The online racing simulator
Off-road vehicles
(18 posts, started )
Off-road vehicles
I just got a Logitech G25, and combined with LFS, it's an amazing simulation platform. The problem is, as much as I love road racing, I want to go off-road, too! I want to hit jumps and catch air! Hell, I'd like to go pounding about in a monster truck. But I want to do so in a real simulator, and LFS has me spoiled rotten; nothing less will do.

The LFS engine is so flexible, and covers such a wide range of 4-wheeled motorsports, why not true off-road vehicles and some real terrain to chew up? If nothing else, it would be a great test of the physics engine.

I suppose (hope) we'll be able to create things like that for ourselves, when the game is finally finished, but it sure would be nice to get something in the mean time.

Rock on, guys. LFS rules.
Quote from Eric Tetz :I just got a Logitech G25, and combined with LFS, it's an amazing simulation platform. The problem is, as much as I love road racing, I want to go off-road, too! I want to hit jumps and catch air! Hell, I'd like to go pounding about in a monster truck. But I want to do so in a real simulator, and LFS has me spoiled rotten; nothing less will do.

The LFS engine is so flexible, and covers such a wide range of 4-wheeled motorsports, why not true off-road vehicles and some real terrain to chew up? If nothing else, it would be a great test of the physics engine.

I suppose (hope) we'll be able to create things like that for ourselves, when the game is finally finished, but it sure would be nice to get something in the mean time.

Rock on, guys. LFS rules.

We do not *yet* have any proper off road vehicles but the RB4 is a rally-x car so knock yourself out.
Quote from Eric Tetz :Anything more current? That's 5 years old, and refused to run on my PC. One of the video options was for Glide. *lol*

Pretty much no. There should be direct3d exe for that but I just tried to run it and it just didn't work. And after 4th crash I decided to give a rest

But I'll check RSC before completely forgetting it

EDIT: I downloaded these and got it running pretty well (gl version), but I have the full version
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=247279
Quote from Eric Tetz :Anything more current? That's 5 years old, and refused to run on my PC. One of the video options was for Glide. *lol*

I suppose it is not the same as 4x4 evo 2 which came with my Radeon 9700 card. Cannot remember it having a Glide option and certainly it has more than 10 licensed cars (around 120?). I remember it had 2001-02 GMC, Chevrolet, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti etc etc licensed off roaders, which can be upgraded with all kind of 'toys'(like turbo chargers and safari snorkels). So maybe that would be more "current". Quite ok graphics for it's age, but cannot give much credit for being realistic (more like arcade)

http://www.4x4evolution.com/
Quote from Aquilifer :I suppose it is not the same as 4x4 evo 2 which came with my Radeon 9700 card. Cannot remember it having a Glide option

Maybe it coming with your ATi card, and Glide being old 3dfx libraries has something to do with that...

On topic: I hate you people for already having a G25, and the only off-road game I have is Gripped (which had glide).
None of the Rallycross circuits currently available would challenge a production SUV such as a Nissan Pathfiner.

Make a LONG snad track filled with sand dunes like those a real desert would have. Add VERY realistic sand driving physics, Pajero Evolutions, Volkswagon Touregs, etc and we've got a Paris Dakar Rally Style enduro! Done properly, we'll attract licensees from an entirely new crowd: the serious rally raiders.
By the way, I found one: a mod for rFactor called V8 Buggies. This mod demonstrates two things:

(1) rFactor's physics are excellent. I prefer the feel of LFS on the track, but if a mod like this was made for LFS there would be lots of bizarre issues like being launched into the sky spinning like a torpedo (happens in autocross tracks all the time).

(2) Supporting user mods freakin' kicks ass. The buggies mod is not very polished -- it's just about having fun -- but there are rFactor mods that are every bit as polished as the first-party content.

Hopefully LFS supports modding sometime soon (like, before the end of the decade ^_^ ).
Who cares about big, slow SUVs? I'd rather take a Baja Buggy out for a spin
Quote from KillerMonkey :Who cares about big, slow SUVs? I'd rather take a Baja Buggy out for a spin

Last time I checked, Porche Cayenne Turbo S's ate Porsche Boxter S's on the track.

Truth is, there are currently NO circuits in LFS that would even stress a normal production SUV. There are NO circuits or tacks that suit any form of off-road vehicle in LFS yet (hopefully).
Quote from Jamexing :Last time I checked, Porche Cayenne Turbo S's ate Porsche Boxter S's on the track.

Truth is, there are currently NO circuits in LFS that would even stress a normal production SUV. There are NO circuits or tacks that suit any form of off-road vehicle in LFS yet (hopefully).

And last time I checked, Baja Buggies ate Porsche Boxter Ss around the track and pretty much everywhere else!

I agree about the lack of nice off-road tracks though.
Quote from KillerMonkey :And last time I checked, Baja Buggies ate Porsche Boxter Ss around the track and pretty much everywhere else!

Baja buggys aren't exactly track cars. Their off road tires would be horrid in circuit use. Of course, they'll eat up almost every other class of 4 wheeled off-roader in pure speed, but that's another matter. Unless they have their suspensions retuned and reshod with tarmac biased tyres, you'll be surprised how badly they'll struggle on a twisty road track.

And last time I checked, modified production SUVs doing 120km/h and jumping over sand dunes in the Paris Dakar Rally isn't exactly slow motion.
Quote from Jamexing :Baja buggys aren't exactly track cars. Their off road tires would be horrid in circuit use. Of course, they'll eat up almost every other class of 4 wheeled off-roader in pure speed, but that's another matter. Unless they have their suspensions retuned and reshod with tarmac biased tyres, you'll be surprised how badly they'll struggle on a twisty road track.

And last time I checked, modified production SUVs doing 120km/h and jumping over sand dunes in the Paris Dakar Rally isn't exactly slow motion.

Yes, but for example the Porsche Cayenne's stock tyres aren't very well suited to offroad use. In either case, it's not that hard to put other tyres on and I don't think retuning the suspension will be all that hard.

As for the modified production SUVs.. well, they're modified too, aren't they? (not sure to what extent though?)
Anyway, back to the point.

+infinity for addition of proper off-road vehicles. Anything form a Willys Jeep lookalike to Pajero EVOs and Baja racers with 36 inchess of suspension travel are welcome.

As for the Porsche, yes, there is now a very limited selecion of all-terrain tires for it these days. As for the suspension, it's a computer controlled airbag system with electronically controlled shocks, so off-road trim is just a push buton away. In fact, it is better off-road than virtually every other car in its class, barring the Range Rover of course.

Off-road vehicles
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG