The online racing simulator
Whats the best program to use for LFS Skinning?
What is the best program for LFS Skinning? cos i have tried with Photoshop which is the program i use for designing websites and also doing skins for GTR2 but i just cant seem to get on with LFS Templates very well with Photoshop
#2 - Ian.H
I'd say whatever you're most comfortable with using. Personally I do all my skins with Illustrator as I much prefer working with proper vectors (Photoshop's vectors are pretty lame at best).

Are you using Bunta's templates posted at Master Skinnerz? They're definitely the best for using with Photoshop IMO.

I really only use Photoshop or Illustrator for any 2D graphics work so don't have much wider knowledge than that, but I would have thought you'd have no problems with the LFS templates.. IMO, they're a damn sight easier to use and paint than GTR2 (I gave up with skinning for GTR2.. was easier to model cars and tracks than paint those things! lol.. there's bits and pieces everywhere).

Many people also use Paint Shop Pro. I find it confusing, but been used to Photoshop since about version 6 but as I say, the best tool for the job (any job) is the one you're personally most comfortable with using

Regards,

Ian
#3 - Tomi
for free : Gimp

Photoshop is probably overkill if you are not a professionnal, Paint Shop Pro is great if you can't deal with Gimp's UI.
Like the others said, use what you're comfortable with. I'm most comfortable with Photoshop, so I use it.

As for painting in LFS vs GTR2? I find LFS the easiest game to make a paintjob for. I haven't played GTR2, let alone painted for it, but it seems to me the paints are packed into another file, similar to SCGT was. LFS is simply just a matter of plopping the file into the proper folder and picking it in the game. Not to mention it's mapped in a slightly easier way.
Ok thanks guys ill try some of the solutions you've suggested
#6 - TiJay
I use PhotoFiltre (free!) as well as Photoshop CS2.

PF is not as deep and doesn't support layers, but is good for adding detail once you're done in Photoshop.
I always run GIMP and Photoshop CS2 side by side, there are bits of both programs I couldn`t do without so I`m always swapping files between the two of them. I never open one program without the other.
I used to use photoshop CS2 but i dont skin anymore I found photoshop had all the tools i needed but ive never used any other program so i can't compare.
Well, maybe I`m pro then, but I use Photoshop CS2
I'm using the Gimp. It's free, and it has layers

now, as for actual skills in skinning, that's a whole different story ;P
PAINT
Not with paint ... but maybe with Paint .Net .
I use Fireworks for most skinning tasks. The vector tools are nice, basically giving you editable raster fills so you can see what the anti-aliasing is going to do to it.
True, I used Fireworks for a while and it is quite good for compositing.
#15 - DDM
i use Macromedia Flash .. its easy 2 use .. layers, vctors very easy gradients , alphas , and with the new Flash 8 theres lots of great default effects that you can make of a press of a button... i'll post some pix of my skins later if i have any time
I use photoshop CS, I started off using 7 to paint sketches I'v drawn and found PS to be quite useful for skinning as well. I even did my custom interior with it.
one trick for profesionals. I make the vectorials with rhinoceros (3.0 better)
This 3d Program can save the files in .ai (illustrator). Then paint the pieces.

WWW.TS-020.CO.NR here my skins
I run Photoshop CS2 and Paint.Net side by side.

Paint.Net is free and VERY easy to use. It also provides very good detail too. I usually do the skin is photoshop, then detail it in Paint.Net.

Frenchy
Quote from Ian.H :
Many people also use Paint Shop Pro. I find it confusing, but been used to Photoshop since about version 6 but as I say, the best tool for the job (any job) is the one you're personally most comfortable with using

Haha, Im the opposite. Been using various versions of Paint Shop Pro since my youth, but I cant figure out Photoshop to save my life.

Being a few years since I actively used PSP, I taught myself layers last weekend so I could properly use the Master Skinnerz templates. Lets just say making skins has never been easier, and they end up looking great.
Hi,
I'm using two program's COREL DRAW X3 for drawing and PHOTOSHOP CS2 full version, combine them and skin's will be fine .
Visit JovadzicSkinz . Bye.
Phtoshop CS2 here done a little bit of chopping cars before I found LFS.

If anyone wants tutorials on how to use photoshop try this site

http://www.photoshopedup.com

Helped me loads on how to do skins
I have photoshop elements 4.0. how many of you use it? does it work well for you?
I also use appleworks for making lines. I can't find a line tool in photoshop(noob)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG