The online racing simulator
LFS Server Remote Control development
Hello guys !
some time ago, i started to develop a advanced "FREE & PUBLIC" remote control for all LFS versions. I attached 3 pics of my latest development in this thread.All is working fine but i don´t know how to dev a good "user account system" with permission rights for the remote access to my server app. Are there some guys who want to work on that projekt with me ? i´m also happy gettin some good tips for the user account problem (account managment,connection and password encryption and so on..........)

Thanx in advance !
it will be possible upload layouts??
Quote from El_TaxMaN :it will be possible upload layouts??

sorry, but i don´t know exactly what you mean. The App is written on Borland C-Builder 6 (C++)
he means can you upload .lyt files to the dedicated server.
Layout files store information on autocross tracks, that people make on thr circuits or in the car park.
Sure,thats possible ! we could send files via a file- or memory stream through the tcp socket.
Just a question, does this require that you run an application on the same server as the game server, as well as running a client on your local PC? Or does this use InSim?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Just a question, does this require that you run an application on the same server as the game server, as well as running a client on your local PC?

Yes, the server app uses insim

Client <------>
Client <----bad bad inet-----> ServerApp <-----> Insim
Client <------>

The pics above showing the server app. the client is still in development
is something wrong with my idea ?

the server app has the same insim functions like the client, it´s a bit misleading
I'm obviously not quite following, I'm assuming you mean this:
LFS Game Server <-- Internet --> Your Client App (connecting via InSim)

Or do you mean:
LFS Game Server <-> Your Server App (connecting via InSim) <-- Internet --> Your Client App (connecting to "Your Server App", via some other protocol)

Just wanna get it right Either way its fine, I'm just interested
Quote from the_angry_angel :
Or do you mean:
LFS Game Server <-> Your Server App (connecting via InSim) <-- Internet --> Your Client App (connecting to "Your Server App", via some other protocol)

Yes, thats it !
Ah right, got it In that case an accounts system shouldnt be too difficult. Your Server App just needs to have a "database" of information, including username and password. The Server App then checks every time a new connection is made. This way you can have controlling accounts without having to have the servers exact InSim, or admin password, details.

:up: Nice one dude

Edit:
Out of interest, which language is it in?
Quote from the_angry_angel :This way you can have controlling accounts without having to have the servers exact InSim, or admin password, details.

The App is written in C++ with Borland C-Builder 6. First i thought to create an encrypted file with permission flags and user password for each account. this file is named by the user name or we generate one file with all users included. A database solution like sql is too much for this usage and requires more on the root server. Please look at my attached pic. The pic shows the account generating form
Hey, i wrote the server sided user account managment tonight (my first try! :tired:, don´t shoot at me please ). All user account data are stored in an encrypted (self made encryption) "<account>.db" file. Ok so far, but what do you think about the user account validation when a client connects ? i have some ideas but i´m always searching for "better" solutions. any ideas ?
To be honest, for client authentication, I'd make a hash of the password, and then make a hash on the sever side, and then compare them. That way you arent sending it over plain text, but you still have auth

As for the GUI it looks good
Quote from JogDive :Hey, i wrote the server sided user account managment tonight (my first try! :tired:, don´t shoot at me please ). All user account data are stored in an encrypted (self made encryption) "<account>.db" file. Ok so far, but what do you think about the user account validation when a client connects ? i have some ideas but i´m always searching for "better" solutions. any ideas ?

Is the encryption reversible?
Quote from Dygear :Is the encryption reversible?

By definition encryption is reversible. Otherwise its a hash.
-
(JogDive) DELETED by JogDive : none
-
(JogDive) DELETED by JogDive
To be honest, I've never used SSL. I assume you're using your own certificate? Out of interest, which library did you use for SSL?
Open SSL by the indy Project. I use SSL as an intercept of my TCP Server Sock. I generated a private und public key set but i´m not sure to use them. better not
Giving the user the ability to import their own certification could be interesting....that said is SSL really worth it. Perhaps not?
Quote from the_angry_angel :By definition encryption is reversible. Otherwise its a hash.

Thanks I can never rember which ones which.
-
(JogDive) DELETED by JogDive : Update
-
(JogDive) DELETED by JogDive : Update
-
(JogDive) DELETED by JogDive : Old
me is nearly finished too.

Please have a look at my first stable beta:
Attached images
LFS Manager.jpg
Das sieht sehr vielversprechend aus ...
oops, accidently wrote in german .

Want to say that the screenshot looks very promising so far...
#24 - shim
would like to test either JogDive's or Crazy's server admin.. cause me team is always wantin me to change me config for em.. but couldnt find a DL link for either
demo version will be available soon
i'm currently testing...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG