The online racing simulator
Sorry to rain on your parade but only printed sharpness matters, kids.

If you have a good monitor with a good panel you'll learn to hate hilariously oversharpened downsized images (downsizing is sharpening too, no matter what algorithm you use) that make people buy useless glass in search of similar sharpness.

And jiggapixxels mean absolutely nothing unless you provide the print size and intented view distance in the process too.

/Spankrant over and out, the truthmedia rests for a while zzz ooooh ommmmmmmm
not everybody print here...
ah but i print very few pics, still i dont think some of my motorsport shots are as sharp as they should be

^^^^ got there first
Mr Spankybutt speaks the truth.
Quote from SamH :Mr Spankybutt speaks the truth.

Partially. Only when you print.
I did not so far so for me it matters how it looks in screen as for my friends so I dont care how it would looks when printed.
lol but i dont care about print :P

lol lost out again
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Partially. Only when you print.
I did not so far so for me it matters how it looks in screen as for my friends so I dont care how it would looks when printed.

It's probably just my ass-backward thinking but I think the stuff that comes out of a digital camera is only an image before it's printed - only then it becomes a photograph.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Partially. Only when you print.

No, not true. I understand that you think that, but resizing to fit a monitor is, as Spanky says, interpolation by sharpening.

I think lens glass is important for considerations such as fringing/chromatic aberration and contrast/lpmm but I've seen some images recently (not here) that are so grossly over-sharpened that they look brittle and nasty. I've even fallen into that trap myself, all too frequently. Over-sharpened images are ugly.
Quote from spankmeyer :It's probably just my ass-backward thinking but I think the stuff that comes out of a digital camera is only an image before it's printed - only then it becomes a photograph.

I'm understanding less and less. It's a worthwhile discussion.. STROBE and I have touched on it in the past.. how does a digital image qualify as a photo?
Quote from spankmeyer :It's probably just my ass-backward thinking but I think the stuff that comes out of a digital camera is only an image before it's printed - only then it becomes a photograph.

Dont play with words.The future is probably only digital. That would be useless discussion anyway because both of us can have on this different view.
Oversharpenning sucks I agree but if it decent and made right and sometimes only on partial area of the picture it looks as good as on screen as on prints.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :Wow, amazing shots. Fits as my background perfectly
Good job!

Thanks

Need to get a tripod sooner than later as slow(ish) shutter speeds meant that some I took didn't come out anywhere near usable.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Dont play with words.The future is probably only digital. That would be useless discussion anyway because both of us can have on this different view.
Oversharpenning sucks I agree but if it decent and made right and sometimes only on partial area of the picture it looks as good as on screen as on prints.

It's not word play or meant to be taken as some form of elitism, sorry if you got it that way.

I feel the physical print gives it a conclusion and shows the photographer stands behind his or her work by spending a little money and time to get a quality print.
you guys are discussing pixel perfect sharpness and postprocessing, but i was complaining about my camera/lens focusing 50 meters from the object of interest. it's been always doing that, but it started to really get on my nerves, because it's a rule - you have a sequence of 5 photos, 1 of them captures the best action (wheel in air, lots of dust etc.) and THAT ONE photo is always the blurry one! it's so frustrating. but i guess im just demanding too much from lowend camera like 350D
Quote from spankmeyer :Sorry to rain on your parade but only printed sharpness matters, kids.

If you have a good monitor with a good panel you'll learn to hate hilariously oversharpened downsized images (downsizing is sharpening too, no matter what algorithm you use) that make people buy useless glass in search of similar sharpness.

And jiggapixxels mean absolutely nothing unless you provide the print size and intented view distance in the process too.

/Spankrant over and out, the truthmedia rests for a while zzz ooooh ommmmmmmm

so all the sharpening settings in each program are useless? imho when you want to post your "images" on internet, you are not interested in your printer, but you can use sharpening to make your resized pictures look...better...for example http://timecatcher.com/

if you like sharpened images is only matter of taste...
Quote from spankmeyer :It's not word play or meant to be taken as some form of elitism, sorry if you got it that way.

I feel the physical print gives it a conclusion and shows the photographer stands behind his or her work by spending a little money and time to get a quality print.

No thats fine!
As I said not everybody is willling to print so if it looks good on my monitor and then resized on web then I am happy with my result. It doesnt have to mean quickly that its bad one because it might looking when printed not so good. Everybody has his own preferences...
Quote from Don :you guys are discussing pixel perfect sharpness and postprocessing, but i was complaining about my camera/lens focusing 50 meters from the object of interest. it's been always doing that, but it started to really get on my nerves, because it's a rule - you have a sequence of 5 photos, 1 of them captures the best action (wheel in air, lots of dust etc.) and THAT ONE photo is always the blurry one! it's so frustrating. but i guess im just demanding too much from lowend camera like 350D

Why you simply dont send it for adjusting the focus with your lens.
I know it will cost something but is it not worth because of your problems?
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Why you simply dont send it for adjusting the focus with your lens.
I know it will cost something but is it not worth because of your problems?

send what? lens or camera? happends with every lens. and i doubt it is something that they could fix, it's just a "feature" of lowend dslr cameras

Some pics of today again..
Attached images
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3271.jpg
IMG_3244.jpg
IMG_3371.jpg
IMG_3380.jpg
IMG_3385.jpg
IMG_3414.jpg
IMG_3298.jpg
Some sunset shots while playing poker in "the field". Lasham gliders being towed around and mainly finding one paultry thermal didn't need to edit aas the sky was so amazing!

and one from recent camping trip.

Attached images
sunset.jpg
sunset glider 2.jpg
sunset glider copped.jpg
sunset grass.jpg
ellie fire.jpg
@Don: Doesn't your 350D have a "Local" AF area mode? On the A200 there is that mode, you select one of the 9 AF points and the camera will only use the corresponding AF sensor for focusing. Works very well, very fast and, should you need to, you can change the AF point to use on the fly, even while focusing is in progress. You can even focus by pushing the 8 way directional multi purpose selector thingy in the direction you want to focus on (or the button in the middle of it for the center sensor) without holding the shutter release button halfway down. With Eye-Start-AF active, changing the sensor to use with your eye at the viewfinder will cause the camera to refocus at the new area automatically.

I'd take pictures to explain but I don't have another cam

Anyway, some pics of today (yesterday actually). Was probably the weirdest birthday I had till now, but strangely satisfying.

The Heidentor (first one is obviously a model):

Might revisit for better photos, couldn't concentrate on taking them because...

... dog was there too and she's a rascal you don't want to lose sight of

And before we left - confused sunflowers, all of them were facing away from the sun, every single one of them. Thought that was odd, so I took odd shots

Attached images
_DSC7215.jpg
_DSC7210.jpg
_DSC7196.jpg
_DSC7236.jpg
_DSC7248.jpg
_DSC7308.jpg
_DSC7311.jpg
You guys should try to figure out if focus is on or off and sharpen on a blurry monitor like I have to. That's some skill

Why I don't have much to post lately..... As I said the other day, I'm into grilling and bbq'ing now....

1st hour indirect at 220-230 F....

Moved to direct heat for some BBQ sauce carmalization....

I could have had much bigger potatoes. They melted in our mouths....

WOW! The new FireFox 3.5 is TERRIBLE at displaying pictures. They look horrible and nothing like they did in Photoshop or my old Firefox install. Looks like I have to do an abrupt uninstall/reinstall to get it back looking correctly. Just trying the new FF tonight. Wrong decision....
Quote from Don :send what? lens or camera? happends with every lens. and i doubt it is something that they could fix, it's just a "feature" of lowend dslr cameras

no, it's not, some lenses are focusing improperly and newer cameras have features to adjust certain lenses' focusing settings to avoid backfocus, etc...

if you have ALWAYS problems with ALL lenses, you should send your camera to get fixed... 350D is definitely not low-end camera, i know people with 300D and they have no such problem...but the problem is when your camera is not in warranty anymore...
if it occurs only in some situations like there's nothing to focus on, or youre trying to focus on dust and flying gravel, there's nothing wrong then
Just buy a 5D Mark II, all problems solved. At work one was sold for about 3000€

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG