The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you set your own car up?

Well I kinda customise other people's setups
Yes, I set my own cars up
No, I use other people's setups
I drive the cars straight out of the box
Someone sent me a FOX setup for aston, and I modified it for BL and SO. I only make my own set if i have spare time. Only setup I have completely made from scratch is a XRR oval setup.
I downloaded the inferno pack once and most of my sets are some incarnation of one of those. I almost always have to decrappitize the suspension (no offense Mr. Fast Guys) because they always seem way to stiff and unstable. I've gotten to the point where I can usually drive a few laps and decide to either keep it or tweak it. When I do have to mess with it, it usually only takes a couple tries to get it right. If I don't have an inferno set to start with for the particular combo I'm on, I'll just build on one from a combo of similar length at that track or something.
Well i usually modify other people sets but i'll try to make my own sets now, im making a set for Fern Bay Black REV its good for my driving style but quite slow lol
I use anything that dadge gives me, I often tweak the brakes and tyre pressures. I won't really make my own set unless i am forced to, and then i just splice a few sets together.
TBH, I dont know most of that cr@p in the pits i just change some sliders to what they where on my old setup from the new one and use the Modified new one
#31 - Gunn
I use my own sets for all cars and can honestly say that I almost never try another person's set. I wouldn't really know if my sets are fast or slow, I just set up my cars to respond to the way I like to race. I disregard hotlapping from the outset and only concentrate on race sets.

Making my own setups is one very enjoyable and challenging aspect of Live For Speed, it's another dimension to this sim that adds value for me.
I have actually started making my own setups recently. But I usually have someone else's setup to be used as a basis, which I then try to edit to my preference. I usually start with a decent setup and drive it for 40 laps or so to get a feeling for it. Then when I know what I want to chance in that setup I start to work. Most of the time the setup just gets worse but then suddenly I make a small change to it (like editing the dampers just a little bit) and it becomes a whole lot better.

Just like the last LXCC SO4 LX6 setup. I used biggie's SO4 setup as a base and made small changes to it only noticing that I was getting strange bump oversteers, corner-in pushy behaviours etc.. Then I made some small changes and suddenly the setup became quite stable and tire friendly. I'm sure that I would have been a bit faster using someone else's setup, but there wasn't a good alternative, so I had to make my own.

So basically the answer is: only if I have to
I'll usually check out the WR sets, and then maybe tweak them a little so they're a bit more stable for me. If it's a wheel set, then I'll probably modify it to be geared more towards using the mouse. I'm far from having a good intuitive understanding of knowing what will happen if I change this or that, but it's fun stuff to muck around with anyway, gives LFS a nice DIY depth which I appreciate.
#34 - Davo
I randomly move the sliders around to whatever I feel like and just keep driving it

I usually use the inferno sets and adapt my driving style by watching the spr file 100 times and actually imitating the driving, like I'll pretend I'm driving and use the wheel and pedals the same way the WR driver is doing em, trying to memorise the movements etc for the track. Then I use their set and it feels really good and I can usually get a pretty good time in the first 10 laps, then the tyres let go :P

IMO its much more about how you drive and how much you drive on the one set. I used to change sets on the hour in the demo because I would ask for sets off people. I was always cursing about locking the brakes and understeering or oversteering. Then I made my own and just kept driving with it and got pretty fast with it even though it's supposedly a really bad set, basically every suspension set as stiff as possible and tyres very deflated and huge camber. It was a fun set for the XFG and I'm not sure how it actually let me get good times being such a ridiculous set.
Depends really, mostly do my own, sometimes will use others and modify them to suit my driving style.

Setups should be modified to your style, rather than modify your style to suit a setup.

TBH, setups only really make a small difference to laptimes, they can't make you fast if you aren't

Dan,
#36 - axus
I usually use a stable set as a base (I'm shit at making base sets) - I try a different one until it feels good. I spend a lot of time with the diff, dampers, camber, pressures and toe to get the balance I want. Most of my sets usually end up quite different from the base set.

Danowat, I strongly disagree with the statement about setups making a small difference. If a setup is tuned to your driving style rather than someone else's, I find it can make the difference of 1s a lap on average over a race period.
I`m one of those people that use other people setups. But most of time I find those setup wrong for my driving style / don`t get fast at all, so I customize them to suit my driving style =)
I make my own, using the Race_S set as a base. Mostly all I need to do is customise suspension and tyres, and after a lot of laps I sometimes find I have to alter the gear ratios as well.

Very occasionally I'll ask someone for a set if my own is suffering and I can't figure out what the problem is. Then I drive the new one, compare the two and then modify mine.

I have tried a couple of the Inferno sets, but couldn't drive them worth a damn
I use my own sets for leagues. But if I try a new combo on a public server I usually take a set from the inferno hp and then I customize it (sometimes to a degree where it has nothing left in common with the original).
i would usually drive someone elses setup. i think of it as, well if he can go quick with it theres no reason why i can't. but sometimes i do change them a little bit.
takes too long ot make a good set yourself and i dont have the time generally.
setup field is my saviour!
I've never created a set from scratch (=or default set), but of course I adjust every set suitable for my driving style, the track, and type of race.
#42 - Nard
I've always based my sets on something that was given to me (usually my sets are named like "coolguy's AS3 mod". But I never beg. Best way to earn a set is to race against good people, try your best, and just not being able to catch them, and some racers are generous enough to notice you're not a dumbass and share their sets. =D
Every once in a while I'll ask, or go to Inferno, or somebody will offer...

When I get a set that feels right I use it everywhere and make adjustments for the track. When I say feels right, I mean slightly oversteering from neutral, good on the curbs, and recoverable. The latter being my highest priority. I have to have a car that can come back from my mistakes fairly easily. In the end I do adjust cambers, spring rates, ride heights, dampers, gearing and wings quite a lot. Gearing and wings will go a long way for a car that feels good. If I find I'm struggling for time I will start the search anew, trying to find the next best set.

Overall though it's about comfort, anticipation, and the ability to go 80 laps from start to finish.
If it's a car I'm familiar with, I'll tweak sets that I've already been given. If I see someone doing amazing times, I'll normally ask to try it, but I tend to go back to my own as most of the fast sets are horrible to drive.

For example, I only use around 5 or 6 different FOX sets, and if I REALLY need another one I'll tweak one of the others.

If it's a car I don't know, I'll ask for a set of someone online who's doing quick, consistent laps. If I see someone I recognise online whose sets I normally like I'll ask them first.
#45 - JCTK
I usually uses Race S, perhaps make some small modification to the brakes so I won't lock them up too easily... and then play around with the downforce cos they can make a huge difference to your lap time...

but I do have a few other people's set up for a few cars, but most of the time I need to use Race S... and I certainly hate the idea of people asking me for set up when I'm only on Race S... lol
Quote from JCTK :I usually uses Race S, perhaps make some small modification to the brakes so I won't lock them up too easily...

Here's a bit of a twist on this comment. I have the squashball mod done on my Momo pedals. Actually it's a cut-in-half raquetball. I too do a little tweaking on the brake setting. I'm now well into around 2500 Nm on my brakes (FZR) and thinking about going higher. Is this really strange? Does anyone else use really really high braking force? If I could find an actual squashball rather than the raquetball, I'm thinking it would be even stiffer and I could put them up above 3000 Nm. With the squashball mod, the brake pedal feels more like a pressure sensative pedal and I only use 25% of the deflection. At 2500 Nm, I'm finding it difficult to lock the brakes as it is quite difficult to push the pedal and get much movement. Feels fantastic, for $2.00.
#47 - JCTK
Quote from mrodgers :Here's a bit of a twist on this comment. I have the squashball mod done on my Momo pedals. Actually it's a cut-in-half raquetball. I too do a little tweaking on the brake setting. I'm now well into around 2500 Nm on my brakes (FZR) and thinking about going higher. Is this really strange? Does anyone else use really really high braking force? If I could find an actual squashball rather than the raquetball, I'm thinking it would be even stiffer and I could put them up above 3000 Nm. With the squashball mod, the brake pedal feels more like a pressure sensative pedal and I only use 25% of the deflection. At 2500 Nm, I'm finding it difficult to lock the brakes as it is quite difficult to push the pedal and get much movement. Feels fantastic, for $2.00.

the only problem is, I don't have pedals so I'm using buttons for the brakes~ that's why I need to decrease my braking pressure so I don't lock them up~
@mrodgers

I have the squashball mod and I have to admit that first month was quite painful, the brake was way too stiff and it was hard to apply the right amount of force onto the pedal. However, now it has felt very good for over a year, as the ball has lost the stiffness. I feel like "how the hell did i manage to drive without it" now

Edit: And yeah, I use about 75% of the travel, and the feel is like in real car if more than 50% braking force is needed.
#49 - CSU1
Lmao!! I can see it now! so who is going to start the thread "What Do You squash in behind your pedals>?" lolillepall

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG