The online racing simulator
Reset/Return to pits?
(14 posts, started )
Reset/Return to pits?
What are the options in LFS for resetting the car when it gets stuck/damaged? Preferably something simpler than ESC, select pits, click on return to track?

Ideally I'm trying to sort something that can be mapped onto buttons on the controller without having to resort to keyboard/mouse.

Looks like Shift-S followed by Enter does it.

Any other options?
#2 - Lible
Pitting

SHIFT S ESCAPE
SHIFT S ENTER

Resetting

What ever you set it.
Thanks for that very speedy reply
Space is the default reset, and it's possible to map this onto a wheel button in LFS.
Kind of offtopic, or better said against topic
I have read somewhere that there will be a "NO RESET" option as a server setting for next patch. It's not in U20 dedi server yet though. Will this get included in V patch?

No arcadish things in LFS! ok ok, as an option, of course.
No arcadish things in LFS? Then why is tele-pitting the only option to get out of the sand?? I would love to see an option (make it server, whatever) that when a driver gets stuck, he can:

1) hit a button to return to the pits

2) leave the pits, maintaining previous status in the race

3) forced to sit for a set amount of time (simulating being removed from the sand)

4) allowed to rejoin the race, after the hold period and then a pit stop to repair any damage

Of course, all of this has to be set by server admins.

Getting stuck in sand is, while most of the time true to life, is really a turn-off in this simulation when it comes to long races.
It's not arcady to get stuck in sand, it's arcadey to telepit, and the poster above you said no to it!

1) Not realistic, but useful for 'fun' racing
2) No, I think returning to lap 1 is best tbh - if you want to keep your position/lap, then don't crash!
3) Racers retire when they crash - very rare a beached car is allowed to return to racing, although sometimes they are allowed to drive back to the pits
4) Don't understand it

Getting stuck in the sand IS a turn off in longer races, and the cure is to drive in such a manner that gets you to the end of the race. If we know we can get away with stuff, be it hitting kerbs or escaping from gravel traps, then we'll drive much less realistically - i.e. closer to 'the limit' all the time.

Other games have easily escapable gravel traps, and LFS shouldn't. Simple.
OK before I start let me say that everyone is entitled to their view and indeed the right to express it. So I have no problems with any of the above as such

However, for me the BIG thing about LFS is that is has been designed to be the best simulator out there – and for me despite the fact that it is not “finished” it has achieved that objective to a high level.

Consequently why the need to ANY option other than to take you out of the race and put you in the pits. From there you should have to start at the back of the running. This ability to go back out on the track is about the only single concession that one should get as it saves you having to hang around for a new race to start.

Short races give you little chance to redeem the position
Longer races – ok it’s hard but it can be done (depending on when you crash)

So to the bottom line – (my vote so to speak)

KEEP IT REAL and Long live LFS
Tristan, I believe Banshee meant those to be something that consecutively happens after resetting yourself when you get stuck in the sand. You reset and go through those steps in order to rejoin the race.

I like that idea of Banshee's. It's a fine line between being as realistic as possible and just plain being a waste of time. I don't race LFS as a profession, but for enjoyment. I want it as realistic as possible, but I also don't want to waste 50 minutes only to catch the sand and get stuck, therefore ending the fun for me. Let me get back on the track with penalty time of extracting my car from the sand and hopefully be able to finish the race running with some backmarkers.

The spacebar reset should be removed completely from online play. It is dangerous for those who are new and don't understand to be using, possibly resetting into the path of another racer. A few of the out-of-bounds resets also need to be looked at. In particular, the first hairpin at Aston National/North/GP. It will plop you right back into the middle of that turn.
Quote from tristancliffe :Getting stuck in the sand IS a turn off in longer races, and the cure is to drive in such a manner that gets you to the end of the race. If we know we can get away with stuff, be it hitting kerbs or escaping from gravel traps, then we'll drive much less realistically - i.e. closer to 'the limit' all the time.

And go to hell already with your "end of my fun" guys (not you personally mrodgers but all of us)! Almost every online multiplayer game is about this "fun" for winners in expense of less fun or sometimes even deep depression of losers. I admit it's not so great fun to be slower than all other racers or to have 1:10 kill/lose ratio in military games. But as I have heard (yeah not my own experience lol) guys who are too fast compared to others got no challenge and get bored after a while.
There is no light without the dark. I don't mind to retire from the race sometimes, especially if it was my own stupid mistake which send me on the sand. It's fair and I will try better next time. What's the problem?
Quote from RAYfighter :Kind of offtopic, or better said against topic
I have read somewhere that there will be a "NO RESET" option as a server setting for next patch. It's not in U20 dedi server yet though. Will this get included in V patch?

No arcadish things in LFS! ok ok, as an option, of course.

Well, I guess Scawen didn't get it working, because he added required strings for it after patch U18
I agree that the consequences of a crash are far too minor right now in LFS. You can reset your car, you can telepit, you can repair any damage during a pitstop, etc. Indeed, LFS, atleast on public servers, seems to be a more like "we hotlap together" instead of actual careful racing, where you don't give 100% all the time.

A good comparison is RBR, in my opinion. While it simulates a completely different kind of racing, the consequences of a crash shift the game pretty effectively from "hotlapping" to "risk control", atleast for the drivers that don't rally 25 hours a day. If you crash, there's a very high chance the car is totaled, and if you do that during a championship, the whole current rally is lost, giving your chances of winning a big hit.

Granted, circuit racing is a bit different than the more risky rallying, but the cars are really treated like single-use cans of metal (becaue they are) instead of a racecar you have to take care of. Crash on T1? No problem, Shift-S and continue. Had to evade T1 crash and got stuck in sand? No problem, Shif...

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, LFS now seems to be a bit in "debug" mode, where features like reset are very useful. I hope LFS will go through a big cleanup step before S2 final, making the whole race setup and management more realistic. A complete damage model would also help, but I guess I'm beating a dead horse with that
Quote from Lible :Well, I guess Scawen didn't get it working, because he added required strings for it after patch U18

Oh I will have to discuss this with Monkster then! I would love to deny use of reset for our upcoming InSim powered server. I thought there was no safe way to detect it. And even if there was, I don't want to penalize those who press it, I want to turn it off completely. Forced Shift+F mode would be great serverside option as well.

Quote from AndroidXP :"we hotlap together"

LMAO

Quote from AndroidXP :...the cars are really treated like single-use cans of metal (becaue they are) instead of a racecar you have to take care of. Crash on T1? No problem, Shift-S and continue. Had to evade T1 crash and got stuck in sand? No problem, Shif...

These are exactly reasons why I started the "take care of your car" gameplay idea. I am happy to say that thanks to mad InSim programming skills of LFSlapper author, Monk, and wast of suggestions and ideas from many more LFS players, we are finished and going to public within few weeks.
Space Bar is pretty useful if you end up on your roof or stuck in the gravel but don't want to pit.

Reset/Return to pits?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG