The online racing simulator
Bumping and boring
(36 posts, started )
Bumping and boring
I've improved my lap times on BL rally over the last few months. I have also learned to cope with the first bend carnage. I often emerge from the first bend well-placed. However, I'm sometimes not the fastest driver on the track, and the advantage I have gained is sometimes lost later on. I'm finding, increasingly, that faster drivers are forcing their way past by bumping, nudging, or sideswiping, rather than waiting for an opportunity to pass cleanly. I've been told today that it's rally and I should expect it(!), and I've even been told to "respect the speed" of a faster driver, when all I am doing is defending my position. There is surely more to racing than simply driving fast, bullying others out of the way and forcing a way past?
could you upload an mpr with good examples of this? or a youtube vid? if you upload an mpr, tell us what time to fastforward to.
You do sometimes get collisions and bumps in rallycross but there is no reason to hit someone out of the way on purpose.
Quote from Wolfgang Amadeus :I've been told today that it's rally and I should expect it(!), and I've even been told to "respect the speed" of a faster driver, when all I am doing is defending my position.

The person who said that is an idiot.
Quote from Wolfgang Amadeus :I've improved my lap times on BL rally over the last few months. I have also learned to cope with the first bend carnage. I often emerge from the first bend well-placed. However, I'm sometimes not the fastest driver on the track, and the advantage I have gained is sometimes lost later on. I'm finding, increasingly, that faster drivers are forcing their way past by bumping, nudging, or sideswiping, rather than waiting for an opportunity to pass cleanly. I've been told today that it's rally and I should expect it(!), and I've even been told to "respect the speed" of a faster driver, when all I am doing is defending my position. There is surely more to racing than simply driving fast, bullying others out of the way and forcing a way past?

Sounds like the usual excuse to me. I'm betting the person that said that will behave in exactly the same way on tarmac. Far too many people with this attitude in LFS unfortunately. They seem to think that being fast gives them a god given right to pass you and win. They're usually the ones that say "its just a game" too. I sometimes wonder if any of these people have ever watched racing on TV let alone actually ever driven a car.

Oh and yes, there is a lot more to racing than just driving fast. Look at how many guys in F1, (and other motorsports), are capable of setting fast times in qualifying. Then when it comes to the race and being conistant etc they drop right down the field.

Edited to add - The sport their talking about is stock car racing NOT rally. The only motorsport where contact is allowed is stock car racing. All other forms of motorsport are strictly non contact. Although of course the occasional mild bump does occur but it's not condoned in any way.
Quote from gezmoor :Sounds like the usual excuse to me. I'm betting the person that said that will behave in exactly the same way on tarmac. Far too many people with this attitude in LFS unfortunately. They seem to think that being fast gives them a god given right to pass you and win. They're usually the ones that say "its just a game" too. I sometimes wonder if any of these people have ever watched racing on TV let alone actually ever driven a car.

Oh and yes, there is a lot more to racing than just driving fast. Look at how many guys in F1, (and other motorsports), are capable of setting fast times in qualifying. Then when it comes to the race and being conistant etc they drop right down the field.

Edited to add - The sport their talking about is stock car racing NOT rally. The only motorsport where contact is allowed is stock car racing. All other forms of motorsport are strictly non contact. Although of course the occasional mild bump does occur but it's not condoned in any way.

You're rigtht to the bone
Quote from Wolfgang Amadeus :I've even been told to "respect the speed" of a faster driver

I'll bet that this "rule" does not apply when they happen to be the slower driver...
Quote from Gills4life :You do sometimes get collisions and bumps in rallycross but there is no reason to hit someone out of the way on purpose.

I like rallycross. I don't generally like playing rallycross on public servers though.

It seems that many drivers on rallycross servers have so much trouble keeping their car on the track they forget to use the brakes completely! I can understand a few nudges here and a few bumps there but it's not like that - people just simply do not brake if you're anywhere near in front of them.

It should be like you said, but isn't. I don't know what could we do about the attitude and style of driving of people, since most of the public rallycross servers I've been on are dedicated ones and the admins aren't around / do not care if people drive recklessly.

:arge:
Quote from gezmoor :Sounds like the usual excuse to me. I'm betting the person that said that will behave in exactly the same way on tarmac. Far too many people with this attitude in LFS unfortunately. They seem to think that being fast gives them a god given right to pass you and win. They're usually the ones that say "its just a game" too. I sometimes wonder if any of these people have ever watched racing on TV let alone actually ever driven a car.

Totally agree with that, I've been taken out during qualifying by quicker drivers and then blamed because I didn't move out of the way mid- turn even though I was on qualifying lap myself.
Quote from gezmoor :

I wouldn't say that contact is "allowed"; tolerated is a more the appropriate word.
Are you guys on demo servers? That's where I've noticed these kind of attitudes.
Or is it a rallycross thing?
Quote from gezmoor :Sounds like the usual excuse to me. I'm betting the person that said that will behave in exactly the same way on tarmac.

try me! As far as I know while tarmac races are almost strictly non-contact (we have weekend in Pau approaching ),
Quote :The sport their talking about is stock car racing NOT rally. The only motorsport where contact is allowed is stock car racing. All other forms of motorsport are strictly non contact. Although of course the occasional mild bump does occur but it's not condoned in any way.

RLX races are bit different to stock car racing. They have the condition of safety: the overtaken cant block but may choose his line, the overtaking cannot take manouver "that is not safe" - crossing the line of the overtaken, pushing inside the curb and the car. "The safe" margin is in RLX quite wide - thats why it is up to the precedent to go in turn not being bumped - and going too wide while overtaking usually means loosing your position to one behind.
Quote from Huru-aito :I like rallycross. I don't generally like playing rallycross on public servers though.

It seems that many drivers on rallycross servers have so much trouble keeping their car on the track they forget to use the brakes completely! I can understand a few nudges here and a few bumps there but it's not like that - people just simply do not brake if you're anywhere near in front of them.

It should be like you said, but isn't. I don't know what could we do about the attitude and style of driving of people, since most of the public rallycross servers I've been on are dedicated ones and the admins aren't around / do not care if people drive recklessly.

:arge:

I prefer rally without the X then atleast you don't have some fool who should be on singleplayer learning how to drive ramming your ass. I think the problem is that people do not take the rallycross on LFS seriously. If someone could make a CTRA equivalent for rallycross then maybe people will appreciate that being an **** and smashing someone out of the way is just as annoying as it is on any other racing server like Cone Dodgers, Redline or CTRA.

Rant discontinued until further notice
People need to learn how to drive on gravel in real life. That helps in LFS.
We have 1 simple rule (amongst others). And that is if you intentionally hit someone you get a warning. If you continue to hit other drivers to get past you get kicked. If you come back and continue this attitude you get banned. Doesn't matter what track we are racing on.

People these days seem to be in a hurry to get nowhere. Doesn't matter if it's on LFS or in RL.
spot on. in real life you would avoid hitting someone at all costs. all these people that nudge and bump their way through just spoils the realism for themselves and more importantly for others.

i think i will give proracingserver a lookin.
Wolfgang, did you collect your souvenir up from the Blackwood Gift Shop?

See attached file, and bung it on your skin.
Attached images
BL2 bumped.png
Quote from beefyman666 :Wolfgang, did you collect your souvenir up from the Blackwood Gift Shop?

:ices_rofl I'm gonna stick that on ma BnJ skin, if you don't mind
Do as you please with it.
hah you have a BJ skin ! oh wait there is an "n" .. that ruins everything :flamed:
Quote from beefyman666 :Wolfgang, did you collect your souvenir up from the Blackwood Gift Shop?

Love it, thanks.
fussy person

Bumping and boring
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG