The online racing simulator
Problem with Java with Firefox on Ubuntu 6.06
This problem has beaten me, perhaps You can help

I have a pc with ubuntu 6.06 on that came with firefox 1.5. I then obtained and installed firefox 2 without using the synaptic package manager. I then proceeded to download Java 1.6.0, also using apt-get from the console. I now have Java 1.6.0 installed after doing 'update-alternatives --config java', and 'java -version' shows 1.6.0 correctly.

I then made a symlink to the plugin from the firefox 2's plugin dir with 'ln -s /.../java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ./libjavaplugin_oji.so'. This is where I'm at now. The problem is that Java works only on *some* sites, not all. The Java games at nintendo8.com work for example, but a scratch-some-boxes-and-try-again game on another site fails to work. Firefox gives the usual message that I don't have the appropriate addon installed. The latter game worked fine first-time with another machine where I installed ubuntu 7.04 and Java 1.6.0 using Synaptic.

How do I get Java to work on FF2 properly on the ubuntu 6.06 installation? Does it make any difference that the application that fails to load opens in a popup window?

Thank you verry mucchy
isnt firefox 2 in the repos? why didnt you use apt if its in the repos? it would save you all the symlinking fuss, even if it isnt you can always add it from some third party repo.
Quote from Barroso :isnt firefox 2 in the repos? why didnt you use apt if its in the repos? it would save you all the symlinking fuss, even if it isnt you can always add it from some third party repo.

Wasn't me who added it, but doesn't matter rly. I changed the entire sources.list to one some finnish one and the funny thing is that *nothing* in the packages changed at all. It's like it's not updating. Java 1.5 and 1.6 aren't there and neither is ff2. V strange imo, probably better off just wiping it and starting over w/ ubuntu 7.04

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG