The online racing simulator
removal of gameplay elements...
first, i like lfs alot, when s1 was the only game in town, i tried to convince alot of racers to get into it. their complaint was the same as mine at the time, there wasnt enough to the gameplay to make the game fun for more than brief racing sessions...

i found my fun via lfstweak and drifting/autocross, some might remember my server or au_tracks...

flash forward to s2, physics are significantly improved and crash dynamics are very cool, but the game is less fun not more fun, heres why.

lfstweak not available, cars are not customizable. i dont mean wings and body kits (i couldnt care less what the cars look like aslong as they dont distract from the sim).

i am engineer type and play racing games because i like to build a car better suited to my (or others) driving styles and preferences. nothing more satisfying to me than building a better -class restricted- car and kicking the crap out of someones elses best effort. this has never been possible in lfs, but atleast when i put car-packs together for online play (lfstweak), i could setup competitive but different cars to race and the racers could chose which best suited them or the track we were racing on. tweaking spring rates is boring, tweaking engine specs is not. i want to build engines not play with sway bar settings.

maximum steering angle.....difting was the other thing that really rocked my socks in s1. the drifting community was (is still? i wouldnt know) huge and extremely active in lfs, and attracted alot of people by word of mouth to the game. even though the game had its limitations at the time (bad tire physics) the drifting was beautiful and fun. it made great videos to show off the physics engine, and spoke to an audience that not alot of games have been able to reach without catering to them exclusively (ridge racer comes to mind, or nfsu's failure at trying to include a "drift mode")

but my drifting days were immediately cancelled by s2 alpha's insistence that no car can turn its wheels more than 30 degrees. even at maximum 45, my rb4 drifting was applauded by many, i looked forward to drifting with more realistic physics, but that is not possible because 1/3 of steering lock has been removed. its still possible to power-on oversteer, but not the drift style i had mastered in s1 (i won a fair amount of duels/competitions). im honestly at a loss trying to explain to others why this cut to gameplay was made, the only answer ive been able to come up with was its a bandaid to cover the "tires dont behave properly at low speeds with greater than 30 degrees lock" bug. damn the bug, noone is maximum locking at low speeds in races so it was not effecting the core gameplay elements the devs are trying to adhere to. seems as if the devs just wanted to get rid of the drifters...?

summary: please add more steering angle to the cars. please help (or stop restricting, depending who you listen to) lfstweak's development for online play. ill promise atleast 10 new racers if these changes are made, and im sure it will help others convince their hesitant friends to join also.

ty for taking the time to read this. if your one of those jerks who goes flaming any idea that doesnt fit into THEIR IDEA of what makes lfs great, please ignore this thread, your negative comments do not help, they only make the lfs community more close-minded, arrogant, less fun, and ultimately, smaller. i was too busy having fun to care about improving a lap time by 0.03 seconds, id like to be having fun again.

i may or may not continue reading the forum. feel free to contact me directly at iordshiva on aol's email service with comments, flaming, or updates on lfs gameplay. (i wont be playing lfs or purchasing a s2 license until these changes are made)
lol very few (if any) cars exist with 40 degrees of steering radius.. .. how would that even work first of all? all 3 bars would be like.. messed up after you turn lol

and .. there is an lfstweak?
#3 - JJ72
Funny how telling people to shut up is going to make the LFS community more open minded and less arrogant.

Who is restricting LFStweak's development anyway.
:iagree:
I'd like to have a bigger wheel lock on all cars. Don't go flaming because it isn't realistic, if you don't want 45 degrees of lock, simply set it lower!
I like to drift too, but sometimes the 36 degrees lock is just spoiling the fun
What steering lock do the cars of professional (d1?) drifters have? Seems to me this wouldn't be a unrealistic request if they have 45 degrees as well.

But if it isn't possible in real life, I don't think it should be possible in LFS...
#6 - ORION
I mean... in real life you can change just about anything on your car, you could even have 90°C... Ok it doesnt make any sense, but it IS POSSIBLE

I dont care really because I dont drift, so it's up to you and Scawen
Quote from ORION :I mean... in real life you can change just about anything on
your car, you could even have 90°C... Ok it doesnt make any sense, but it
IS POSSIBLE

Ok, no. It's not. I don't see how you could possibly have a wheel that
can be turned 90° both ways. Where would it be supported from ?! I
want to see a drawing of the suspension arm allowing a wheel to do this illepall
Btw, don't take this post in the wrong way Orion, i'm just trying to
figure out HOW and i just can't.

Where's my CAD !!! Ok, extrude a circle...
add a constraint here, and...d'oh!...no, that won't work...

...but of course, in LFS, it could be done since there isn't any
physical limitation there Perhaps this is what you meant
#8 - ajp71
IMO asking for more variety is not the best way forward, LFS already has 18 cars of which at least 8 of them have major flaws in the physics (UF1 structural stiffness, UFR + XFR diffs, and high ride heights in FO8 + FOX + GTRs). I think these should be sorted out before S2 goes final.

For S3 it would be great to see rain, more tracks, the vast majority of the setup options for the road cars removed and maybe some new cars in the existing classes. As much as we may want things such as trucks, karts, bikes or historics we may as well forget them, no physics engine is perfect they are all designed to work best for a certain type of car.
Quote from bobvanvliet :What steering lock do the cars of professional (d1?) drifters have? Seems to me this wouldn't be a unrealistic request if they have 45 degrees as well.

But if it isn't possible in real life, I don't think it should be possible in LFS...

i dont know about any of the other cars, but in an article in hot rod about the rhys millen drift gto (the one that was the 2005 car, not the new muscle car version), the stock lock was 42 degrees, and they modified the suspension/steering to give it 55 degrees.
Fonnybody, it is possible, during my odd job years I drove all sorts of forklifts and on many of them the tires turned 90 and even 180 degrees - yes, as in you could turn full circle with the wheels, or you could just keep turning it and it would go around and around... and around.
It is possible, but is it practical on a car is a whole different matter (hmm... )

For what it's worth, I have no objection that they reduced the max steer angle. If we all drove with 301s and DFPs I would have, but with 45 deg steer angle and 270 deg lock-to-lock wheel (that's what most here have) it is ridiculously easy to catch slides.
I still have to run the Logitech profiler to limit the range of my wheel to about 45%, it means I can't catch big slides but I can now drive the LX6 in a straight line.

90º would not be possible on a car traveling at 100 mph, that much lock would simply rip the suspension to pieces.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG