The online racing simulator
New on the block
(7 posts, started )
New on the block
Greetings all, I purchased S2 some months ago but started playing just a few days ago. And I must say it is awesome. Clearly the best racer available at this time. The physics (as long as the car doesn't start flying) seem extremely good. Its really nice the way you can actually almost feel the car getting lighter as it burns fuel and the the way the car changes when the tyres get heated up or worn. And finally a game where you feel like you are driving a powerful rear drive monster and not your grandma's Taunus when you come into a curve. Excellent work.

My apologies if I have unintentionally caused any of your cars grievous harm or a ruined paintjob, I try to be careful but I am still new to this game.

I have some questions, probably answered, but I'll make them still:

1.) I'm having some difficulties with yellow flags. When they come up I try to be careful but still some problems often arise, most often when I slow down but a car behind me goes for a pass in a curve. Is it common to pass under yellow flags or is it just something rude people do?

2.) Since I'm new I drive slower than most people do, probably due to wrong lines in curves. If I see an overtaking car behind me when close to a curve I'm not totally in control of (not being blue flagged, he is behind me in the race) what's the norm? Should I just take the slower line and let him pass?

3.) Some of the cars feel a little slippery at low speeds, is this correctable by adjusting my controllers or is it just a game feature? Or is it just realistic?

Anyhows, hello all and happy racing. My apologies for any piles I might cause in the future.
Welcome to the group. I'll try to answer your questions in the order you listed them.

1) The game doesn't issue penalties for passing under yellow so people do take advantage of it.

2) The courteous thing to do is to yield to the leader and take the outside line but unless he's far away (the blue flag warnings trigger quite early) or he's gaining on you big time, take the corner as you normally would and yield on the following straight to minimize time lost.

3) The lack of low speed grip is definitely a game-related issue so don't mess with your settings if you've got them where you like them. Whether the grip levels are realistic or not is open to a lot of debate.

Hope that helps.
Nice to see a fellow norwegian. LFS needs more of us :P
3) Scawen (the developer) is hopefully working on a patch that will finally do something to the grip level at low speeds so it's not because of bad setup. Currently we'll just have to live this issue.
Quote :1.) I'm having some difficulties with yellow flags. When they come up I try to be careful but still some problems often arise, most often when I slow down but a car behind me goes for a pass in a curve. Is it common to pass under yellow flags or is it just something rude people do?

You are correct, the whole point of a yellow flag is to be more cautious as there is an incident ahead. Usually the yellow flag also means one must hold position. As stated earlier this is blissfully ignored due to the appropriate penalties not being enforced. So yes, it's rude. And common.

Quote :2.) Since I'm new I drive slower than most people do, probably due to wrong lines in curves. If I see an overtaking car behind me when close to a curve I'm not totally in control of (not being blue flagged, he is behind me in the race) what's the norm? Should I just take the slower line and let him pass?

I'm going to explain this precisely as you've said it, as per the emboldened part:

When going into the braking zone prior to a corner, you should hold the line you have chosen (inside or outside) because your opponent may try to outbrake you. This is a perfectly legal technique to attempt a pass.

When you are at the point of starting to turn into the corner you may use whatever line you wish (inside, outside, fastest) but may not change your line once in the corner provided that your opponent's front bumper is
1) not at least level with yours if s/he is passing from the outside or
2) further back than your driver's position when s/he is passing from the inside.

I.e., If your opponent is behind you when you start to turn in, you don't have to let him/her do anything.

If you are side-by-side (or s/he's a little bit back when on the inside) you and your opponent must stick to your respective lines.

Of course if at any point you feel there is a real chance you may lose control enough to make heavey contact with your opponent, as a new driver, it is probably in your interest to play it safe and let him/her pass (with the logic that you would have been passed soon anyway due to being significantly slower).

Quote :3.) Some of the cars feel a little slippery at low speeds, is this correctable by adjusting my controllers or is it just a game feature? Or is it just realistic?

They are a bit too slippery at the moment, and we hope that in the next incompatible patch (or at some point anyways ) this will be fixed. The devs are known to be aware and working on this.
Welcome.

Some answers:

1) Yellows is a contentious issue, one that you will see crop up in many a discussion in this forum. The rules basically imply that under a Yellow flag track position must be maintained and caution taken. But in the Game world Yellows don't really mean very much atm. Partly due to the non enforcement of penalties as mentioned before but also, as you become more experianced in your racing, that many people pit directly after a crash, or are actually of track or have even just picked themselves up and carried on. So with a yellow, carry on at speed at your own judgement. slow at your own judgement. So long as you ain't stupid about it, you'll work it out.

2) If you are not under blues you could be considered to be racing. If you know that the chap behind is a regular racer and is naturally faster than you then it might just be courteous to let the guy past. It will save a lot of grief and handbags when you have accidentally knocked him of. If you are racing then defend your line and race through the corner with dignity and proffesionality. When you are known better had have faith in your abilities and setup then by all means race on good fellow.

3) Slippery at low speed happens to everyone mate. We find ways of driving around it or setting our sets to cope with that particular handling indiosyncracy. Maybe increase downforce. Lower tyre pressures. Soften the front up a bit to let it grip more. There are a few setup areas you can look at to lessen the impact of low speed grip, but you need to balance these against the rest of the setup. Just get out there and experiment and have fun playing. Just don't piss off the big boys. Accidental or not it really pisses the regulars off if you continually block traffic or cause accidents.
-
(CYA LTR) DELETED by CYA LTR
Thanks for the replies all. Really appreciate the help.

New on the block
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG