The online racing simulator

Poll : Would you be pleased if LFS remained with fantasy material?

Yes
No
I guess if you draw a parallel with other sims- for example flight sims, nobody's really creating that much fictional stuff- it's all based on real planes. I don't think too many people would want to fly a fictional plane when they can fly replicas of real ones instead. So, I guess it's a bit ironic that LFS, a car sim which arguably has the best (most realistic) car physics of any game, does what it does with mostly fictional cars, and 100% fictional tracks. I'm not sure how unique that makes LFS in the world of sims in general, but I'm guessing its a fairly different approach to most 'sims' out there.

I still think LFS has got it right. While most games are probably comfortable with the fact that they have this or that car, (I read 300 in the new Forza game), the creators of LFS have obviously decided to focus more on creating a realistic physics and driving model first. This puts LFS in a very strange place- it's realistic, but it's not based on reality. It's kindof bizarre. But I like it.
I would love to see real content, but I won't be broken hearted if we don't get it. However, I would like to see as much new content as possible. Whether it's a Lamborghini on Spa or a "generic mid-engine supercar" on a "generic European race track" doesn't matter so much.
I don't mind if we have the fictional cars forever. They could even add more fictional cars, and I wouldn't mind.

But I really expect to see the possibility of adding real TRACKS on LFS. If the community was able to develop existing tracks it would be awesome, and would add a lot to league racing...

I mean... In LFSBR we are in our 3rd season (1st championship was in march 2005). We used nearly ALL tracks and ALL variations possible for the combos we race. Having 20 or more tracks would be really sweet. (But of course, if we had 2-3 new tracks in a patch I wouldn't be bothered at all!)
Quote from Falkowski83 :I don't mind if we have the fictional cars forever. They could even add more fictional cars, and I wouldn't mind.

I'd generally just like to see more, and choosing a real car over a fictional car or vice versa is a case by case thing.

Quote :But I really expect to see the possibility of adding real TRACKS on LFS. If the community was able to develop existing tracks it would be awesome, and would add a lot to league racing...

It would, but not all would be appropriate for all cars. Thruxton would be waay sub 1 minute in the BF1 for example. The R/L record is 1:01 or so with a F3 car (IIRC).

Quote :I mean... In LFSBR we are in our 3rd season (1st championship was in march 2005). We used nearly ALL tracks and ALL variations possible for the combos we race. Having 20 or more tracks would be really sweet. (But of course, if we had 2-3 new tracks in a patch I wouldn't be bothered at all!)

There are 48 tracks (excluding car parks and drag strips) in LFS already, but an environment or two more would be great.
I miss understood the thread....

SORRY!
Quote :It would, but not all would be appropriate for all cars. Thruxton would be waay sub 1 minute in the BF1 for example. The R/L record is 1:01 or so with a F3 car (IIRC).

Well, not all tracks are appropriate for all cars right now. Fern bay really doesn't fit GTRs, the curbs are way too high for them. Not to mention the Formulas. That excludes a lot of possibilities for leagues.

Also, we have '48 options', but those are not really really options. Mainly because all the variations use similar sectors, wich gives us the impression that we are always in the 'same' track configuration. That takes off some of the fun and also the challenge.

I just would like to know if Eric is working on another tracks. After all, we don't have new tracks since S2 alpha was released, back in 2005 (I know, we had the new Aston configs, that are really nice, but it is impossible to have 3-4 Astons in one season without the racers complaining).

I'm really expecting to be surprised by Eric with a couple more tracks very soon. It doesn't matter if the tracks only have 2 configs (normal/reversed).
Its a funny question really, a little ambiguous. Suffice to say that I would still play LFS if it continued the way it is, however I would pay another £12 just to have a handful of real tracks, no need for real cars. (& +£12 for dx9 graphics)

Devs would have to get a license too & that means shelling out some serious cash. The only way around it is maybe to release a track editor & let the community loose creating tracks to race on, then we could create similar tracks to real life ones & give them quirky names like Kroft & Bonnington .

I think LFS should have the ring if any real life track. I believe there is already a group of people trying to make this happen. I would gladly fork out extra for this & sure many others would to.
well the thing is, real life race cars famillilaretyes with road cars usally ends at the looks, more of a race car with a body to resembelence the road car counter parts rather than a road car tuned for racing.

So why pay extra for provideding commercial adds to the road car manufactures, by developers buying the right to putt real names on the cars.

ps. loaded with spelling errors, but Im also going to bed now
Quote from anttt69 :Its a funny question really, a little ambiguous. Suffice to say that I would still play LFS if it continued the way it is, however I would pay another £12 just to have a handful of real tracks, no need for real cars.

I would pay for more cars OR more tracks, real OR fictional. If the devs ever decided to release track packs or car packs, I would gladly pay (assuming, of course, that the cars were different enough from what we've got now).
I'd also be satisfied with fantasy cars - if they'd get a way more beautiful look!

In my opinion many of the cars are not really nice to look at, especially the RB4 or the XR. They somehow look old and unfashioned, ugly. Some other cars like the FZ50 rather seem like a programmed blend of different cars than designed cars - mixes of Porsche shapes with Ferrari lights.

A lot of a car's fascination comes from its outlook - take the recent Aston Martins: In my eyes the perfect looking women would be a DB9 as a car - fascinating, sexy shapes and curves meet aggressive styling elements (Headlights) as well as "cool" ones, like the AM's "boomerang" backlights for example.
Or take a brand like Lamborghini with its compilation of basic shapes that are put together to masterpieces of car design.

I mean there are LFS cars that don't need to have a changed look, like the UF1000 - it's cute like a mini and it's got carisma: It CAN look old. But then take the XR: It's got the look of a mid-80s RX-7. Or the FXO as a mid 90s Civic. And so on ...

Being an amateur car designer myself, I'd really like to suggest some new designs or improve the ones already being in LFS. And all the other designers out there should also have the opportunity to show their creativity. Having designed a nice car for LFS would maybe also attract some real car manufacturers, wouldn't it?

I want to see FANTASYcars!
I want to see NICE cars!
I want to see cars that COULD be on our roads TODAY!
I want it all!

Opinions?

Cheers
it really doesnt matter if LFS had real content or not the cars are already like some from the real world as it is, and one car actually is (BF1). i think everyone here would still continue racing either way. one thing i do think would be pretty cool to see in S3 would be a truck cab obviously for truck racing but thats a whole different forum segment!
I wouldn't be disappointed but I would love to see real cars and circuits in LFS someday.
Couldnt have said it better Quint999.

If LFS would have the same amount of real cars and real tracks as rFactor has, it would blow alot of Sims away in terms of popularity including rFactor.
Quote from StackTrack :why deprive me of the right to virtually drive it using the best physics engine in sims? Why deprive yourself?

Erm...the right?
That's quite overdoing it if you ask me. It's not part of any consitution or anything.

As for the rest of your post, well I know you're new but they have all been discussed and the conclusion is that it's not that simple. Using real life tracks or cars involve licenses. An they don't come cheap.
As far as modding, it has his downsides and if LFS will ever be moddable it will not be before S3 as the sim is still in development.
Quote from joen :Using real life tracks or cars involve licenses. An they don't come cheap.

But the fact is, when you achieve certain level, you don't have to pay, because THEY will pay you for being the part of high level/selling/prestige product.

I don't know how far of this level LFS is, but when it become real with higher money included, I believe that LFS world will be still incommercial and real.
-
(Tigershark) DELETED by Tigershark
i dont care if im driving a FZ5 that handles and looks (almost) like a porsche 911, or a licensed 911...
as long as there are people that drive with me (cant say race since Im a drifter)

Driven XRT long enough, got used to it, and to its looks, so when I saw a starion in the city, I called a XRT without a shadow of a doubt...
so why need real cars? we got great cars made on impression of real ones
the cars are a part of lfs and it wouldnt be the same without them although if possible my favorite track in the world is nurburgring but it is probibly an unrealistick goal.

lfs is the most advanced driving/racing simulation in the world in my opinion we should be carefull about what we do and dont change

Scawen quote

(it must be a racing simulator)

if it stayed the same for now and ever i would be happy because i dont think anything will ever beat its phisics
Quote from srdsprinter :IMO, it's much better for LFS to remain what is, an excellent online racing simulator. More content is always welcomed, in any form.

:iagree:
Quote from srdsprinter :IMO, it's much better for LFS to remain what is, an excellent online racing simulator. More content is always welcomed, in any form.

Yes, of course.

Keep the focus on the simulator, no problem about that, but do not remove options like the 'old' reset or LFS will just lose a lot of users, the ones who will never win MoE and won't even try to do it and who will look for a more 'funny' game.

Games that last long are games with mods because mods increase the number of users.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG