The online racing simulator
Dirty Cars (pics)
(38 posts, started )
Dirty Cars (pics)
I did a 50 lap race the other day and really wish we would have dirt, brake dust etc on the cars, so i spent a couple of hours and i came out with these 2.

the dark 'mess' is not dirt, its brake dust, maybe its abit ' too much' for a shorter race, lookin at some of the Lemans pics maybe the car would never get quite as dirty.

but anyway, i cant be bothered changing them right now.
Attached images
xfrdirt.jpg
rcdirt.jpg
rcdirt2.jpg
i like how it looks
Yeah it would be nice to have the cars get mucky especially when racing rallyx (I put dirt on my RB4 skin). Paint scrapes would be nice too, sods of grass stuck in wheel arches and so on.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Yeah it would be nice to have the cars get mucky especially when racing rallyx (I put dirt on my RB4 skin). Paint scrapes would be nice too, sods of grass stuck in wheel arches and so on.

there are 2 squished bugs on the sunstrip of the xfr.. lol

on another note, if anyone wants race dirt added to their skin, i dont mind doing it if they send their skin to me.
I think what you've done to the XFR looks really good, only a bit more needed front and along bottom side skirts maybe.
#6 - TiJay
I like the detail!

When I saw the thread title, I thought of this (I didn't create it):
Attached images
howcarsaremadelfs.jpg
Very cool and whilst not an unique request, it is acheived in a unique manner Any chance you'd consider releasing just the "dirt" on a layer? I'm sure some enterprising, albeit not artistically minded people, might be interested?
I like how the FXR looks, maybe make the dirt near the wheels a bit more gray and about 80% opaque.

Very cool.
looking around at them more clearly there is dirt were it shouldnt be and no dirt were it should lol..

im gunna start from scratch i think and redo them both.

here is a pic anyway
Attached images
xfrdirt2.JPG
Quote from TiJay :I like the detail!

When I saw the thread title, I thought of this (I didn't create it):

that XFR was full gas maybe it wanted to spash it

Quote from R3DMAN :looking around at them more clearly there is dirt were it shouldnt be and no dirt were it should lol..

im gunna start from scratch i think and redo them both.

here is a pic anyway

very good dirty skins, i like them
Very nice! Though done before, I could see this catch fire with online skins.
i made this one last week sometime, no previews im afraid so youll need cmx viewer. The only thing i dont like about it is the colour of the bonnet and the reflections of the paint, make the dirt on the bonnet reflective so i need to change that part
Attached images
XFG_DYNODIRT.jpg
I bet it looks even better when racing.
Great idea. I like the rock chips, and agree with Al in that you need more along the skirts and front bumper. The brake dust looks a bit much, but what I really like is that it appears you've made one of the headlights on the first pic look as if it has started to turn yellow. Cool.
#15 - Vain
I like the brake and tyre dust more subtle. Here's a screeny from last year's Road Sport Summer Cup.

Vain
Attached images
RSSC6.jpg
Wouldn't this be easy to do as a real-time feature? I mean there's the tyre tracks and all...
Quote from SlamDunk :Wouldn't this be easy to do as a real-time feature? I mean there's the tyre tracks and all...

real easy
look at RBR, it uses simple texture maps, thats all that this really is, is a specular/reflection map ontop of a visible dirt map which increases %'s over time/usage

i really dont think it would be hard at all to code, but this.. omg this would be nice too
RE: Dirt layers, Tweak made a kickass Fern Bay style dust/dirt skin for racing round there, i modified it a little after that to create a mud based version for Blackwood too, they really look spot on when theres a few cars racing round with muck all over them, it kinda makes the clean cars look stupid racing next to them.

As with quite a few things i really think this sort of partially-transparent layering needs to be added into LFS, some which as suggested would gradually become more and more visable as time goes by (ie general dirt related to the track, mud, dirt, oil and similar grime typically picked up) and some which should be fully visable and are applied over skins like driver number plates, which just like driver names on windows could allow people to add their car number meaning teams and race organisers dont require additional skins to be made to display a race number, you'd have your car skins and a selection of plate skins for the series your in (ie 1 for team, 4 for different race series) which a number would be overlayed onto in-game in the same manner messages are place onto the race cars.

I'd love to see the implementation of transparent pngs (or some other equally suitable format) at some point to give a time-based effect over the car and also with the number plate skins possibly reduce downloading time when joining servers, most team would just need 1 non-specific skin where the individual aspect would be covered by 1+ drivers numbers & nationality on a plate, its got to be easier downloading 1 car skin & 5x plates than 5x 99% identical car skins.
Attached images
Mercury_Rally.jpg
#19 - JJ72
release the dirt on a layer when you are done, really likes it.
#20 - JJ72
Quote from PaulC2K :RE: Dirt layers, Tweak made a kickass Fern Bay style dust/dirt skin for racing round there, i modified it a little after that to create a mud based version for Blackwood too, they really look spot on when theres a few cars racing round with muck all over them, it kinda makes the clean cars look stupid racing next to them.

amazing, what is your source photo for the splash and dirt effects? can you post them?
yep that clearly looks like the finest dirt layer I've seen in game. Nice work.
I remember this sorta thing being done in FS2004 with an addon by FFS, the Vans something or other.

FS2004 doesn't support "dirtying", so they made it so that the plane had a number of "skins", each dirtier that the other, then over time the plane somehow applied a new skin depending on how long you had been flying.

I reckon this could be possible in LFS using insim or outgauge or something.
#23 - JJ72
they just gotta start adding alpha layers to skins.
I think the problem with yours is its too much of a perfect shape, and you need to mix some brown in with the brake dust. I find that GTR has excellent dirt layers in some of the skin packs.

Heres my few dirty cars i have done, one of them (the fxo) was for a league and I could only find the half finished version so its a bit patchy.
Attached images
dirtyfox.jpg
dirtyfxo.jpg
dirtyrb4.jpg

Dirty Cars (pics)
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG