Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB
Asus EN8800GTS 320MB
2x 1024MB 800Mhz ddr2 RAM
Codegen M-603 Case
MS Windows XP Home
Compaq V55 15"

Get a 19" ASAP!
Your rig will handle it just fine.
I know it can handle it. Monitors are expensive, so I have to wait for my birthday. I don't want to spend more money than my income earns me.
Quote from hrtburnout :I know it can handle it. Monitors are expensive, so I have to wait for my birthday. I don't want to spend more money than my income earns me.

You're right, same reason why i'm waiting to get 2GB of memory (-1 week - woohoo! :woohoo: ).
:ices_rofl
PC case - Antec 900 Gaming case
Monitor - 2 Belinea 19" Widescreen
Motherboard - AsRock ALiveNF4G
Chipset - nVidia nForce 430
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ @ 3250 MHz
Ram - x3 1024 Corsair DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400
Video card - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320 @ 650/2000
Hard disk - Maxtor 250G & 150G
Operating System - Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit & Microsoft XP Home Edition SP2
Fans - 3 on the front, 1 200mm on the top of the case, 1 on the side panel for gfx card, well 10 altogether tbh
Core2Duo e6600@3ghz
Asus Striker Extreme
Asus 8800GTX
2x1 gb Corsair Dominator pc8500
X-FI Fata1ty with Logitech z5500
22" Samsung 226BW
Thermaltake Toughpower 850Watt
Lian Li 6070 Case
Logitech G25
:eclipseeh
I've upgraded (again!)

i know what your all thinking - i thought his PC was 1337 enough already?

This time it's gone from an Asus P5K ------> Asus P5K

My first one broke

Currently my Quad's sitting at 2.8 GHz with DDR1000 RAM *evil eyes*
DDR1000! i'm just now on DDR2 ram....
Upgraded:
2* 1GB XMS2 6400 DDR2 Memory from Corsair.

Besides, i think i don't understand something: if i go into bios in vCore i have settings of 1.0, 1.1, 1.25 and 1.37V???

EDIT: i'm an idiot. I was looking at NB vCore, not CPU vCore...
Quote from srdsprinter :DDR1000! i'm just now on DDR2 ram....

I'll give you a hint - it's DDR800 at stock, and DDR1075 when Jakg's had a little tweak :P
Quote from Jakg :I'll give you a hint - it's DDR800 at stock, and DDR1075 when Jakg's had a little tweak :P

Play on words my technological forum friend. DDR2-1000, not DDR1000.
Yay for useful bumps!
Yay for "who cares"!
CPU – Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2GHz (400x8) 4MB L2 1.35v
CPU Cooler – Zalman 9700
GPU – X1950Pro 256MB
RAM – 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @ DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12) 2.1v
Motherboard – Gigabyte P35C DS3R
PSU – Corsair 520HX 520watt modular
OS – MS XP Home
HDD – WD 250GB
Case – Aerocool mid-atx w/ 140mm intake 120mm exhaust
Optical – IDE DVD+-R
Monitor – 22” Viewsonic LCD 1680x1050 / 17” Dell 720p
Peripherals – Logitech G25

A pretty big upgrade, cpu now capable of 16.000 second SuperPi 1M runs. I’m at a crossroads in terms of OC’ing it further. My rig can probably approach or surpass 3.6GHz stable, and newer faster cheaper C2D’s are to be out in January. I want to push it, but its stable and fast for league races, so I’m happy.

It is funny to re-read some of the early parts of this thread. The first-adopters of AMD’s Dual Core CPU’s were questioned and harassed for getting “unnecessary” technology, too far ahead of their time.

The Dual Core argument of “more future-proof” was used, and is now being used to support the emerging Quad Cores as well.

Now Quad’s have arrived, and no-one is criticizing their owner’s too much.

Edit -> I'd like to go to the new 8800 refresh when it comes out. ATI has provided me with nothing but headaches, 2 RMAs in a row, and now a pesky card that requires setting the AA/AF everytime its used.
Quote from srdsprinter :CPU – Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2GHz (400x8) 4MB L2 1.35v
CPU Cooler – Zalman 9700
GPU – X1950Pro 256MB
RAM – 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @ DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12) 2.1v
Motherboard – Gigabyte P35C DS3R
PSU – Corsair 520HX 520watt modular
OS – MS XP Home
HDD – WD 250GB
Case – Aerocool mid-atx w/ 140mm intake 120mm exhaust
Optical – IDE DVD+-R
Monitor – 22” Viewsonic LCD 1680x1050 / 17” Dell 720p
Peripherals – Logitech G25

A pretty big upgrade, cpu now capable of 16.000 second SuperPi 1M runs. I’m at a crossroads in terms of OC’ing it further. My rig can probably approach or surpass 3.6GHz stable, and newer faster cheaper C2D’s are to be out in January. I want to push it, but its stable and fast for league races, so I’m happy.

It is funny to re-read some of the early parts of this thread. The first-adopters of AMD’s Dual Core CPU’s were questioned and harassed for getting “unnecessary” technology, too far ahead of their time.

The Dual Core argument of “more future-proof” was used, and is now being used to support the emerging Quad Cores as well.

Now Quad’s have arrived, and no-one is criticizing their owner’s too much.

Edit -> I'd like to go to the new 8800 refresh when it comes out. ATI has provided me with nothing but headaches, 2 RMAs in a row, and now a pesky card that requires setting the AA/AF everytime its used.

Sounds exactly like the problems I had with my X1950 Pro. Grab yourself an 8600GT or an 8800GTS if you can, you'll be set. I've had no problems with my 8600GT, even when Overclocked past the benchmarked settings by some sites that said they're card artefacted at that point.
New LFS mobile rig:

Macbook Pro 2.16Ghz
2Gb 667Mhz DDR2
ATi X1600 256Mb

Quote from mcintyrej :Sounds exactly like the problems I had with my X1950 Pro. Grab yourself an 8600GT or an 8800GTS if you can, you'll be set. I've had no problems with my 8600GT, even when Overclocked past the benchmarked settings by some sites that said they're card artefacted at that point.

Thanks for the advice!

New 8800GT & GTS' should be coming out in November apparently, a little faster and less expensive than the current line. Confusing that the naming will be the same, but actually be different hardware.

Eitherway, I think I'll be going green shortly.

I always seem to end up frustrating myself by not spending the extra $ when I could have... Don't think I'll ever learn though.
Quote from srdsprinter :Thanks for the advice!

New 8800GT & GTS' should be coming out in November apparently, a little faster and less expensive than the current line. Confusing that the naming will be the same, but actually be different hardware.

Eitherway, I think I'll be going green shortly.

I always seem to end up frustrating myself by not spending the extra $ when I could have... Don't think I'll ever learn though.

8800GT? Interesting, not heard of that. Got any info?
New specs!

Codegen M603-CA 550W
Sony/NEC AD7173 18x +/-writer
2048MB DDRII/800
Asus EN8800GTS/HTDP 320MB
250GB 7200 Maxtor STM3250310AS 8MB
Asus P5K
Intel Dual-Core 2160 (1.8ghz) - Need to overclock this, but how?
Quote from hrtburnout :New specs!

Codegen M603-CA 550W
Sony/NEC AD7173 18x +/-writer
2048MB DDRII/800
Asus EN8800GTS/HTDP 320MB
250GB 7200 Maxtor STM3250310AS 8MB
Asus P5K
Intel Dual-Core 2160 (1.8ghz) - Need to overclock this, but how?

To overclock, you need to know alot about computers and they way they work and how not to mess them up. I know that overclocking my E2140 resulted in some problems, even though it was only clocked from 1.6Ghz to 2.0Ghz. I do think it was probably just me and my luck, every computer I touch seems to have some form of problems.

Overclocking in a nutshell:

To overclock, you need to enter your BIOS controls (while your PC is starting up) and manually set the FSB Clock and the FSB Multiplier.

Although I wouldn't take my advice on how to overclock, since I seem to break everything. JakG might be here soon, he'll help you.
I'm already here, and as i'm bored and laying in bed (and thanks to a rather numerour series of injections yesterday, unable to get out of bed) i'll give ya quick outline.

You have the FSB (Intel gives out FSB as "Quad Pumped" - ie your CPU has an FSB of 800, which in real terms is 200 - for a 1066 CPU it's 266 MHz etc)

You have a multiplier (This, times the real FSB = Final clock speed)

vCore (the voltage through the CPU)

Ram divider (RAM runs at the same speed as your FSB, however RAM tends to run faster - ie DDR800 RAM runs at 400 MHz, whereas your CPU's FSB runs at 200 MHz - a divider lets you run the RAM at a different speed to the CPU FSB and is usually a series of ratios - ie 1:2 ratio would let you run your CPU FSB at 200 MHz, and the RAM FSB at 400 MHz)

RAM timings (RAM has a set of timings - think of RAM as a train of information - the MHz is the speed between stations, and the timings are the speed the information gets on and off - on Intel MHz means more, on AMD timings mean a little more. Lower numbers are refered to as "Tighter" and are faster, higher timings are "Looser" and slower. They are expressed as a series of numbers - ie 4-4-4-12. The first number is the CAS# latency and the most important, the rest are less imporant. Some hardcore motherboards (DFi are the only ones that springs to mind) have a "second row" of timings that very very very few people understand, but are even less important than the main timings, but ever little bit of performance can be wrung out of the RAM)

RAM voltage (RAM needs more voltage to run higher quality, but you really wont ever need .2v over stock unless your running rediculous clocks or something like DDR1 BH5 sticks (which are famed for their rediculous clock speeds and incredible voltage scaling)

If that hasn't confused you, here goes...

Typically each component has a different limit, and you want to find each one individually - so you set the RAM on a big divider (so that it wont hold you back) and set really loose (Loose = High Timings - Lower Timings=Faster) timings. You then want to find the limit of the CPU - the most accepted way is to find the max FSB of the CPU/mobo by setting the multiplier as low as possible and see how high you can go - you should be able to get up to about 400 FSB. You then use the multiplier to try to get the highest clock, if it boots into windows and works for about 5 minutes chances are it's semi-stable. To check if it's actually stable try something like Prime95 and see if it passes. If something isn't stable, try adding more voltage, on the CPU i'd recommend up by 0.1-0.15 max because voltage is the number one way to heat a CPU up. Once you work out the CPU's max speed thats stable, you then want to get the RAM tied in - slowly up the divider until things become unstable, however the best test of instability is Memtest86.

The great thing about DDR800 is that as it runs at 400 MHz and even value sticks will overclock a bit (maybe 400-430 MHz) means that you don't need amazing RAM to take advantage of the extra speed.

That sounds complicated,i know, but it's simple when you get your head around it. I must confess i never stress test, and overclock in the most random way ever (namely i dont do any of the stuff i said above about dropping the RAM speed - i just find that i think of a clock speed and then try it in various different ways) but that i really should overclock to the way i named above to get the most outta my hardware.

Post your "LFS" rig..
(3080 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG