The online racing simulator
American top fuel propaganda (trivia)
(28 posts, started )
#1 - wark
This was one of those email forwards (so take it with a grain of salt), but I thought it was nevertheless interesting enough to post.

Apologies if it has been posted before. It's probably old, anyway... discuss.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 6 rows at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 gallon of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger.

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half track, the launch acceleration approaches 8Gs.

Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

Including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

The redline is actually quite high at 9500rpm.

It takes 1500+hp just to turn a top fuel blower.

The pressure coming out of the headers can provide 1000lbs of down force. When a cylinder goes out, it can actually steer the car due to loss of down force on one side.

There is so much torsional twist in the crankshaft (up to 20 degrees at the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to try and re-phase the valve timing closer to synchronization with the pistons.

The car will be going over 60mph before the rear wheels cross the start line, 300 inches.

The Bottom Line; Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated US $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:

You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter "twin-turbo" powered Corvette Z06 (or blown Viper). Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.
Quote :Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

From a completely nerdy point of view, that's my favourite. Molecules of water get smashed to bits by hot gas and the hydrogen atoms roasted. Cosmic.
I don't watch drags that much but the machines are so ridiculous I can't help but love 'em

Good list - nice avatar too, go Gurney :up:
Quote from wark :Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

Record is 4.428 at 336.15 mph, from my searching. 200 mph is ~293.333 feet per second. The Vette will pass 1298.88 feet in 4.428 seconds at 200 mph. The dragster will cross the line while the vette has 21.12 feet left to go .

I can't be bothered to calculate exactly where the vette will be passed.
Quote from wark :
Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Only for slow readers though. even if I have to read it out aloud, i'm quicker than 4 seconds
Quote from wark :
Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

somebody please explain this to me..
what does from light to light mean?
#6 - ajp71
Quote from squidhead :somebody please explain this to me..
what does from light to light mean?

The way I read it it means the engine has 540 revolutions between the light going green and the end of the run.
-
(micha1980de) DELETED by micha1980de : already explained
Wow. I never knew most of these, I watch a load of drag racing

I never understand why they refer to a race as a run though, anyone clear that up?

DK
Quote from ajp71 :The way I read it it means the engine has 540 revolutions between the light going green and the end of the run.

How would that be possible? If it takes 4 seconds, then the engine would have to be revving at 110rpm!

Quote from DieKolkrabe :I never understand why they refer to a race as a run though, anyone clear that up?

Because drag racing uses a championship tree. After making one pass down the dragstrip, the race is not over. Think of a "run" as being like a lap. Except they can't call it a lap, since you don't go in a circle.
Quote :The car will be going over 60mph before the rear wheels cross the start line, 300 inches.

i dont think so.....
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :i dont think so.....

why?
a top fuel (or is it top alcohol?) dragster is a long vehicle...
with it's power and traction I believe it's pretty much realistic
I mean 300 inches (If I get it right is a dragster's lenght) is 7.62 meters, why wouldn't it be over 60mph in that time?

Quote from wheel4hummer :How would that be possible? If it takes 4 seconds, then the engine would have to be revving at 110rpm!

Ehm...that would be 110 rps then (revolutions per second)
110*60 =6600rpm (that's average rpm during whole run)
pretty possible
7,5 meters is nothing.
if it would acclerate that fast the G forces would be...well not really healthy.

it may acclerate fast but i dont think that fast.
Quote :Because drag racing uses a championship tree. After making one pass down the dragstrip, the race is not over. Think of a "run" as being like a lap. Except they can't call it a lap, since you don't go in a circle.

Thanks Kev, that still leaves the mystery of why any US motor race is called a run (usually by older commentators). I'm baffled by it.

DK
Quote from wheel4hummer :How would that be possible? If it takes 4 seconds, then the engine would have to be revving at 110rpm!

Please for once think before posting
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :7,5 meters is nothing.
if it would acclerate that fast the G forces would be...well not really healthy.

A top fueler accelerates in under a second from 0 to 100 km/h

but then again, 402 meters is also not much, but it goes over 500 kph at that distance, and the G forces arent healthy in drag racing

I know it seems crazy and false. I thought so to. But go and watch Top Fuel - they DO NOT accelerate.

They are sitting there on the lights, and then suddenly they are doing over 100mph. It's almost impossible (at first) to see the 'acceleration phase' from standing to 100mph.

They really do hit 60mph in less than their own length.

300mph is not fast?.... do you live in slowmotion?
I only thought they hit 200 on 1/4 mile until i was 13/14 and i realised it wasn't being measured in Kph (320mph being 200mph) it WAS actually 300mph, thats something over 500kph

Quote from ATHome :top fueler accelerates in under a second from 0 to 100 km/h

A top fueler can reach 160 KPH in under 1 second.
8000 horsepower plus.

To all of you, I write : The smell of Nitrous. The smell of Burnt rubber. Drag Racing really is a animal sport. Yea, if you watch from the TV, it IS just cars in a straightline but seriously. Watch these things in real life. You will want to come back until its no longer physically possible.
He said acceleration isn't that fast, you are referring to speed. Speed is NOT an acceleration. Being perfect at English I'm sure you knew that.
Quote from tristancliffe :He said acceleration isn't that fast, you are referring to speed. Speed is NOT an acceleration. Being perfect at English I'm sure you knew that.

Haha. No need to be like THAT Tristan :P. Yes, it has always annoyed me, when people say what determines the winner of a drag race is the fastest to the line. No, its the quickest to the line. Many people have lost a drag race but still had more speed than their opponent when they both crossed the line. The reason for this is. The car that one, obviously did a quicker time, and therefore didn't have enough time to Build up the speed. Unlike the guy that lost, who wasn't QUICK enough, so he had time to build up the speed. I'm writing this, and as i understand the theory, to this day, I can't.... figure it out. It doesn't make complete sense but, hey, thats how it is.

P.S. The truth is, European Dragsters are faster than American ones
Quote from tristancliffe :He said acceleration isn't that fast, you are referring to speed.

I believe anything able to do 0-300 mph in just 402 meters should also accelerate fast
Quote from squidhead :I believe anything able to do 0-300 mph in just 402 meters should also accelerate fast

Thats a Valid point. In most cars. 200mph is at the point when they don't accelerate much more. Where as in a Top Fueller, it just keeps going and going, therefore, the Acceleration of such, can out run most of the worlds fastest cars in its Acceleration phase
I was at an air show a few years ago in Dallas. they had a jet funny car race an F-16. At the start of the race, the plane was already doing 200 mph, this car still beat it. By two or three car lengths at that.
Quote from ajp71 :The way I read it it means the engine has 540 revolutions between the light going green and the end of the run.

But what does that mean? I interperet what you say to mean: The engine rotates 540 times from the start to the finish.
Quote from wheel4hummer :But what does that mean? I interperet what you say to mean: The engine rotates 540 times from the start to the finish.

Consider the engine averages 7000RPM, that's about 116 revolutions per second, a run lasts 4.5 seconds, that's 466 engine revolutions under full power for the run, figure another couple seconds under full power for the burnout and you have it, 540 revolutions under full power for the burnout and the run.

The acceleration is not linear but 60MPH in 7.62m is less than 5G on average.

(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG