The online racing simulator
Aopen AK77-600GN + 8xAGP
(14 posts, started )
Aopen AK77-600GN + 8xAGP
Has anybody got this motherboard, and a x8 AGP card, that they can run at x8agp.

When I run DXDIAG tests, all OK, but as soon as I start LFS, I get triangles and strange artifacts on the screen. I drop to x4 AGP and everything works OK.

I have done a fresh install of OS, then the 4in1 drivers, then the AGP3.0 driver, then the GFX Drivers. Also running a 400w PSU.

Total PC specs are:

Semp 3000
1.5gb DDR 400
160gb SATA
Onboard Sound
1x DVD/CDRW Drive
Nvidia FX5500 256mb
PS2 Mouse, Ps2 Keyboard
USB - Momo
Onboard Lan.
3xFans ( Front, Back & Side )

So I cannot see it being the PSU? Any thoughts

Regards

Fordie

OH PS - I have tried 4 different Versions of Drivers also
Try upgrading, or downgrading the bios Fordie. You'll probably find a fix.

Edit: Out of interest, what psu is it? I should beable to find out some specs and run it through a psu calculator to see if its coping...
HI Angry. Thx for your reply. The "no reply" on aopen's website sort of tells me there is no fix.

I had to upgrade Bios, so Semp was recognised, so there is no going back. This is no more updates also. Make? not sure. Wasn't an expensive one, I just know its 400W ( checked last night )

Thanks

Fordie
I've just done some quick research, and the problem seems to be linked with the VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

Try uninstalling them, putting the card backup to 8x and see if it does it - I'll eat my hat if it does!
dont know if that will help or if you know the site, but you can get all sorts of via drivers here: http://www.viaarena.com
I was told the problem was due to me NOT having the 4in1 drivers illepall Also found the same issue on Aopen site, where if you chance the bus speed from 166 to 129 it fixes it as well.

I will try yours Angry, but not getting my hopes up here, but worth a try, and if lowering the bus speed is the only fix to get x8 agp, I think I will live with x4agp and higher bus speed

Thanks

Shaun
Well I tried removing 4in1, nadda. I tried dropping the bios, and manually setting it, nadda, so I guess I will just have to accept 4xagp
and o/c cpu to 2.1ghz

Begger's can't be choosers

Thanks for all your advise

Fordie
Damn.....guess I'll have to eat my hat..

I'll see if i can come up with anything else that may solve it, but it seems like you've got plenty of google time under your belt for this problem already
Google time, Aopen Time, MSN Time, Yahoo time, even Here time Been to them all.

Thanks again for your help, but even Aopen are struggling for an answer

Fordie
I have a solution for you shaun, read my sig...

But tell me what display drivers you are using? what via you are using, and have you set up the mb bios for agp as well...
Just because you have a 400w PSU, it doesn't mean it's a good one.

Alot of people will go out and buy really great computers, end up buying a Q-Tec (cheap and nasty PSU's) just because they're 500w or whatever, and then have problems later on from the PSU damaging components.
have you overclocked your graphics card? because if so that causes artifacting and so forth. but if you haven't i have no ideas
Thanks for all your suggestions, but now evern Aopen are scratching heads. I have actually taking the gfx card to a friends, and it works perfectly. I have even brought a 500W psu, and sill no different.

Aopen said, go back to previous bios update, which in turn doesnt find my sata or Semperon CPU. And yes u guess it, it made blind shit bit of difference.

So after installing, reinstalling, and reconfiguring all these drivers, I have settled for 4x AGP, but have been able to OC CPU and GPU. So actually the speed I am getting is higher than what i would get with 8x AGP. If you actually do a search, there is little diff between 4x and 8xagp in gaming, so I don;t mind that.

Thanks anyway

fordie
I know that some old Voodoo cars required to get more voltage in order to run with the fastest AGP frequency, but it's absolutely not a good idea to increase the voltage as it doesnt give you more oc performance, but the card will get (quite a lot) hotter.
I guess it't realy the best idea to stay at AGP 4x

Aopen AK77-600GN + 8xAGP
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG