The online racing simulator
clutch button
(27 posts, started )
clutch button
Hi everyone.
My question is this, does everyone mostly use auto clutch or manual? I would be interested in getting a wheel with a clutch pedal but can't seem to find one. Any ideas?
Thanks Toddshooter
never heard of a g25? under which rock did you live the last year?
Do whatever works for you... personally, I tried using a button for clutch when my pedal snapped and I hated it.

Pick up a Logitech G25 Wheel, Shifter and Pedals set if you've got cash to spare.
Sorry don't have $250.00 for a steering wheel! I guess I'll just use auto clutch.
#6 - Mykl
Even if I had a G25 I'd probably still use the autoclutch with paddles. If I want to row through a shifter I'll go drive my real car.
Quote from mikey_G :never heard of a g25? under which rock did you live the last year?

At $300 for a "PC game controller", just because the G25 has been out, doesn't mean that everyone is now rich and has one. You're comment has nothing to do with what he asks, which is whether people use a manual clutch or auto clutch.

If I had a G25, I'd surely use a clutch and the shifter. But I have a Momo and I don't like the feel of a second set of pedals (my very old Thrustmaster) being used as a clutch, so I use auto clutch. I never use a button as a clutch. That just feels less arcade than using autoclutch to me.
I'd also love a G25, but can't justify the price. If I could, I'd use clutch and shifter for sure. I'd love to get a 3 pedal setup for my wheel, but I've been having trouble finding any.
do ye guys think that there will a price drop with the G25 soon,in Ireland there is not even a price drop with the DFP still costing 140 euros,which isnt to bad in my opinion
Quote from mrodgers :At $300 for a "PC game controller", just because the G25 has been out, doesn't mean that everyone is now rich and has one. You're comment has nothing to do with what he asks, which is whether people use a manual clutch or auto clutch.

What a BS reply...

He says he can't find any controllers with a clutch, and asks for ideas, so I gave him one. And seeing that the g25 is pretty popular everywhere, i think i'm allowed to make a little joke....

btw, for the topic starter, the g25 isnt the only way to go. Buy a second set of wheels or pedals on ebay or something and hook them up so you have 4 axis ( you can even make a handbrake if you want).
Use autoclutch. Except if you drive the road cars, it's more realistic anyway.
#12 - Jakg
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :do ye guys think that there will a price drop with the G25 soon,in Ireland there is not even a price drop with the DFP still costing 140 euros,which isnt to bad in my opinion

it will probably drop to about £110-£120 in a while (a long while), but thats not a massive drop.

I love(d) mine, just the feel of the FFB and Pedals was worth £150 alone.

2nd one in teh post!
Quote from mikey_G :What a BS reply...

He says he can't find any controllers with a clutch, and asks for ideas, so I gave him one. And seeing that the g25 is pretty popular everywhere, i think i'm allowed to make a little joke....

My bad, I didn't notice the "can't seem to find one" part of the thread. I blame it on being at work and reading the forum too quickly.

(Which I'm eating lunch now, so I had a chance to see it)
#14 - Mykl
Quote from duke_toaster :Use autoclutch. Except if you drive the road cars, it's more realistic anyway.

There are enough road cars that come with paddle shifters and "auto clutches" these days that this feature is plenty realistic anyway. Audi/VW has nearly perfected it, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, and many other companies all have versions of it... so it's certainly not unrealistic since it's available to the average consumer right now.
Quote from Jakg :it will probably drop to about £110-£120 in a while (a long while), but thats not a massive drop.

I love(d) mine, just the feel of the FFB and Pedals was worth £150 alone.

2nd one in teh post!

From all the stuff i've heard about the G25 they all seem to be possitive,its a must have in sim racing, might just save up and buy,its worth its money i believe !
noob?
will any logitech wheel work for LFS... of course as long as its compatible to a PC
Clutch
Hi,
does no one have a "Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Pro - Clutch Edition"? It's way cheaper than a G25 and the hardware-test magazines say it's a great wheel. does anyone have LFS experiences or can compare it with DFP or MOMO?
Well I've got the G25 but I find I haven't used the standard clutch much (or the 900 degree steering for that matter).. They may be more 'realistic' but if you want to compete with online racers its much easier to autoclutch it since that's what most people do. I still have a blast with the H-shifter though.

The main thing that I really hate about using standard clutch with the G25 is that I can't use the clutch pedal as the brake - and the brake pedal is so stiff that my chair rolls back before I can floor it all the way.. If I try to hit the brake all the way and clutch at the same time, the base shifts too.
Quote from Dajmin :I'd also love a G25, but can't justify the price. If I could, I'd use clutch and shifter for sure. I'd love to get a 3 pedal setup for my wheel, but I've been having trouble finding any.

http://www.act-labs.com/products/race1.htm

3 pedal setups, and gated shifters.. purchasable seperately..

I've personally had thier (now older) Performance pedals, and outside of springs breaking from normal use, they are awesome.. The best thing is for a few bucks, once a year I order a bag of spare springs and keep on trucking..

Thier newer pedals also have replacement/upgrade parts available..

I run a momo black, with the performance pedals, and the old act-labs gpl shifter.. a wonderful combo imho, and a hella lot cheaper then a G25.. The only thing I dont have is 900 degree rotation.. which, squirt squirt, aint affecting me none...

~Dark
#20 - Jakg
i used to use a Momo with ACT Labs pedals and the G25 blew it out of the warer
Quote from Jakg :i used to use a Momo with ACT Labs pedals and the G25 blew it out of the warer

Im sure it does, but like many people in the real world, my income < my bills + desires.. therefore, the momo + act-labs pedals come in far more reasonably affordably..

I got my momo new )6 years ago( for $70, and a set of refurbished pedals from act-labs for another $65, in the meantime, ive spent a grand total of $22 on replacement springs, for a setup that feels as good now, as it did when it was new. I would say its been a well spent $157.. 6 years, and around half the cost of a g25..

~Dark
#22 - Jakg
i had the Pedals EAT springs and just thought "sod it, i cba to get new springs every few weeks because sooner or later it'll break before a league race" and spent the "extra £50" (because i thought i could sell my stuff, bah, how wrong i was!) for a G25
Quote from Mykl :There are enough road cars that come with paddle shifters and "auto clutches" these days that this feature is plenty realistic anyway. Audi/VW has nearly perfected it, BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, and many other companies all have versions of it... so it's certainly not unrealistic since it's available to the average consumer right now.

Citroen have done a C2 with it as well, the Proton Savvy also has it - NSU also did it in the 60's. Rumour has it that Corvettes with DSGs and paddles will be available.
Quote from Jakg :i had the Pedals EAT springs and just thought "sod it, i cba to get new springs every few weeks because sooner or later it'll break before a league race" and spent the "extra £50" (because i thought i could sell my stuff, bah, how wrong i was!) for a G25

Were you using the original small springs with 2 per pedal, or the later redesigned thick spring with 1 per pedal? When i first got mine it was thin-twin springs, and i notched the pedals and upgraded first time those broke to the redesigned thick spring, and haven't "ate" abnormally since..
Only have to change them once, maybe twice a year, depending on my racing activities.. I've always kept at least 1 spare set of 3 sitting around as well, so I've never had issue with that.. The only time it kind of pressed me, was loosing my clutch in practice for a league race, all I did was pop them apart tho, and slide a new spring in, loosing 5 minutes of warm-up time, no biggie..

~Dark
#25 - Jakg
2 on the brake, 1 on the throttle - i still have the pedals (in bits, though, due to the springs breaking *again*) which you can buy if you want (although lord knows why you'd want them unless you want to use the pots for something - Handbrake perhaps?

clutch button
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG