The online racing simulator
Nurburgring Nordschleife
(83 posts, started )
Quote from NENE87 :This is truly amazing.

thank u Smile

Quote from NENE87 :I'm really interested in how you can get the scale correct with the height map. I know how to distort my mesh, but the scale is not correct relative to Z.

in my case, I had elevation markers. I know highest and lowest elevation points on track. so I scaled height map generated mesh until those two points met and that's is how I scaled Z axis.

"Jules Tacheny" track seems relatively flat, it should not be too hard. but for hills, I do not know how to help u to scale terrain. maybe there is some known elevation markers, exact sealevel for "Jules Tacheny" maybe, it would give you some starting point. here I found Belgium topographic map, find your hill and use this map to scale your terrain Smile

I could not make GIS plugin to work and I did old fashion way, manual labor.
as for drone, I have none. I used drone footage that I found in internet. that's pure luck. Smile

anyhow, I am very happy that there is someone in this community that shares same skills, wish you good luck with your project and if you will need to talk to someone about it do not be shy write me a message or something Smile
Attached images
0uUEL.gif
Screenshot 2024-02-15 034735.jpg
Quote from gaboteam :hello fellow racers, hope you are all fine, making babies and drinking good wine. as for this thread, I am reviving it...

Wow! I'm in awe, this is simply amazing. Thank you for staying so dedicated and persistent towards pushing LFS to improve! I hope scawen sees this and actually considers this
Quote from Tazka :Nurburgring seems to be supportive towards giving licensing to video games according to this:
https://nuerburgring.de/business/vip-business/licensing?locale=en

huh, appears they have somewhat accurate representation of track. if there is interest, officials can write to provided email, what are the terms to get data...curious if they will provide data to individual, but doubt that. maybe I will write them. good find tho

Attached images
Screenshot 2024-02-16 150754.jpg
It's probably more expensive than an individual will afford.
cool
bump, i want this to happen so badly
Quote from gaboteam :
(Long Text)

Funny how much time has passed. I actually thought of this thread when the state of Rhineland-Palatinate went open data for good chunks of their geospatial information but it was inactive at the time.

If you search for “Geländemodell” at https://www.geoportal.rlp.de you find a dataset with a sparse point cloud in x y z ASCII of the whole state. That might be handy for the terrain modelling. However it is only with a grid width of 25 m. So it really is quite sparse.
hello again,

remember guys I said in beginning that I never had experience doing something like this? well, now I have more knowledge whats what to make stuff for game and let me tell you it is not a walk in the park. since I am doing it for first time, I am learning on my mistakes and that is why it takes me long time to do stuff, I had to make stuff couple times over, because each time I learned that previous method was wrong. even 3d software I use is simply not friendly for it, now I know. it is pain let me tell you but it is what it is, I have greater respect for devs for making such great track of LFS. when I am playing LFS now I notice details that I never even noticed before, technical side how it is made.

before I go in details I want to say BIGBIGBIG thanks to "NENE87" publicly as well, he helped this project development unmeasurably.

now...slowly but surly I am working on it. I start adding more details like curbs, barriers, textures etc...this is what it looks like at this moment.

lot of my time went in creation this fence barrier, I created high poly accurate version or real piece and than bake it on low poly mesh, this is process that needs to be done if u want to see it in game, u have to make is as small and light for engine to load and render. this is new for me and it took me lots of head scratching to figure out how to do that as good as I can. result is externally light but still good looking asset.

every texture I made from ground up, metal net, cable, etc. and now I have my own very accurate textures that I can tweak as wish. here are some examples:

it is hard work no denying, I understand exactly why such projects may take years. especially if one or two people working on it. again kudos for devs.

anyhow, I might miss something cuz I did lot of crap during last update, but this are the main things I can remember. and to finish it of here is some teaser, enjoy.

Attached images
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203600.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 202600.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 202627.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 202727.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 202728.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 202946.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203059.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203129.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203159.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203242.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203420.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203432.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 203523.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 204801.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 204814.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 204843.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 204913.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 204940.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 212832.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 213012.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 212956.jpg
Screenshot 2024-06-12 213131.jpg
Amazing stuff there, wonder what @Scawen thinks about this project? Uhmm
this is such amazing works, keep it up man!
It's amazing, I hope it will finish earlier than we expect!
Nice job, keep going Smile maybe you can use LFS textures?
As a 3d modeler in blender and author of several mods I can see that this is a great job. Thumbs up
But as for the implementation of it in the game I see at least 2 problems. Although it is possible to solve them.

The first is the licensing of Nordschleife track. The track has a license, and for permission to publish in the LFS, you (or LFS devs) must come to an agreement with the copyright holders of the brand.

Second, at the moment we do not have access to the functionality of track editor, and it is far from certain that the track editor uses mesh and textures as it is used in the blender. As I remember from progress reports that Eric fixed some holes in the some track not by mesh but in some other way. This indicates that additional work will be needed in the track editor. And if this is extra work for the developers who have to implement the track in the game, then we should be sure that they have the time and desire to do it. And I'm not sure they do. But this will be made easier with the coming of track editors in the public access.
It's very rewarding to see so much progress on this project. My hats off to you man, this track has a huge potential. In the comparison video you posted it seems like an extremely good match with the terrain and the basic track elements. The fence model is top-notch. Once you add some textures, it's going to be eye candy.

One question, I suppose the hardest part for the finishing touches is to add some roughness to the track surface. Do you plan it and how do you plan to do it? Of course, it largely depends on whether you can get laser-scanned track data or not. Also what Aleksandr pointed out if we can get the track editor or not.

What I would hate seeing if we get a track editor is you having to redo the track in order to fit with whatever the track editor wants.. I hope that all your time and effort pay off in the end. I personally, would be willing to give some eur if this gets into lfs within some license scheme like S4 or something.
Quote from gaboteam :huh, appears they have somewhat accurate representation of track. if there is...

Oh just noticed that.Big grin How its going? They answered?
first of all I want to say thank you to everybody for your positive response again, it means great deal to me. fuel for my gp2 engine Smile thank u.

Quote from NENE87 :maybe you can use LFS textures?

without developers permission I won't even think about using any asset from LFS (I might look into them to make my textures more compatible, but that's it). if there ever will be positive response towards implementing it, than we can talk how to combine assets to make it more friendly to existing ecosystem. but if they say its no go, than at least I will have my own model with my textures. for example I would be more than happy to use vegetation textures, it would have saved me lot of time, but am working on it to make my own plants. I will add many variety of trees for example spruce tree, there are lots of it on nurburg and I have not seen single one in lfs, so far I am figuring out how to create good realistic trees generally.

Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :The first is the licensing of Nordschleife track. The track has a license, and for permission to publish in the LFS, you (or LFS devs) must come to an agreement with the copyright holders of the brand.

I see they are saying u need license to use "NÜRBURGRING BRAND or LOGO or track Silhouette". nothing there about track itself, actually Nordschleife is not even track officially, it is public road, that is why every car needs number plates to go there and on crash police arrives. correct me if I am wrong of course. I am focused on creation. official license for implementation is not my department, it is job for officials. there is always Mod route as we can all see in Modded cars. I could not care less about name "NÜRBURGRING Nordschleife", name is only good for marketing, to get more users, more exposure and that is up to devs/officials. am small time lfs user with imaginary future in my head. I might as well doing it for nothing...oh and I did not write them yet, I can't get around it if I should write them or not.

Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :holes / devs have no time / track editors in the public access

well, everything gotta start somewhere, holes or no holes, track must be created first. for sure I will make mistakes and many things could be done wrong, and will be needing fixing later. I do what I can now...if there will be ever track editor that means there is track Mod possibility, and that is another way to add "Nordschleife" for sure.

Quote from rane_nbg :Once you add some textures, it's going to be eye candy.

I suppose the hardest part for the finishing touches is to add some roughness to the track surface. Do you plan it and how do you plan to do it? Of course, it largely depends on whether you can get laser-scanned track data or not.

yepyepyep, I hope I can manage good end result as game deserves...I understand that if we want this track we also want it to be good, with roughness, bumps, bankings, jumps and all the good stuff. I will definitely implementing all of that, I am using every peace of data I have to make all of them and so far you can see on video how its going. definitely there is need to test drive. adding all those details needs testing, driving. at this moment I will create models and if I have to redo stuff to work in lfs engine I will edit it. just give me small glimpse that it may actually happen in lfs and I will work 10 times harder.
Attached images
Screenshot 2024-04-24 185937 copy.jpg
While it looks a good job, I believe it's wrong to push this with the expectation of having it implemented in LFS anytime soon.
As a dev, I would hate being told what to do. You might actually have the time to learn coding and build your own sim before track editor happens.
Nice work! What software? Blender? 3dsmax? Google? Roblox? (last is joke)

Looks mint. Nice stuff
Quote from turbofan :While it looks a good job, I believe it's wrong to push this with the...

Nevertheless, it might be a fun hobby/free time activity for gaboteam. And if not implemented into LFS, it could be implemented elsewhere, perhaps another developer would want the Nordschleife in their game, you never know..
@Pukyy

You clearly misunderstood my point. Please read again, as it is, and dont invent false implicits, am not attacking his work/hobby/free time activity, my point is about that intent of pushing the path of development to one's self interest. That, is wrong.

It's also not very sensible to post here with the expectation it could get implemented elsewhere by another developper... please dont go nonsensical, there is nothing to defend, as there was no attack.
Some people are just negative
Appreciate ur huge work, RX, hope it will find deserved responseCool

Nurburgring Nordschleife
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG