The online racing simulator
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl
(56 posts, started )
Little diferent game then Live for Speed ... Someone have it? How about your feelings of it? For me actually best game (after LFS, off course ) ever. Simply for the perfect atmosphere, and other milion good things
I intend to try it eventually, just to see what the AI is like and if they are as good as the hype.

Need a new computer first, but I'm not in any big rush to play it. I'm entirely bored of FPS games.
I dont like games where some freaky retarded mutants are and you have to kill them.

Like you walk slowly, your room is dark and in-game room is dark, suddenly a freaking monster jumps in front of you. That is not my suiting, but offcourse everyone has their own liking, thats just my opinion.

Also, Itar (CZ) , what graphics settings you can turn on and run game good? I have almost same system as yours, but processor is Celeron 2,6 GHz.
I'm due a free copy of the game shortly, since I won a competition a couple of months back.

I was in the multiplayer beta and have to say the environments themselves are amazing. Some of the weather effects and anomalies are awesome to see.

Sadly, the multiplayer modes were a little disappointing. DM and TDM aren't really my thing, and Artifact Hunt is very difficult if you've not learned where all the spawn points are.

I'm waiting to see if the single-player can do the environments justice.
I like this game and most of the mercury team plays it, but it really sucks when there is more then 2 people online because the fps/lag drops like a mofo when trying to kill each other.

Single player is nice and the weapons are goodish i think but the pistol sucks really bad because 8 shots kills one guy and the changing weather is awesome.
I had no graphic lag multiplayer during the beta, but one guy on a server I joined was complaining that the weather and night effects were causing him problems.

My biggest complaint about the multiplayer (other than the unoriginal modes) is that votes are (or were) all public. I don't like the idea of everyone being able to see who's voting to kick/ban who. Or in my case, who doesn't want to switch to night time because they're still trying to learn the map
I was waiting a life time for this. I only found out it came on the market recently, so going to buy it, the second I get some cash. D:
Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :I dont like games where some freaky retarded mutants are and you have to kill them.

Like you walk slowly, your room is dark and in-game room is dark, suddenly a freaking monster jumps in front of you. That is not my suiting, but offcourse everyone has their own liking, thats just my opinion.

Also, Itar (CZ) , what graphics settings you can turn on and run game good? I have almost same system as yours, but processor is Celeron 2,6 GHz.

And exactly this you do in game. Most of this scary moments are under ground...

I play on medium details, resolution 1024x768 and with static lightning. 60-70 FPS
#9 - TiJay
Been waiting for this for ages.

Does it live up to they hype or is it another good-looking but generic shooter like Doom 3?
It's been getting reviews of the "good, but not as good as we were expecting" variety. 8/10 at CVG/PC Zone, which is where I normally go for gaming reviews. I think it got something in the 80%s from IGN as well.
IGN gave it an 8.2 (just read the review :P)

Tijay: its the other way round, doesn't look all that great but some of the game play ideas seem really cool. Anyone know of a demo? :X
oooooh, I was thinking of making this thread a while ago. I pre-ordered S.T.A.L.K.E.R few weeks ago and finally received the collectors edition on friday... man its a great game. Yes it has a few bugs and few issues in it especially after 5 years of development but its a really enjoyable game to play.

The atmosphere is really nice in the game with spooky sound effects and annomalies throughout the area and when the weather changes to stormy wow its even better with the flashes of lighting all over the place.

I just wish i had a pc powerfull enough to play it with maximum effects

The AI in the game is very clever, humans anyway, soldiers tend to hide when you open fire at them but they also change their position, ususally you would just sit in one place and camp untill the ai comes out again to have another pop at you but in stalker they actually move about so much that you cant sometimes find them and then they headshoot you from the back somewhere.... quite impressed with it however i find the ai of the monsters really weird, sometimes they are very good but there are occasions where they just stand still whilst you approaching them filling a whole magazine into them... it has a few little bugs like this... but over all its a enjoyable game with a great atmosphere.
Anybody played STALKER and F.E.A.R. ?

If so, how do they compare?
Madman: what pc are you using to run it on? Wondering if mine will keep up ;X
STALKER and FEAR do not compare. FEAR is a one trick pony in the atmosphere front and a linear shooter behind it (a damn fine trick and good shooter but still). STALKER is more akin to System Shock/Oblivion/Deus Ex. From what I've seen so far it is very well detailed and realised environment that has an interesting 'mood'. The 'feel' of the game is similar to that of FEAR and quite different to that of the iD based shooters which helps slow the pace of the game and make it more tense. How the overall story shapes up I'll just have to wait, not played it through yet and from what I can see there is plenty to keep me amused.
Quote from fragile_dog :Madman: what pc are you using to run it on? Wondering if mine will keep up ;X

i am running stalker on:

athlon xp 2600+ 2.06Ghz
asus a7n8x motherboard
Ati Radeon 9800pro
1 gig of ram

I am playing the game at 1400x1050 with 4x anti aliasing and 4x anisotropic filtering.

I have Stalker on medium settings, its runs quite well but sometimes it does have hicups like when you enter the map view it takes a while to load up, sometimes there is stutter as texture load into memory but its not too bad... i am reluctant to reduce the resolution but it plays even beter at 1280x960
Quote from yegadoyai :STALKER and FEAR do not compare. FEAR is a one trick pony in the atmosphere front and a linear shooter behind it (a damn fine trick and good shooter but still). STALKER is more akin to System Shock/Oblivion/Deus Ex. From what I've seen so far it is very well detailed and realised environment that has an interesting 'mood'. The 'feel' of the game is similar to that of FEAR and quite different to that of the iD based shooters which helps slow the pace of the game and make it more tense. How the overall story shapes up I'll just have to wait, not played it through yet and from what I can see there is plenty to keep me amused.

:iagree:
Finished the game yesterday.

Liked very much. Especially the fact that you can't hog every gun and thing you find. You have to think a little what you need :up:

Minor spoiler folllows:
The ending felt very weird and the story line incomplete like only watching the first 30 minutes of a movie.
Read the walkthrough, and there apparently is several endings in the game. Just so you know if you choose the same route I did, and feel the story left incomplete. Prolly that's partly because I inadvertently skipped bunch of the missions and didn't have all the better armor you might have gotten. (The Brain Scorcher and following missions were a bitch with only the suit I got from the dead Ghost guy and the non-bulletproof anti-radiation/etc suit. )

I was fearing that I couldn't play this at all with my crappy PC (XP1800+/384MB/GF4TI4400), but everything off and on minimum. FPS was mostly playable...
ok, I didnt wait for it, but I got it and played it, I like that it's FPS - RPG mix, and it realy dictates you the temp and the style of your gameplay, that's nice.
Graphics are nice but not perfect.
The thing i believe it lacks is atmospehre. Let me explain - I (yes I have been living in a stone age) Have played F.E.A.R. and HL2 + HL2 Episode 1 recently for the first time
in F.E.A.R. I felt the suspense, the horror of walking through a dark corridor, I realy thought that was happening in reality (I love the sence of emerging(English?) in the game), same goes for Half Life 2 (and a bit less for episode 1) - when I reached the base after a 1.5 hour being chased by combine I felt like a dog that ran away from a dogcatcher - helpless, but safe for some time, when I saw Ravenholm, and understood what happened there - i had the chills.

after those games ( I have been told that if I played F.E.A.R., HL2, and Chronicles of Riddick EFBB, I have played the best games in past 4 - 5 years) I wasnt that much impressed, but it's a good game nonethe less.

Krane: the game has 7 different endings, and the developers said that only 2 of them fully reveal everything you need to know, others are "fake"
So what I gather is that the game is a bit like Fallout, not an rpg but the world has some similarities? People seem to like it though so might actually buy it. How long does the game last?
My opinion: 8.8/10

It's a very nice game, best FPS ever made in post-soviet countries (Stalker came from Ukraine, made by GSC Game World)

Squid, heh, the atmosphere is present there

Also I run it at full sets, I only have FPS drops to 18-22 at the bar location, it keeps at 30-40 rest of the time. I don't know if the Eng. version is any good, maybe that's what makes it less atmospherical?
Quote from Funnycat :It's a very nice game, best FPS ever made in post-soviet countries (Stalker came from Ukraine, made by GSC Game World)

Hahahahahahaha.

No.

Get Operation Flashpoint or die tryin'.
Quote from Funnycat :
I don't know if the Eng. version is any good, maybe that's what makes it less atmospherical?

could be... I prefer games in original language (russian translations regulary make no sense) that's why I got the English version... and then remembered that the game is made in Ukraine (IIRC) and original version is in Russian.
English version has all the actors who are important to the main character speaking English with Russian accent, voiced by a Italian pizza chef...
didnt like that. others speak russian, so it really gives you a strange feeling - one second youre listening to your task in english, then you sit by the fire and listen to lousy anecdotes in Russian...

Hyperactive - Nonononoooo... nothing like fallout... It's more like...ehm....nothing on my mind comes close to STALKER. RPG system is different, and the world...let's just say Fallout is much better in my opinion in that matter
(Anyone knows when (IF) Fallout 3 is going to be released?)
Stalker is great best game overall in 2007,I haven't played SP yet but MP is awesome.

looking forward to clan wars on it

Quote from squidhead :
(Anyone knows when (IF) Fallout 3 is going to be released?)

It's in works.
So Release date(s) : TBA
Quote from squidhead :(Anyone knows when (IF) Fallout 3 is going to be released?)

I remember reading from somewhere that it will be a game console only

Not so sure about it but I would really hate to see Fallout 3 being just another 3d hack&slash rpg with kool graphics and nice and fluffy world

(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG