The online racing simulator
256 or 512?
(13 posts, started )
256 or 512?
I've been shopping for a new GFX recently and want to clarify something up. I heard that you need more memory from your GFX for more texture usage, which means higher-res screens, right? Well, I run a 20in. widescreen LCD at 1680x1050 and would like to know if a 256MB card or 512 would be better. Both cards will be a X1950XT and the games I plan on playing will be LFS and TDU on hi-res.

Also, the 512 card I'm looking at seems to have a X1950 Pro PCB, it has 628 Core clock but a 1400 mem. clock. That isn't a full spec XT as one should have a 1800 mem. clock, but my question is that would the 400mHz make performance noticably slower?
#2 - Jakg
I'd go for the 512 MB one, purely because while the res you've got the 256 will "do", but games are pushing the limits up and up.

FTR i run a 7950GT 256 on that res, and it plays LFS and TDU fine, but i REALLY wished i'd coughed up the extra £10 to get the 512 MB version.
Ok, but as you have read, thee memory clock of the 512 card is on a Pro PCB so it is 400mHz slower, would that be a noticeable difference?
#4 - Jakg
200 MHz is a fair bit, tbh, but i'd still go for the 512 MB card. Are you sure there isnt a card a little more expensive with higher clocks? If it were me i'd get the cheapest XT (or Pro if it were too expensive) 512 MB i could find and an after market heatsink, vMod it and overclock to high heaven.

(Well, actually i'd get the cheapest 7900GTO i could find, but i just prefer nVidia)
Well, the 512 one is the cheapest XT on Newegg for under $200, any others are over $300.

BTW, whats vMod?
^Volt moding the PCB to allow higher overclocks, same deal as overclocking a CPU, more voltage = more overclocking room. Most stock GPU heatsinks can't handle heavy volt moding.
~Bryan~
#7 - Jakg
Soldering? With a few (and i mean a few!) cards you can up it in the BIOS of the card (ie mine is stock at 1.25v, and i can up it to 1.35v or 1.45v) and with most cards you can use a conductive ink pen to link a few pins together with traces - to vmod the memory (a vmem mod) you can often do it just by shading in a resistor using a pencil!

Higher vCore can be done in the BIOS, but often for 1337z0r overclockz0rz the BIOS value isn't enough and they resort to the conductive ink pen on the motherboard trick.

I wouldn't class vmodding as extreme, tbh, not if you have decent cooling and an understanding of what your doing.
Ok, well, thanks for the help I just ordered a X1950XT 512MB and it should come this week. I don't think I'll vMod it, just maybe overclock the memory a little.
I've heard good things about OCing those cards. As for Volt modding, I don't consider it 'hardore' overclocking, as long as you know what your doing it's all good. But I don't think any newer ATi or Nvidia card has cooling able to handle any DECENT volt mods.
~Bryan~
A Vmod isnt that extreme if you ask me. It all depends on our own hardware skills off course. You can even do a Vmod with a pencil. By using the calc you can diverd the layout of the PCb and leave some resistors out. That way way you get a higher Vcore.

So what is extreme. I have to reminf you if you do this the wrong it will be extreme for a nanosecond
Extreme is co2 or nitrogen cooling, or perhaps making a CPU out of highly skilled uber efficient monkeys, overclocking is a problem as you must get into the case to feed more bananas to the monkeys
~Bryan~
On topic note, whats the performance gap between a x1950 Pro and a XT? (Asuming they are both 256 or 512)
#12 - Jakg
CO2? WTF?!

LN2, Phase, Cascade, Air, Ion, Water, Chilled Water, TEC and Dry Ice i've all seen - but CO2?
-
(wheel4hummer) DELETED by wheel4hummer
Yeah I've done it...didn't really work too well LOL. it was XTREME HAXX....as a newb. Long story really, haha, lets just say once upon a time I was a dumbass with a Windows 95 office platform.
~Bryan~

256 or 512?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG