The online racing simulator
Super Aguri gone bankrupt
(52 posts, started )
From autosport.com

Quote :Super Aguri have withdrawn from the Formula One world championship with immediate effect, the team announced on Tuesday. After weeks of speculation about their future following the collapse of a proposed takeover by the Magma Group, a last-minute rescue package by German automotive company Weigl Group was not good enough to keep them racing.

Team principal Aguri Suzuki is understood to have met with the Honda board in Japan on Tuesday, but the outcome of that meeting was that the team will no longer be racing.

"In order to realise my dream to become an owner of a Formula One team, I applied for a grid position in the FIA Formula One World Championship in November 2005," said Suzuki in a statement issued by the team. "Since then, I have participated in the championship for two years and four months as the Super Aguri F1 Team, but regretfully I must inform you that the team will cease their racing activities as of today."

Suzuki made it clear that the current difficulties for the team were caused by the non-payment of major sponsor SS United last year, which put the team on the back foot regarding their financial situation.

"The team competed against the many car manufacturer-backed teams and have succeeded in obtaining the first points after only the 22nd race finishing in ninth place overall in the 2007 constructors' championship.

"However, the breach of contract by the promised partner SS United Oil & Gas Company resulted in the loss of financial backing and immediately put the team into financial difficulties. Also, the change in direction of the environment surrounding the team, in terms of the use of customer chassis, has affected our ability to find partners.

"Meanwhile, with the help of Honda, we have somehow managed to keep the team going, but we find it difficult to establish a way to continue the activities in the future within the environment surrounding F1 and as a result, I have concluded to withdraw from the championship.

"I would like to express my deepest thanks to Honda, Bridgestone, the sponsors, all the people who have given us advise during various situations over the past couple of years all the Team Staff who have kept their motivations high and always done their best, Anthony Davidson who has always pushed to the limit despite the very difficult conditions, Takuma Sato who has been with us from the very start and has always fought hard and led the team and lastly our fans from all over the world who have loyally supported the Super Aguri F1 Team."

Super Aguri made their debut in 2006, having been formed with assistance from Honda in a bid to keep Takuma Sato in F1. They scored their first world championship points at the 2007 Spanish Grand Prix, and finished ninth in last year's constructors' championship.

The team's withdrawal leaves F1 with only 10 teams now, with the grid originally having supposed to have had 12 outfits at the start of this year before the collapse of Prodrive's entry.

#2 - JJ72
what a pity, I think this is not going to the the ultimate end.
Its a sad day for F1, easily one of the most exiting teams on the grid. The one moment i think the team will be best remmbered from would be the canadian GP '07 when Sato passed Alonso with a much inferior car.
F1 going down the tube... so what else is new?
What a shame to see that a team as Super Aguri no longer part is of the F1 circus, and as said above me, that action from Sato at Canada07
Not surprised. Well, a little surprised they lasted more than a year. But I wasn't expecting any team that exists solely to keep a mediocre Japanese racing driver in F1 to last very long.

They won't be missed. Hopefully a sensible team that builds their own cars and actually employs drivers based on their skill rather than to keep some fans happy (Tony will get a drive elsewhere I'm sure).
it sad to see such a great team to leave F1 after what they have achieved last year. and to me SA is prob one of the best team on the grid in terms of racing spirits.

Hope Sato and A.Davidson can find another race seat next year. actually i wouldnt be surprise if Toyota would pick Sato up to replace Trulli.
but yeah Davidson deserves a better car to show his talent. all he needs is luck. prob the most important factor as a driver in F1
Awww... I Liked Super Aguri
#9 - samjh
Super Aguri were phenomenal despite their pea-sized budget. Very sad to see a giant-killer leaving F1.

As for Takuma Sato, he's no worse than half the F1 grid; same with Anthony Davidson. They'll both manage to find some good drives in the future, even if they leave F1 forever. No one can ignore "Formula One" in someone's racing CV!
Quote from tristancliffe :Not surprised. Well, a little surprised they lasted more than a year. But I wasn't expecting any team that exists solely to keep a mediocre Japanese racing driver in F1 to last very long.

They won't be missed. Hopefully a sensible team that builds their own cars and actually employs drivers based on their skill rather than to keep some fans happy (Tony will get a drive elsewhere I'm sure).

I think that was the plan at the start but you can't say Sato has been rubbish since day 1, he has got them every point they have gotten.
i rate Davidson pretty high. he could have score a point or two last year in canada if he didnt hit an animal.
about Sato, he is quick and i dont think he is that car wrecker anymore. he has grown up alot and im sure they wont be any slower than Glock or Fisi.
I cant say im suprised but its a lose.
I think that it is Honda want to kill Super Aguri
Honda said Super Aguri should make money by themselves
now, the can do it, but Honda don't let them to take the money...
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :it sad to see such a great team to leave F1 after what they have achieved last year. and to me SA is prob one of the best team on the grid in terms of racing spirits.

Hope Sato and A.Davidson can find another race seat next year. actually i wouldnt be surprise if Toyota would pick Sato up to replace Trulli.
but yeah Davidson deserves a better car to show his talent. all he needs is luck. prob the most important factor as a driver in F1

What is with people and saying the better more experienced drivers are rubbish, like first it was Heidfeld now Trulli, whos next?
I say Sato to honda(if they will forgive him for '05) and Davidson to replace Piquet as he is rubbish.
Quote from Mustafur :What is with people and saying the better more experienced drivers are rubbish, like first it was Heidfeld now Trulli, whos next?

no im not saying Trulli is rubbish.
but Sato is japanese.
Toyota is a japanese manufacturer.
can you see why now?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :no im not saying Trulli is rubbish.
but Sato is japanese.
Toyota is a japanese manufacturer.
can you see why now?

Sato has a fetish for honda though, like it can't be a coinsidence every car he has driven has had a Honda engine.
#18 - JJ72
Sato is supported by Honda. simple as that.

And it is not likely that a Honda driver can suddenly switch to Toyota, they both have their own driver training programme and there's a strong sense of loyalty.
Like its the same story with Nakajima with Toyota.
Quote from Mustafur :I say Sato to honda(if they will forgive him for '05) and Davidson to replace Piquet as he is rubbish.

Im sorry mate but would you do any better in your first season of F1? Not everyone is a Lewis Hamilton warm upto him it takes time the entire season is not decided within the first 4 races.
Quote from AstroBoy :Im sorry mate but would you do any better in your first season of F1? Not everyone is a Lewis Hamilton warm upto him it takes time the entire season is not decided within the first 4 races.

I know but Piquet is making way to much mistakes, compare him to Nakajima and Glock and hes clearly worse.
Quote from Mustafur :I know but Piquet is making way to much mistakes, compare him to Nakajima and Glock and hes clearly worse.

Not denying that, i belive that is true.
stupid bloody ecclestone!!! :mad:. I mean, seriously, he's asking for way too much money from teams now. I remember Eddie Jordan saying that Ron Dennis said back in '97 that he would need something like $70 million to be a competitive team to fight for the world championship and that, at the current time of the interview (which I think was '04), he said he's struggling with well over a $100 million, struggling!

I'm really sad to see Super Aguri go as they were a really cool team and gave us some very exciting racing.
Finally - there goes the source of many stale puns for greek F1 fans: "aguri" (αγγούρι) means "cucumber" in Greek. Super Cucumber no more.
A really big shame. Sato really looked to have matured to me and they both deserve a ride.

(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG