The online racing simulator
Replacing an ATI Radeon 2400XT
(8 posts, started )
I own an Acer Travelmate 5720G laptop, which is the computer I run games on most of the time. The GPU is fairly gogod, with 256mb of dedicated memory. However I want to buy a big widescreen monitor to attach to the laptop, so I want a better graphics card. I am aware from other threads that I have read here that replacing a laptop graphics card is very difficult, because there aren't many compatible GPUs for a single laptop and they can often be hidden by other components.

I'm asking here before anywhere else, because maybe by chance one of you guys knows things about an Acer Travelmate.
#2 - Jakg
Unless your laptop has an "MXM" slot then you are screwed - the graphics cards on laptops are usually soldered onto the mobo.

Asus have sort of worked on an external GPU for laptops but i've yet to see any real hope of it ever being usable.
Quote from Jakg :Unless your laptop has an "MXM" slot then you are screwed - the graphics cards on laptops are usually soldered onto the mobo.

Asus have sort of worked on an external GPU for laptops but i've yet to see any real hope of it ever being usable.

Damn, I was hoping since I read the thread about MXM (posted last November) that something new had come along. Apparently not. Thanks for the information though!
#4 - Jakg
I could be wrong - but I doubt it's possible to upgrade the integrated GPU (or CPU usually too) "on the cheap" in the same way you might with a desktop.
Quote from Jakg :I could be wrong - but I doubt it's possible to upgrade the integrated GPU (or CPU usually too) "on the cheap" in the same way you might with a desktop.

I don't think it's an intergrated GPU, but I will find out....
My PC says that its "location" is: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

I have no idea what that means.

Edit: I did some googling and found that it's running in PCI mode, which apparently is not the optimum mode to run in.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from Mp3 Astra :I don't think it's an intergrated GPU, but I will find out....

I think it's integrated in the sense that it's soldered to the board, but it does have it's own dedicated GPU, RAM etc.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :Edit: I did some googling and found that it's running in PCI mode, which apparently is not the optimum mode to run in.

do more googling and more reading, then.

in the meantime, drop resolutions disable AA and enjoy your games.

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG