The online racing simulator
AGP Fast Write?
(15 posts, started )
AGP Fast Write?
well, the question is on or off?
ive google'd quite a bit and found both answers.

"enable it, a lot more performance!"

"leave it off, will make ur system unstable!"

so...i have no clue what to do.
atm its off and system is running fine but well...i could use some more power without OC'ing.

the card is a 7600GS with 256 mb.

any help appreciated!
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :well, the question is on or off?
ive google'd quite a bit and found both answers.

"enable it, a lot more performance!"

"leave it off, will make ur system unstable!"

so...i have no clue what to do.
atm its off and system is running fine but well...i could use some more power without OC'ing.

the card is a 7600GS with 256 mb.

any help appreciated!

Just turned on.

Never saw it. Probably because i neevr play with the bios.

I think that its better turned on.

EDIT : and i guess that you have an AMD?
yea i do...but what has this to do with the fast write option?
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :yea i do...but what has this to do with the fast write option?

uhm.. I guess that only AMD cpu's with AMD motherboard has this AGP fastwrite option?

anyway i dont really so much about it. so sorry 4 bothering you.
get something like aquamark or 3dmark and benchmark it with fast writes on and off and see the results... usually it will be faster with fastwrites on.
Fast Writes is an Intel thing but VIA also used it.
Then they went to the court for 2 years http://www.abanet.org/antitrus ... _property/feb1report.html.

Fast Writes should send "gfx data" directly to the gfx-card without taking the way through the Ram first.
So it brings just a very little performance boost and with some OpenGL-Games you loose performance (and it makes AMD systems in many cases unstable)

In most cases you should turn it off when you got an AMD board.

But you can try it yourself.
Some can run it without problems, other do have an unstable system soon.
Quote from BBO@BSR :Fast Writes is an Intel thing but VIA also used it.
Then they went to the court for 2 years http://www.abanet.org/antitrus ... _property/feb1report.html.

Fast Writes should send "gfx data" directly to the gfx-card without taking the way through the Ram first.
So it brings just a very little performance boost and with some OpenGL-Games you loose performance (and it makes AMD systems in many cases unstable)

In most cases you should turn it off when you got an AMD board.

But you can try it yourself.
Some can run it without problems, other do have an unstable system soon.

aaaand what do you mean with unstable??
i play games with fastwrite and it is fine?
ok, what bout OC'ing then?
ive found a thread bout it somewhere in the web:

---------Card-------------GPU---RAM---Cooler
Sparkle 7600 GS | 477 | 842 | stock

so, thats my card (and manufacturer) and my card is at 400 mhz GPU and RAM.
so the question is, how much would OC improve my performance?
lets say i set my GPU to 450 and my ram to 500.
if its like 2 fps i surely wont do it, i know i cant expect wonders but id expect quite a few more fps.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :aaaand what do you mean with unstable??
i play games with fastwrite and it is fine?

as I said some can run it without problems, other do have an unstable system soon.

Unstable means in this case i.e the games crashes for "no reason".
I experienced it myself with 2 systems, I had only problems when it was turned on but I had also other PCs and it ran fine.

So it really depends on what chipset, grafixcard, cpu you have to let it run without problems. Just google for it there are plenty of sources and post about problems with it and also bigger testing sites like "Tom's Hardware" had experienced problems with it.

So be lucky that it runs for you, but that doesn't mean it's always like this
Fast writes are ancient. They were made a long time ago, when AGP was invented, to make it faster because the bus speeds were so slow (maybe 66 or 100 MHz). But the days of SDR buses are long gone, and these days you won't notice a difference, especially if you have a DDR bus.

Funny, I used to have it on until I upgraded my video card. With my newer video card, it just wouldn't turn on for some reason. Doesn't matter anyway, cause my newer video card is faster.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :if its like 2 fps i surely wont do it, i know i cant expect wonders but id expect quite a few more fps.

It's more than 2 fps - from my tests every 10% you overclock both the memory and core you get a 10% FPS boost BUT your GFX has to be the limiting factor.

Just fyi most graphics card will deal with 100 MHz more on the memory and 50 MHz on the core, so it's worth a try (although i've completely given up with overclocking my card)
Quote from BBO@BSR :as I said some can run it without problems, other do have an unstable system soon.

Unstable means in this case i.e the games crashes for "no reason".
I experienced it myself with 2 systems, I had only problems when it was turned on but I had also other PCs and it ran fine.

So it really depends on what chipset, grafixcard, cpu you have to let it run without problems. Just google for it there are plenty of sources and post about problems with it and also bigger testing sites like "Tom's Hardware" had experienced problems with it.

So be lucky that it runs for you, but that doesn't mean it's always like this

Oh damn. i guess your right. My Monitor just turns black when playing BF2 sometimes since i activated it.

Hey man thank you for the explanation

EDIT : does it damage my GFX card?
Quote from Jakg :It's more than 2 fps - from my tests every 10% you overclock both the memory and core you get a 10% FPS boost BUT your GFX has to be the limiting factor.

Just fyi most graphics card will deal with 100 MHz more on the memory and 50 MHz on the core, so it's worth a try (although i've completely given up with overclocking my card)

thats good to know, i *might* try it some time.
@Takumi
It shouldn't damage your GFX card .
Quote from MataGyula :@Takumi
It shouldn't damage your GFX card .

I hope so, I just let it turned on.

AGP Fast Write?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG