather it moves slightly forward and back. Obviously when you have the brakes applied, the tires can't roll as easily, so they have to slide. You can even feel this in the FFB, I've never felt another sim that actually simulates this, which is really neat. You can't really feel this in your road car, because of the power steering and less grippy tires. I'd imagine a Lotus Elise or Caterham/Westfield/Donkervoort owner could feel it, though.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG