The online racing simulator
Looking to get a 8800GTX
(54 posts, started )
#26 - Jakg
The 320's tend to have higher clock speeds than the 640's, but unless i got the cheap 320 i'd MUCH rather get a 640 as games are using more and more and more memory - i dont think 320 will be enough tbh
I got P5N32-E SLI motherboard, and it is very similar to Striker Extreme, both superior gaming MB's.
Thing is, offcourse the P5K is cheaper, but this doesen't mean that it's bad, theyre good.
So, if you want good and cheaper board, get the P5K as said before, but if you have bigger budget, ahh choice is you!

Blah, pointless post from me..
Are Nvidia 8800 series as reliable as it's said? Because my team-mate just bought a 8800GTS and he can't record anything in FRAPS. During recording many many lines appear on the screen . Do you 8800 owners have similar problems like this? Just because I was planning to buy such a card
#30 - Jakg
The P5N32-SLi is a 680i motherboard, the P5K is a P35 board - big differences, and for me at least the 680i is a real bad choice as they not only tend to not be as good for overclocking, but so far i've yet to see a 680i get a decent overclock on a Quad core.

The Striker is purely for ePenis bragging - VERY few people use the extra features it has, and tbh all 3 motherboard will perform the same for gaming (except if you use SLi) and the £80 you save not getting the 680i lets you get a faster GFX card.

Plus, P5K people own! :P

EDIT - Toki, thats MUCH more likely to be a codec issue/something to do with whats installed than the GFX card. The 8800-series are a VERY nice set of cards, and so far the only "problem" was the first lot of GTX's had dodgy memory, but they were all recalled before they hit the shelves. TBH most graphics card's don't have instability issues, although something about dodgy capacitors on the 7900's when they first came out springs to mind...
Thanks for the info Jagk, I will tell it to my mate
Quote from Doorman :There's an American expression. "There's no substitute for cubic inches". Get the biggest you can afford.

I thought it was, "There's no replacement for displacement."
#34 - Jakg
Ew :X

I REALLY recommend getting an Intel CPU, a different motherboard, a GTS and a cheaper X-Fi - with the money you save on the GTX you could EASILY get a QUAD core.
I prefer AMD to Intel
What mobo do you recommend?

I dont really have a need for Quad core yet...
#36 - Jakg
I prefer AMD, too, but at the price they want for there CPU's compared to the Intel equivalents they're taking the piss. I only mentions Quad Core because i was trying to highlight how stupid it was - also i REALLY wouldn't get a GTX - the price/performance ratio is best on the GTS 640.

I'd look into either a used Xeon X3210 or an Intel E6550, an eVGA 8800GTS, a board like the eVGA 650i (although me being me i'd would (and did) pick up an Asus P5K because they overclock like mad. I wouldn't touch that CPU cooler with a barge pole - the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro/64 is MUCH better, quieter too. I'd also get the X-Fi Pro or whatever the next model down is, as the Fatal1ty has stupid gimicky X-Ram which does naff all. I'd also consider looking at the "Asus Sonar" if you want to spend that much on a Sound Card.

That CPU is quick and you wont be dissapointed, but if you went out and bought an M3 you wouldn't be dissapointed - but what if you could get a Ferrari F430 for the same cash?

I love AMD, and i still do, but i also love performance and if Intel offer me greater performance (which they do) while chucking out lower heat (the new AMD 6400 makes the SAME amount of heat as my QUAD core B3 when it's only got 2 cores!) then i REALLY can't complain.

If you'll be overclocking, let me know and i'll change my advice above, as with the cash you save on the GTX you could get some "interesting" results on an Core 2 Duo (ie 3 GHz plus *evil eyes*)
Why p5n32-e sli is bad for overcloking? My CPU is running 3,0 GHz now, just fine...
#38 - Jakg
For overclocking Quad Cores the 680 chipset is a bit naff....

FTR the P35 boards overclock better than the 680i's do
Jakg, I've decided to go for Intel.

This is the one I will go for.

I will stick with the 8800GTX.

I want to spend about £100 on a CPU, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your help so far, anyone got a job going?
#40 - Jakg
Why on EARTH would you get that CPU? For the same price you can get an E6850 (which is 3 GHz Dual Core) or the Q6600 G0 (What i'd get).

If you want to spend £100, you can't go wrong with an E6320/E6420

I just saw it and thought, that'll do

I will go with the one you suggested as you are in the know how.

Sorry, but my post before was a typo, I meant I was going to spend about £100 on a mobo.
#42 - Jakg
It's up to you on CPU, some people think Quad's are stupid, but imo for the .6 GHz you "loose" you gain 2 extra cores.

What features do you want on your mobo? What's your current memory? If i were you i'd get something with a P35 chipset.
This is what I'm running atm...

Motherboard - Abit NF-M2 nView nF430 Socket AM2

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ AM2

RAM – 2 x Kingston 1GB 667MHz DDR2

Gfx - ATi Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB

I plan on changing the mobo, CPU and GFX.

I have the GFX sorted. Rather a 8800GTX/GTS.

Jack, if given the money what CPU and mobo would you go for, I'm not worried about price-performance ratio.
#44 - Jakg
What "money"? I don't know how much you have to spend!

Personally i'd ditch the GTX for a GTS and 2 GB of RAM, and pick up a nice P35 motherboard (probably a Gigabyte one because it's got RAID and you won't be overclocking) and a Quad, but i have no idea if that fits in your budget.
Money won't be an object.

I want Dual Core, Quad doesnt appeal to me yet.

I already have 2GB of RAM

I was a very good Dual Core CPU and a very good MoBo that will take the GTX, my current RAM, the CPU that you will suggest to me.
#46 - Jakg
Ok then, if money is no object then:

E6850
eVGA 680i Motherboard
2 GB PC6400 Memory (Maybe even PC8500) - Personally i'd go for some Crucial Ballistix
8800GTX (I'd go for this)
New 580w PSU

Think your a fool for not considering a Quad though. Will you be overclocking?
I shall be overclocking.

Personally, I really dont think I have the need for Quad Core. Unless it make that much difference. What Quad core would you suggest, price limit being £400.

E: That £400 is an absolute max.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
#48 - Jakg
You'll be overclocking? I recommend the Asus P5K Deluxe (or Premium, if your a rich bugger) as they are VERY nice overclocking board. If you need SLi then go for this, but it won't overclock as well.

CPU wise an E6850 can hit up to 4 GHz on air cooling, whereas a Q6600 can "only" hit 3.6 GHz max on air cooling, however as more and more games become multi-threaded i think you'd be stupid - you might "loose" .4 GHz in the short term, but by the time you actually need that extra power 2 extra cores will help more.

Personally i'd get a Q6600 G0, as the next Quad up, the QX6850 is VERY little increase (when overclocked) for the amount of cash. With Penryn on the horizon you've "saved" something for it, too.

If money is no object then a new PSU is a must - the one i linked too is good, but this is a better bet (yes i know 800w is overkill, but Tagan pwn, and anything from Seasonic or PCP&C thats 650w+ is the same price).

What cooling will you be using to overclock? If your looking at air cooling then i suggest that you get some good stuff, ie a Tuniq Tower, a Thermalright HR-03 and some Arctic Silver 5. After looking at your case it might also help to retro fit some new fans in - 3x of these and one of these - they will not only be quieter, but also move a fair bit more air around your case. If you want to spend a little more for more cooling prowess, a water cooling kit might be a nice idea, the Swiftech Apex Ultra is pretty much the only kit i'd recommend, and will only do the CPU, however i think you can add a GPU block, however at £160 it's a little steep, and it's outta stock everywhere.

I'd personally get this 8800GTX as it's the cheapest.

I'd also get 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix PC6400 Memory, although it's PC8500 brother is another option. If your feeling like a posh bastard 4 GB might be a better option, but it's probably best to buy it when you need it.

If your going to spend so much (ie £400 on a CPU) and the best kit to buy is so under your budget, i'd recommend doing stuff like replacing your old Maxtor with this Seagate as it's faster, and this sound card rocks, if you don't already have one.

If you change your number of cores or your motherboard you will have to re-install Windows. Perhaps it might be time to consider XP 64 or Vista?

Hope This Helps!
It helps alot and thank you!

I had XP Pro x64 and it was shit, so I downgraded to XP Pro x32.

I have seriously been thinking about getting Vista. I have been meaning to ask you if you have had many problems with compatibility?

E: The HDD I have now is 320GB. I'm thinking of going bigger. Maybe 500GB or even bigger? What can you suggest that is 500GB+.

Thanks again
#50 - Jakg
Personally? I've got one massive problem with the nVidia drivers (change resolution = epeleptic fit on monitor #2) which killed my copy 3 times. I think it's just 64-bit Vista though.

TBH it's nice and stable - doesn't do anything XP didn't though...

Looking to get a 8800GTX
(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG