The online racing simulator
Well, contrary to the DFP, you can actually use the G25 pedals, so you'll get at least some feet exercise.
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :I posted yesterday my conclusion, everyone who has bought LFS should not belong to it.

You could read the thread in more detail if you were interested, I don't understand and I appear to be deluded.

I bitch about Shift+P, and custom views. Right?

I decided to see if you would read this post, since you ignored everyone else explaining the difference between user interfaces and physics simulation.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :I decided to see if you would read this post, since you ignored everyone else explaining the difference between user interfaces and physics simulation.

I'm astonished with your intelligence level, having to resort to childish tactics as changing my words. Now, I'm willing to believe that you capable to discuss at a rational level.

Read slowly. 10 pilots start a race. Their cars engines, tires, weight and other factors are simulated, acceleration, inertia and other forces are taken in to account to generate a positive experience for everyone.

At some point the leader looses its car and crash, its now in the center of the track and other pilots are coming fast.

QUESTION:

IF this is a simulation, and so much care has taken in order to have a proper depiction of some of the variables involved... how come the crashed car can "disappear" from the track?

I want to think that you believe your own "itss a simuulaaatiooon duuudeeee" and also that you are perfectly capable of understanding that a car disappearing its not a realistic depiction of this reality.

And we are talking about THE SIMULATION, forget about the interface. My guess? it is ok with you because you are a fanboy.
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :IF this is a simulation, and so much care has taken in order to have a proper depiction of some of the variables involved... how come the crashed car can "disappear" from the track?

That is irrelevant to the physics simulation though, no?
Quote from thsancho :I'd just like to have the "throttle cut" for upshifting it would be a nice gesture for the DFP users , Thats my only problem with the new patch.

Why do you need a throttle cut for DFP pedals? There's absolutely no reason why you can't lift or blip and still have an advantage over non-wimpy G25 users. I'm heel and toeing with my DFP pedals, yes it isn't the best solution but it's still perfectly possible.
Quote from ajp71 :Why do you need a throttle cut for DFP pedals? There's absolutely no reason why you can't lift or blip and still have an advantage over non-wimpy G25 users.

Yeah, I really don't get it either. I can drive perfectly fine with my DFP. Lifting and blipping has become second nature at this point. Lack of a clutch doesn't excuse flatshifting. (I also use a manual button-clutch, but that probably isn't for everyone. )
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :I'm childish.

I got bored of trying to answer your questions a few pages ago, you don't read what other people post. You keep on asking the same questions, people keep answering them, then you ask the same questions again as a response to the answers originally posted to those questions. Your like a small child that keeps saying why?

Why do we have Shift+P in a simulation?

...because its just a game, its about enjoyment, so LFS compromises on small things like that so the car physics can be as realistic as possible. Thus not putting people off by making it inaccessible.

Yeh but why have it?

...I just answered that

Why?

...what are you talking about?

yeh...BUT WHY?
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :Still, I play (PLAY) LFS because I like to drive and because I like to play. I have never liked that we have to struggle with setups, on top of that now tyres are useless and we have a clutch that forces us to be "gentle". the ARCADE mode would be as real as the SIM one, but it would not allow for setups, tyres and clutch would last forever and so we would only test our skills TO DRIVE, not to be a mechanic or to believe we are having more "realism".

I'm just going to comment on the thread.. :P

I agree with you, to the extent that I want tires that can go on and on and on..

The rest of the game, including the clutch is working fine for me atm, but I HATE that after a couple of laps of "drifting" I'm forced to go pitting or return to garage before I can have fun again.

Annoying! ^^
Quote from keltern :I HATE that after a couple of laps of "drifting" I'm forced to go pitting or return to garage before I can have fun again.

Why? One would think managing tires was a very important part of drifting in real life too? Once you start making those kind of compromises to the simulation you're squarely in arcade land.
Ok, i've done some research and personally contacted the devs myself. Shift+P is perfectly realistic and simulated almost completely accurate except for the lack of visual cues.

The 'P' in the command actually doesnt refer to 'pit' but Philadelphia. You see, back in the early 1940's the US was working on a way to disguise it's ships to counteract and evade the German U-boats. Dr. Frank Reno was conducting experiments with Einstein’s Unified Field Theory and the possibilty that utilizing large amounts of electroradiation could alter gravity itself and bend light around an object thus rendering it invisible. While some accounts claim that this worked there are other accounts that claimed the experiment had unforseen consequences. The U.S.S. Eldridge was reported to have vanished in a flash of blue light during one of the trials reappeared 20 minutes later 600 miles away then teleport back to the harbor in Philly. The blue light flash has yet to be implemented

Our devs have not only given us a great racing simulator but also fitted each car with a device that can bend time and space precisely enough to teleport our cars at will to the garage. I theorize a microwave receiver flush mounted into teh body work of each vehicle that gathers the energy beamed down from space via simulated orbiting satelites with fields of solar panels that power the "Philly Boxes". These "Philly Boxes" are activated at the simple press of a button.

Now, one side effect of installing said devices is that given a hard enough shunt against a particular surface (other car, autox barrier, etc...) the device malfuntions and sends a jolt of EM radiation temporarily altering the gravity field encompassing the car randomly sending it flying in another direction.

In conclussion, every 'non simulation' aspect of LFS can be explained away with a little digging and prodding.
Quote from wien :Why? One would think managing tires was a very important part of drifting in real life too? Once you start making those kind of compromises to the simulation you're squarely in arcade land.

True, but still annoying.. Often..
Quote from keltern :True, but still annoying.. Often..

Thats why you don't see 'ENDURANCE DRIFTING' events.
Quote from mattlikespeoples :given a hard enough shunt against a particular surface (other car, autox barrier, etc...) the device malfuntions and sends a jolt of EM radiation temporarily altering the gravity field encompassing the car randomly sending it flying in another direction

Now that is more like it.
Quote from xaotik :That is irrelevant to the physics simulation though, no?

So, real objects can vanish leaving a void that it is instantly feed it with other particles like atmosphere. You must live in another dimension. None of the known physical laws of this universe would allow such a thing.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :...because its just a game, its about enjoyment,

So... finally, the voice of reason. You are not as dumb as others have made you believe. Yes, it is a game, and its all about enjoyment. Thanks.

Quote from mattlikespeoples :Ok, i've done some research and personally contacted the devs myself. Shift+P is perfectly realistic and simulated almost completely accurate except for the lack of visual cues...

:huepfenic
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :I'm astonished with your intelligence level, having to resort to childish tactics as changing my words. Now, I'm willing to believe that you capable to discuss at a rational level.

Read slowly. 10 pilots start a race. Their cars engines, tires, weight and other factors are simulated, acceleration, inertia and other forces are taken in to account to generate a positive experience for everyone.

At some point the leader looses its car and crash, its now in the center of the track and other pilots are coming fast.

QUESTION:

IF this is a simulation, and so much care has taken in order to have a proper depiction of some of the variables involved... how come the crashed car can "disappear" from the track?

I want to think that you believe your own "itss a simuulaaatiooon duuudeeee" and also that you are perfectly capable of understanding that a car disappearing its not a realistic depiction of this reality.

And we are talking about THE SIMULATION, forget about the interface. My guess? it is ok with you because you are a fanboy.

I see you are still taking LFS as finished product and not accepting fact that it is Alpha that is not finished but still under development, I think you really should sit back and take a look from another viewpoint

What about if in future LFS will get system where cars do not disappear just like that, but are moved realistic way, just not at this point as even basics are under development?

When S3 is finished, then your arguments would be more valid, now it looks like that you are trying to find something that you could use as leverage in your complaints as you lost some feature that you did prefer to have
Quote from Bodhidharmazen :I understand, the goal is REALISM.

Yet, the new patch should include two modes:

1) Simulation

2) Arcade

For hardcore fans, I guess, mode 1 its ok, they want to believe they are driving "the real thing".

Still, I play (PLAY) LFS because I like to drive and because I like to play. I have never liked that we have to struggle with setups, on top of that now tyres are useless and we have a clutch that forces us to be "gentle". the ARCADE mode would be as real as the SIM one, but it would not allow for setups, tyres and clutch would last forever and so we would only test our skills TO DRIVE, not to be a mechanic or to believe we are having more "realism".

Again, I like to test myself DRIVING, I like to compete with others to try my skills against theirs. THATS IT, if I want to race a car I would buy a gokart or maybe inscribe myself in a real league.

Sorry for the developers, and Im sure some of you readers will hate me and even (maybe) insult me. But anyway, Im just exposing MY opinion.

Well I will just reply to the original post, with my last comment in this thread.

You will be dissapointed with every single new patch the devs release for LFS. The game will be going further and further away from what you want. You can complain and call us fanboys as much as you want, but at the end of the day its your own fault that you bought LFS thinking it was something it is not. I think your problem is that you realise this now, and your unhappy that you spent £24 on S2.
Quote from JTbo :I see you are still taking LFS as finished product and not accepting fact that it is Alpha that is not finished but still under development, I think you really should sit back and take a look from another viewpoint

The thing is that Shift+P could be avoided right now, so the fact that it is still there shows that, as much as anyone wants to believe it, there factors other than reality behind its design.
If you're after unrelenting realism in every aspect of racing. You really ought be playing NetkarPro. Of course, it's sort of in a sorry state development-wise (maybe that will change, maybe not), but it has a hardcore mode where you have to wait while your car is towed back to the pits, you have to wait while your mechanics repair damage, you have to wait while your mechanics implement your setup changes.

Yes, that is realistic, but I think it's taking things a little too far personally. Some people swear by it though, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic sim, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing that really matters is the physical modeling of the car and the handling dynamics. Because it's simulated, we have advantages over the real world like not having to wait for all that stuff. I think that's a good thing.

You give a little, you take a little. Consult your doctor, use as directed, opinions may vary.

Love,
Aero
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :You will be dissapointed with every single new patch the devs release for LFS. The game will be going further and further away from what you want. You can complain and call us fanboys as much as you want, but at the end of the day its your own fault that you bought LFS thinking it was something it is not. I think your problem is that you realise this now, and your unhappy that you spent £24 on S2.

Thank you for a well reasoned post. I'm sure you didn't read one of my posts in which I say that I LOVE this game. It is the best I have found so far.

That said, I'm not married to it, nor is easy for me to become a fan (of anything man made, but that's beyond the reach of this thread). I like to ask for things the way I like them, and I like to argue with others about it.

In resume, I do love LFS but that doesn't mean I should like every bit of it nor that I should applaud blindly everything that the developers do with it.
-
(Bodhidharmazen) DELETED by Bodhidharmazen
Quote from AeroMechanical :If you're after unrelenting realism in every aspect of racing. You really ought be playing NetkarPro... it has a hardcore mode where you have to wait while your car is towed back to the pits, you have to wait while your mechanics repair damage, you have to wait while your mechanics implement your setup changes.

Yes, that is realistic, but I think it's taking things a little too far personally. Some people swear by it though, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic sim, but as far as I'm concerned the only thing that really matters is the physical modeling of the car and the handling dynamics. Because it's simulated, we have advantages over the real world like not having to wait for all that stuff. I think that's a good thing.

You give a little, you take a little. Consult your doctor, use as directed, opinions may vary.

Love,
Aero

Thanks, good post. I believe that, in the end, its all matter of personal preferences, and thats ok!!! But I confess that I get pissed of when some people start to insult anyone who does not think EXACTLY as they do. What can I do... I'm against "fanboyism"

I will have to look at that game, if the physics are as good as in here I might find it appealing.
Oh I largely agree with you. I think there should be options for these sorts of things (as I'm sure you're aware, NKP has the option to disable that) and I am in total agreement that we should be expressing our opinions good or bad for the sake of the development of LFS because it is an alpha and unfinished.

Of course, it's going to turn out the way it turns out. It's obviously in some sort of in-between state right now so it's sort of hard to tell what kind of simulator it is. How realistic is it going to get? Personally I don't want it to go as far as NKP if there aren't going to be options to customize the level of realism we want per server.

I like the new gearbox, it's not perfect but it's a lot more realistic than it was. I'm indifferent about the digital gauges because I prefer the analogue variety but I don't see the harm in having them. I also don't think there is anything wrong with driving aids necessarily, so long as they can be disabled on the server. Ideally I'd like the GPL style 'fudged advantage' with the aids as well. (I think I've said all this before.)

Basically, I'm in favor of options. Of course, LFS isn't done yet though so maybe we will have these options in the future. It is true that the intended way to play it is without any of these things, so I can understand that path taking priority at the moment.

I don't see why people are getting so upset though- other than because other people are pissing them off. It'll all work out. One way or another.

Love,
Aero

ed: Oh, the physics in NKP are phenomenal it's just got a lot of other problems. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it at the moment. Wait and see what happens with the 1.03 patch. It is, of course, very, very late in coming though. Try the demo and see what you think though.
I also have a Logitech Momo(red) sequential. Since patch Y using a button for clutch is about as gay as Tom Jones in a tootoo. I didn't expect this day to come to be honest because the options for blip & lift have always been there and is all that is really needed for people with sequential wheels(without a clutch pedal) to keep racing at their full potential. I would really find it hard to believe any vehicle fitted with a sequential gear shifter would need significant lift or blip from the driver anyway?

I'm sure the clutch mechanism for H padders and sequential can be compromised, instead of forcing everyone into buying a H pad.

Please understand I want this to be as REALISTIC as possible like everyone else here, I'm sure. But a balance would be greatly appreciated from the lesser ones like me who can't live the FULL SIMULATION DREAM.
You really don't need a clutch to lift or blip, that's all done with the accelerator anyways. I use a sequential and it's no problem at all- I do have a clutch pedal, but that isn't necessary with autoclutch enabled nor is it necessary for cars that actually have sequential shifters. Lifting and blipping is pretty important in the real world so it fits in fine with the sim.

You'll get used to it soon enough- it'll be second-nature before you know it. They way I think about it is as if I were selecting the gear with my sequential and actually initiating the change with my foot on the pedal either lifting or blipping. It takes a bit of practice to get the rhythm down, but you'll never have to learn it again after that.

All you have to do is turn auto-clutch on and you're good to go- that takes care of the clutch pedal for you.

Love,
Aero

ed: I use the pedalset from a Logitech Formula GP (yellow) as the clutch pedal. You can buy these new online for $20US and I bet you could find an even better deal used. No need to buy a G25 or a gated shifter and no need to have a clutch pedal at all if you're willing to enable autoclutch.

To change up, just lift off the throttle (completely at first, but you'll find that isn't necessary as you get better) hit whatever control you use to up-shift and put your foot back down again.

To downshift, just give the throttle a quick jab right as, or very slightly before, you're hitting your down-shift control.

I think you'll find that once you've mastered this (which will probably only take an hour or so) it makes the driving experience much more engaging and immersive. Just start slowly and methodically and work your way up.
im disapointed with the patch, all the stuff planed for this patch was put aside to make a POS open wheeler that has noplace in lfs, there already is a low powered open weeler

so because bmw said to, you made another car and didnt fix anything that really needed fixing, the clutch is ok for the road cars, but the open wheelers and GTr's it burns out to quick imo. the tires should last longer not less

MAJOR disappointment.
(343 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG