The online racing simulator
Grid - Official Topic
(155 posts, started )
i wanted to try this1,downloaded 2 times and cant open the zip files,it says something about xp sp2,i didnt rly check, deleted it
Deciding whether or not to use up some of my bandwidth to download this. Quite negative responses so far, which is disappointing.

Shouldn't be surprised really- the main hype around this game is that the gfx engine supports 40,000 or something spectators, who go wild whenever you do something slightly interesting.They're not really pushing the driving physics at all.
Quote from Riders Motion :So tell me guys - should I spend the night downloading the demo or not? I'm only in for the drifting mode anyways, I like the cars and the damage physics. As long as the drifting isn't as bad as NFS:PS, I think I'll download it.

The drifting part of the demo, imo, is pretty freaking good tbh. Dunno about realistic physics but it's very enjoyable and the replays look sick
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :For all you know, he could have meant very gentle turns. You seem to be defending this game alot so you obviously like it...most likely due to the fact that you can doriftooooooo cars that seem cool to you, which is normal considering your age.

No, I didn't mean gentle turns
Played the other modes, they're very arcadey. Which is disappointing considering RD2 was relatively decent IIRC. Never played RD3.
Downloaded the demo, was late at night so only tried drift mode:

Pros:
- Even though I have set gfx to LOW it really does look very impressive.
- At times drifting even feels a little bit realistic, but it doesn't matter because.. Well that in the cons later.
- It is possible to spin out in drift mode, which is quite a suprise.
- Sounds and crashes are nice. It's also sweet that surroundings crash too.

Cons:
- The car is basicall swimming on the road. There is really no sense of a proper grip, it just swims on road and turns around some center point. It only feels like there is some grip when drifting(As when actually being in drift). And they even get some things right at times, but most of the time it just feels weird.
- ForceFeedback is pretty much SHIT. I thought - ok, beginning the drift, steering wheel is going to countersteer, but no - nothing happens. Basically FFB is just resistance. There is absolutely NO REALISM to it.
- It feels more realistic when playing on kb than it is when playing on a steering wheel.
- Drift mode scoring sucks. I think it doesn't even score the last sector of the course.

Summing it up: I really don't like when developers put some realistic aspects in the game and mix it up with totally arcadey feel and aspects. It really is very annoying when car does behave wrong. I expect something realistic to happen, then something completly wrong happens making the car totally unpredictable. And it is prooven that arcade games can have car behabiour more or less realistic. Then arcade games are much better imo. To me arcade driving game should be basically a game with physics that are realistic, but that are tweaked down so they are not too hard and fun for casual gamers.

I do not recommend the game, unless someone wants to learn new physics that work only on Codemasters planet or maybe crash the cars around.
Gave the demo a go earlier today. Now anyone who's read my posts about DiRtTtTtT will know how I feel about Codemasters current attempts, and obviously this is hardly any different.

However it was quite fun to go online with only a 30 second wait and get straight into racing/wrecking - because the damage is again, good.
Some fixes , and:
Quote:If you copy the jarama track folder to the japan track folder and rename it to yokohama_docks, you can drift around jarama with the nissan. The original yokohama track folder must be renamed (for example yokohama_docks1).

The same with the san francisco track for a race with the BMW. Just copy the san_fran folder to europe/jarama and rename it to jarama. Original jarama folder must be renamed.
Attached images
grid_no_postproces.jpg
Attached files
postprocess_off.zip - 53.4 KB - 154 views
I've just had a crack at it for an hour or so. All aids off, got straight into cockpit mode and tried my luck on the first track. First few tries resulted in last place because I was finding driving with the keys to be an absolute nightmare (especially when using the brake, as the game translated every tiny tap into a massive foot stomping). Fared no better on the drift event- more frustration, car absolutely non-controllable. By this point my opinion on the game was running fairly low to be sure. I guess sucking at the game doesn't do much for favourable opinions.

Almost quit out, and then decided to try out the last event (another city track). To be honest I had quite a bit of fun here. I also began to see how well developed the object and damage physics are. At one point I smashed into a tire barrier- the tires went everywhere, bouncing and falling about realistically. One landed on my windshield- I took off, the tire just came along for the ride! I made a turn and the tire was sucked off the bonnet. That was really impressive.

The city's very well modeled and textured (come-on SO ), and there are nice touches like people walking over bridges and fans leaning out over the barriers in some strange hope of snapping their arms off as your car comes past I suppose. The replays are quite hollywood- it's all shot to look like some action packed car chase. The pumping techno music is annoying but I guess plenty of hormone enriched teens will get a kick out of it. There is too much of the bloom effect, reminds me of the screenshots of DIRT, only not quite as extreme.

Yeah, it's very arcade. If you treat it more as a smash 'em up instead of a racing game it's a bit of fun. Might be decent online with some friends. It certainly beats NFS.
First thoughts after 10mins of fidling.. i cant set up my g25 to feel even a little like a wheel in the game xD Havent tried with kb yet.. but now its like playing with keyboard, but im turning a wheel thingy xD .. And no i did not enjoy it.. and couldnt even take corners slowly :P
Played the drifting mode yesterday.Pretty good and spinning a lot when starting and not careful first time you play it.Scoring could have been better.I didn't tryed NFS:PS drifting but GRID looks better(based on what I saw of NFS in video).Drifting is not easy as you think in this game.

Multiplayer is kinda bad ATM(yes,it's only a demo).I just did a race online with 11 other guys and at the start...good luck.People will just ram you as hard as they can to get in front or simply push you in the sand trap at the first corner.Worst track to go online is the city one(forgot the name) because people will just get on the inside & turn with the help of your car.
I gave it a go too after three hours of download. I quite like the cockpits and all, the drifting is OK, but perfect but to be honest it pwns any Need For Speed drift mode. My FPS was a tad low but I'm runing 1280x1024 @ 8x AA + 16x AF on a 7600GT so I couldn't complaint about that. The graphics are awesome, much better than NFS. I don't know if it will be possible to modify the cars like in Forza and NFS but if it is, I can say that Forza & GRID will probably be in the same category of games. That's just my opinion, put it where you want but don't turn this thread into a flame war.
im just curious... what did you guys play it with xD keyboard or wheel ? cauz i cant seem to get the wheel settings right.. to even slightly feel the car xD
I use G25 at 540 degrees with FF turned off.
The game creators don't possibly know about existence of such thing as understeer so geting into a corner with wheels turned maximaly to the corner direction is the best way to turn - which is impossible to do fast with FF on.
Well, getting the demo. Gunna take 2 hrs and a half almost but meh. Hopefully ill enjoy it half a day at least.
hmm FF was on.. but i didnt feel any bumps or jumps or anything o_0
540 il ltry that .. cauz what im saying is.. the wheel feels like a keyboard xD
Downloaded the demo in 30 minutes, really happy to play (i thought).
after i installed it, the main menu already was doing weird, and when i played it, the buildings, barriers everything, just were chacking, moving, doing weird, and i couldn't see the road & cornors

it just pissed me off.
and i meet the specs.
Newest gxf card driver.
Idea's?

400th post

~Bose
Quote from evilgenius :hmm FF was on.. but i didnt feel any bumps or jumps or anything o_0
540 il ltry that .. cauz what im saying is.. the wheel feels like a keyboard xD

Was FF on in the game as wel? Because it's off on default (don't know why, maybe because they expect people to have old cheap wheels).
Bose, if you have an ATI card, maybe you're having the same problem this guy is..

http://community.codemasters.c ... m/showthread.php?t=279463

Quote :You have to roll back your drivers to 8.2 - there is a fix in the works when ATI release their next set of drivers, which I believe it within a couple of weeks.

No FF was on in the game... The wheel was light and i didnt feel anything.. profiler is 5.02 .. well whatever its a demo :P
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AzD-ySCKQ8g here is how well i fared xD not well you can see ;P (i suck @ cutting...)
#98 - aoun
Quote from Shotglass :gosh it looks horrible

Your either blind or trying to be cool being the black sheep.

Graphics look great, but i doubt it would be good gameplay. Have to wait and see
The gameplay is good fun, it just isn't realistic. Which was deliberate so take it for what it is and it's entertaining.
Quote from aoun :Your either blind or trying to be cool being the black sheep.

You tell me that is anywhere close to what you see with your eyes and I recommend you to go to an eye doctor... no, make that an eye surgeon...

Grid - Official Topic
(155 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG