The online racing simulator
changing game physics..
(27 posts, started )
changing game physics..
i just have to ask!

is there a difference between online and singleplayer physics?

as i noticed quite well last night, i had much less grip and couldn't get as fast times offline as i did online! and i felt that the difference was quite big..

it was the same track, same car, same setup, so i can't see anything else being different..

has anyone else experienced this, or is my mind playing tricks on me?
#2 - Jakg
No - its that crazy drifting brain of yours.

It could be a small timing bug, but the grip thing could be tyres (or dirt - as i discovered at karting today!)
Your mind is playing tricks. Have a nice day.

Can you believe it, I made it through one complete post without making fun of drifters. It can be done, all thanks to E-Z-PostMakerPro! Order yours at www.[COLOR=Red]e-[/COLOR][color=RoyalBlue]z-[/color][color=Red]post[/color][color=RoyalBlue]maker[/color][color=Red]pro[/color][color=Lime].com[/color] before the stocks run out!
as they say, who you race with effects how fast you are; if your racing against someone that is challenging to you, you'll most likely land up getting WAY faster times than you would just driving by yourself

just how the mind works..
#5 - Don
also, online you could gain some time when going in slipstream behind some opponent AND the wind speed/direction could be better?
The wind can also make a big difference as it can change it's strength and direction.
Quote from XCNuse :as they say, who you race with effects how fast you are; if your racing against someone that is challenging to you, you'll most likely land up getting WAY faster times than you would just driving by yourself

just how the mind works..

Or slower as your blocking etc. But in this case what you said is true.

Only other thing i can think of is fuel - if i race sp i am usually doing full fuel run practices which is extra weight.
well i dont put weight into consideration only because the way lfs' physics work

a while back i cant remember who set it up, but we'd have like 3 or so races, and the top 3 people have balasts put in their cars to slow them down.. i was winning all of them, and had a car full of people and full of gas, and i was only 1 second slower than my normal times for blackwood.. and i wasn't wearing my tires down at all; the more weight in LFS, the more grip you have, but you may be sliiiiightly slower but not enough to make a huge difference, but afterwards i raced with no people and just enough fuel, and i was going way slower than my pr because i was sliding everywhere due to little weight on the tires, so they just slid around
One thing that could affect you if you are running with AI in singleplayer is frame rate. If you loose enough frame rate due to AI compared with multiplayer, it can affect your controls, thus you won't be able to run as well. As your framerate gets choppy, so does your control input from controller/visual screen update lag.
what are your laptimes online and offline?
My laptimes in SP are usually better than in MP... How about that for your theory?
mine? its not a theory, its proven; if you go faster in singleplayer then you must not be challenged by who your racing against online; once you get someone who is challenging and makes you drive faster... you'll get better times
I'm slower online, constantly fighting people and lag slow me down.

Wait, I'm just slow anyway. I can't get used to driving with a wheel at all.
Quote from spankmeyer :[...]
Can you believe it, I made it through one complete post without making fun of drifters. It can be done, all thanks to E-Z-PostMakerPro! Order yours at www.e-z-postmakerpro.com before the stocks run out!

Quote from Firefox :Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.e-z-postmakerpro.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

1st of all.. this has NOTHING to do with drifting!

2nd, i was racing alone, both online and offline..

3rd, as i said it was the same track, same car, same setup.. and it was with the BF1 i noticed this with, so it couldn't have been dirt tires.. or?

well, can using test patches to compare make a huge difference? not sure what version the server was running, but atleast it was U.. i'm running test 27 atm..
Quote from XCNuse :mine? its not a theory, its proven; if you go faster in singleplayer then you must not be challenged by who your racing against online; once you get someone who is challenging and makes you drive faster... you'll get better times

It might be true in your particular circumstance, but you would need more evidence than that to claim it as proof.

What is hotlapping if not a single player mode, with no direct competition ? I usually warm up in single player mode before hotlapping, or going on line ( if there's time, and lots of people playing on a track I haven't been on in a while), and I haven't noticed any particular change in grip.

Not saying that having competition isn't a motivator, but it isn't necessarily the only motivator for everyone.
were your tyres the same temperature in both cases, or were you restarting single player frequently, leaving you with cold tyres all the time?
pretty cold tires in general, started several races online, and offline.. but experienced less grip in singleplayer mode..

i know it sounds weird!
Quote from keltern :pretty cold tires in general, started several races online, and offline.. but experienced less grip in singleplayer mode..

i know it sounds weird!

Did you have any spins or lock ups in single player?

I know of a particular setup (FOX, FE Green), so that if you spin once the car starts to fishtail at every corner. Several other racers on the server also admitted to it. So... perfect grip. After spin - awful grip.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from keltern :3rd, as i said it was the same track, same car, same setup.. and it was with the BF1 i noticed this with, so it couldn't have been dirt tires.. or?

no, if you go off the track you get dirt on the tyres which loses you a LOT of grip!
jakq, have you read anything i've written.. maybe dirt tires can be interpreted as dirt on tires, but i was talking about dirt-tires (rallytires?)

no dirt on startup on SO sprint 1 as far as i know..
You most certainly took the first few corners different in SP than you did in MP, which resulted in different tire temperatures, which ultimately lead to different laptimes I think... That or you just weren't driving at the limit...
Sorry, you're tripping man, forget about it... When you got better times, you were driving better, and vice versa.
#24 - Jakg
Quote from keltern :jakq, have you read anything i've written.. maybe dirt tires can be interpreted as dirt on tires, but i was talking about dirt-tires (rallytires?)

no dirt on startup on SO sprint 1 as far as i know..

ah, thought you were on Aston or something (you didn't say what track before!)

Tyre heat perhaps?
the rubber was around the same temperatures as well.. so, i don't get it..

changing game physics..
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG