The online racing simulator

Poll : Obscurity, or lack of interest?

I've never heard of such a thing!
I have no interest in it!
I would really love to do some rally racing, but not on the half dirt, half tarmac tracks we have now. There have been a lot of requests in the suggestions forum for a more WRC-like car and a very long, very curvy rally stage, dirt road type of track. Even if we never get the car, we really need the track to do stuff like this. If the autocross layouts worked on it we could even make custom start and finish lines so that no two races would be exactly the same. Just imagine a 12 mile course that goes up a mountain and down the back side where you can place the start and finish lines anywhere you like and run in either direction. The possibilities would be endless!

A similar paved version would be nice too. You could do downhill togue, hillclimb events, drifting, one on one battles, etc.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Just imagine a 12 mile course that goes up a mountain and down the back side where you can place the start and finish lines anywhere you like and run in either direction. The possibilities would be endless!

A similar paved version would be nice too. You could do downhill togue, hillclimb events, drifting, one on one battles, etc.

Great idea! Then LFS could "ship" with a couple of layouts. The 12 miles of course could have numerous branches / forks and then in the autocross editor you could place barries where you want and make a great many layouts. Seems quite doable!

The only thing with this event (which I have not heard of until now) is that it seems based too much on the flow of the track (have not seen, just what I picked up from this thread... Perhaps wrong...) Part of the intrigue of staging is that you need to learn the stage, so I might be more interested if the layouts went over curbs all the time and weird places and so forth.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The only thing with this event (which I have not heard of until now) is that it seems based too much on the flow of the track (have not seen, just what I picked up from this thread... Perhaps wrong...) Part of the intrigue of staging is that you need to learn the stage, so I might be more interested if the layouts went over curbs all the time and weird places and so forth.

As Rubenz touched on, I've tried not to use layouts due to the fact that I'd have a lot of DNFs.

If you want to think of it less as a stage rally, and more of a 'One Lap of Live for Speed'.. that's fine by me.
Heh, no that's not my point. If people were not familiar with the layouts, perhaps there would be more of a draw because most(?) people like challenges... If you're afraid of DNFs, that means you have to be careful - and read ahead. Nothing can be THAT surprizing since it says in the rules on the site that there is a run done by a non-competitor that everyone spectates. All I'm saying is that the unique pull of something like this may be better accomplished by making it slightly more radical. Others may disagree
I think the best way would be to make an area with 100 km of connected roads (LFS can handle 65*65 km area), so that there were a lot of combos. That would be enough for a rally of a national championship scale (150-200 km of specials).

According to my estimations, 1 km of track takes 2-2.5 MB disk space and 6-8 MB of RAM. Whatever config you load (AS1, AS2, etc), LFS keeps all the area (all the Aston, Blackwood and so on) in the RAM, and some memory is used for textures. So, 100 km will work OK on systems with 1GB RAM.
Quote from lococost :Guys, Xeno is not talking about rallycross, which is going round a track together with other people for more laps, but rally as in you do track by track, 1 driver at a time, 1 lap per track. Sort of like normal stages in WRC but much more simplified. Some stages are on tarmac, some on rx tracks.

Thx for making that clear once again

Rallystages could be a fun event, but it needs much organisation cause LFS dont support it atm.

Rallycross is still working best when you drive it like we did in RXC imo, if the organisation around the system is good, it can work smooth and can be more fun than driving a single race 50 laps all cars on grid

The system: http://www.freewebs.com/rallyx/rules.htm#62935556
What I'd really love to see is the ability to let end-users (us) build and use custom tracks. The only problem I could see with that is copywrite/trademark issues as people build tracks that need licencing.
Well i was thinking...
With the current rules if we use custom layouts, the ones that starts last can spectate more time and have an advantage so...
Why dont start from the pit lane end 30 sec after each other; like after 1 min after the race start so we can also have false start (after replay analysys) so everyone can spectate only the organizer lap.
Like first start at 1.00 second at 1.30 third at 2.00...
With that one can learn the difficult passage of the track but cant learn perfectly all the track. A substitute for codriver?
Also starting from the pit lane end we dont have starting guys disturbing finishing guys and viceversa.
Hope that my English wasnt that bad!
I love WRC
Would be nice if we could do the RBR stuff here. Seems like the majority like the superfast F! out of the box cars since the BMW got here though. I like it all but have had some real good fun in the slow little pizza car on the rallycross track. A real WRC type car and track would be sweet though. Kinda like speed tv these days...no WRC around where did it go?
Quote from Rubenz81 :Well i was thinking...
With the current rules if we use custom layouts, the ones that starts last can spectate more time and have an advantage so...
Why dont start from the pit lane end 30 sec after each other; like after 1 min after the race start so we can also have false start (after replay analysys) so everyone can spectate only the organizer lap.
Like first start at 1.00 second at 1.30 third at 2.00...
With that one can learn the difficult passage of the track but cant learn perfectly all the track. A substitute for codriver?
Also starting from the pit lane end we dont have starting guys disturbing finishing guys and viceversa.
Hope that my English wasnt that bad!

i had a similar thinking to you about the staggered starts after the first event that happened and it would work but would need more effort from the admin to calculate the results. Also even if your on track in your car waiting for the start there is nothing to stop you watching other ppeoples laps so the advantage for the latter starters would still be there.
i just like rallycross much more and i am not a hotlapper.
Andy: youre right but still later starter will manage to spectate not too much (with 30 sec interval or even less, you dont have too much time expecially if you have to exit from box and go to the pit lane end) and with the risk to be late for start.
Of course it's not perfect but it's an improvement for me!
It will be not difficult for Xenowolf to calculate times as you have only to sum delayed start times to overall.
Sorry for my bad English!
For those interested in seeing what stage rallying is like, the SimRS server is currently set at our SO5 (South City Town Course) rally stage! Just log in, join the server and run a lap to see how it all works.

Server name: [SimRS] Club Rally

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG