The online racing simulator
#1 - Ilpav
Car Companies Making Games Based on One of their Cars
I'm sure some of you know about that new BMW M3 game (developed with the GTR/2/RACE engine). Imagine if BMW teamed up with LFS and made a game just for the M3 (like it is now), but with the LFS engine? How awesome would that be?

And all car companies should do this instead of going with "more popular" game engines.

Agree??
meh
But then the LFS developers would be tied up doing corporate gigs for car companies instead of developing LFS, which would suck ass.
idc about m3s and stuff but i love the lfs cars the way they are new cars wouldnt be bad but a whole diffrent game NO
Quote from S14Drift :... responce ...

At least he spelled "meh" right

But yes, point taken. It took me almost 0.2 seconds to read (and completely disregard) that "meh" and I want that time back, dammit!
#7 - Gunn
I liked the "meh".
But then they'd make LFS crap with dodgy handling and blingy graphics so that 10 year olds can play it with a joypad (i.e. to generate sales).

What LFS needs is the occasional company, like Ariel, to approch them and ask for it's inclusion without modifications to LFS (excepting the implementation of systems on the car, e.g. TC with the Sauber).

But I'm more than happy with fantasy cars, because it keeps the great unwashed playing games like rFactor and NFS (which I lump together pretty much).
#9 - Joris
As LFS is a real sim. it is not very flattering to a street car's handling characteristics as less hard core games would be.

A more arcadish game would be commercially more interesting for a car manufacturer.
#10 - Skil
Quote from Ilpav :How awesome would that be?

Sorry mate but it won't be cool at all :faint2: LFS used to be sim not some easy-to-play game that's main purpose is to advertise this or that manufacturer.
Quote from tristancliffe :But then they'd make LFS crap with dodgy handling and blingy graphics so that 10 year olds can play it with a joypad (i.e. to generate sales).

What LFS needs is the occasional company, like Ariel, to approch them and ask for it's inclusion without modifications to LFS (excepting the implementation of systems on the car, e.g. TC with the Sauber).

But I'm more than happy with fantasy cars, because it keeps the great unwashed playing games like rFactor and NFS (which I lump together pretty much).

Why would a washing powder company be interested in LFS?
Quote from ebola :Why would a washing powder company be interested in LFS?

never heard of Ariel Atom?
Dude what's wrong with your face?
Quote from ebola :Why would a washing powder company be interested in LFS?

Imagine the carnage if washing powder impact physics and rain was implemented some day! :S
Attached images
lfs ariel.jpg
Personally I think it would be a terrible idea. Once companies get to influence the game you will find the physics tweaked in order to make the car appear easier to drive to potential customers. Plus it would be unlikely for them to allow the car to be flipped or damaged beyond repair as well.

Its an oxymoron, but in order to get realistic handling cars in LFS they must be entirely fictional. Only this way can the devs implement things how they actually are, not how someone would like them to be.
Well, not entirely fictional. Depends what sort of a deal you're cutting with whom.
Quote from ebola :I saw what it did to Clarksons face!!!

LOL! :uglyhamme
Quote from Electrik Kar :Well, not entirely fictional. Depends what sort of a deal you're cutting with whom.

True enough. I think if it is ever going to work the devs must make the company involved aware that they will not implent anything that would compromise the integrity of the sim.
Quote from Origamiboy :True enough. I think if it is ever going to work the devs must make the company involved aware that they will not implent anything that would compromise the integrity of the sim.

Good in theory, but it never ends up like that. A company could easily flash their money around, more then enough for the devs to say "Yes sir, no sir...right away sir".

At first, a simple one year contract saying just that, the devs have complete control. After that one year the company decides things arent going how they would like, in comes that suitcase full of money to make the game their way...you know, but they are the "experts".

LFS should stay "independant" unless a company just wants to invest in its future development, not morph it into something else.
Quote from Motordirex :Good in theory, but it never ends up like that. A company could easily flash their money around, more then enough for the devs to say "Yes sir, no sir...right away sir".

At first, a simple one year contract saying just that, the devs have complete control. After that one year the company decides things arent going how they would like, in comes that suitcase full of money to make the game their way...you know, but they are the "experts".

LFS should stay "independant" unless a company just wants to invest in its future development, not morph it into something else.

Doubt that with the LFS devs. They wouldn't put themselves into that situation. That's why we only have the RAC and MRT as true real life cars in LFS (disregarding the BF1). The MRT as a real car has been in LFS since S1 and the RAC since the beginnings of S2, well beyond 2 years now. If it is to end up all about money, then I'm sure the devs won't be interested, period.
While all these arguments are quite correct and logical, here's a question.
Have you tries the M3 challange and what do you think?

I have and I think it's complete junk.
Handling is way off, graphics are sub par and FF is to laugh at.
Remember, this is from a guy who argues that one should play more then one sim and who believes that rF and the GTR series can be great fun.

Any automaker wishing to portray their top of the line sports model such as BMW did, with a game that's not even close to the real thing is out of their mind.
While going with gt4 or a more arcade game is fine IMO, the current M3 challange doesn't do the car justice even the slightest bit.
Chances are SCAVIER would have turned them down (sadly) but can you imagine what LFS could do for large automakers and what they could equally do for LFS.

20% less creative freedom, 80% more income and licensing deals.
Quote from gohfeld23 :

If it just would be that easy...
Quote from gohfeld23 :While all these arguments are quite correct and logical, here's a question.
Have you tries the M3 challange and what do you think?

I have and I think it's complete junk.
Handling is way off, graphics are sub par and FF is to laugh at.
Remember, this is from a guy who argues that one should play more then one sim and who believes that rF and the GTR series can be great fun.

Any automaker wishing to portray their top of the line sports model such as BMW did, with a game that's not even close to the real thing is out of their mind.
While going with gt4 or a more arcade game is fine IMO, the current M3 challange doesn't do the car justice even the slightest bit.
Chances are SCAVIER would have turned them down (sadly) but can you imagine what LFS could do for large automakers and what they could equally do for LFS.

M3 Challenge is no way near as bad as you make it out to be, the graphics are 10x that of LFS the handling is different but I wouldn't say its all that far off and yes the FF is utter shit. Perhaps if you spent more then 30 seconds playing it you might come to enjoy it, I found it pretty fun although its nothing to scream and shout about.

Driving a brand new M3 round a real track was great, it sounded cool and its modelled very good so I don't see why anyone wouldn't even consider downloading it. Its free and in some aspects it outclasses LFS no sweat, plus variety is good as it gives you a fresh look on what others are doing and what your favourite product isn't.
I found M3 challenge very funny, and the AI give me a hard time (probably because I s*ck, I saw an AI doing 2'12 , 2sec quicker than me ).
BTW, the idea to see a new car implemented thanks to this kind of process sounds cool to me...hum actually I don't care so much about the car, but if they give the license for the Nordschleife to Scavier, that could be VERY interesting

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG