The online racing simulator
I can't stand the blue blag spammers. If the CTRA system doesn't double post them on screen, a user will. I usally get very mad just forget all bule flag rules and race them. there should be some points docked from a user who smaps blue flag messages.
If you had read the CTRA blue flag rules, you'd have found that there, if someone spams a blue flag message, you may battle him
Quote from Gil07 :If you had read the CTRA blue flag rules, you'd have found that there, if someone spams a blue flag message, you may battle him

that is my favorite rule of all time
#79 - Kaw
IMO the problem with theese messages is really at the people who dont move for Blue flag.

If everyone moved out of raceline when they got Blue Flag. There wouldnt be ANY "Blue flag" messages.

So the people using the Blue Flag msg's are just people that dont want to get wrecked by lappers,
Quote from Kaw :IMO the problem with theese messages is really at the people who dont move for Blue flag.

But if they're not going to move over when they have a bloody great 'BLUE FLAG' message across the screen they wont bother moving over if you spam them, so it's absolutely pointless.
Quote from Kaw :

So the people using the Blue Flag msg's are just people that dont want to get wrecked by lappers,

LOL

I haven't been online for a while, but most of the time, in my experience, spammers were just people who had a hard time overtaking and thought 'blue flag' was some kind of magic incantation that allowed them to get that golden lap time they were after.

No respect for other racers, and no respect for the elements that constitute racing.
Quote from Kaw :IMO the problem with theese messages is really at the people who dont move for Blue flag.

If everyone moved out of raceline when they got Blue Flag. There wouldnt be ANY "Blue flag" messages.

Firstly there is no obligation for a back marker to jump out of the way. Under MSA regs you are perfectly entitled to keep driving your line and simply not obstruct a lapping car when it makes a move. In reality in both RL and LFS the vast majority of people are polite and courteous and move out of the way even if they have no obligation to do so.

I have seen a lot more blue flag messages than I have people who don't yield for them.It's a fact of life that if you catch up a backmarker in a chicane you cannot pass him, even if he's going 10mph slower than you there are times when you just can't make a pass without taking someone out, typically it's the spammers who also make the silly moves. Being held up by backmarkers has cost me a lot of races, but I cope with it because I know it's also won me a lot of races
What absolutely does my nut in is when your in lthe lead of the race and some noob comes out of the pits right in front of you then boots it trying to pull away thinking they are faster than you, slowing you down through the corners etc, when theres a blue flag.
most of the time at blackwood and ive got a noob infront i slow down through the chicane and get a better exit then out brake them on the sweeper at the bottom, really does my head in though If you want to race me wait till the next race and show me what youve got .
Quote from kamkorPL :I think it's the other way. If blue-flagged driver is so slow that he is lapped, he will maybe try to prove himself to the driver that is lapping him? "Oh I'm slower by 1 lap, but I'm much faster, oh oh go away!" :ices_rofl

nobody likes spamers, some ppl support what they are trying to reach but nobody LIKES them !! :bump: :bump:
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :What absolutely does my nut in is when your in lthe lead of the race and some noob comes out of the pits right in front of you then boots it trying to pull away thinking they are faster than you, slowing you down through the corners etc, when theres a blue flag.
most of the time at blackwood and ive got a noob infront i slow down through the chicane and get a better exit then out brake them on the sweeper at the bottom, really does my head in though If you want to race me wait till the next race and show me what youve got .

That is a special situation, but you`re quite rigth. Far to many ppl doesn`t care about the ongoing race. I would get very mad, if a newcomer did that on my server and he would get a lifetime ban.
I use to have a Blue Flag and Sorry message bound a long time ago. I will never have them bound again. The Blue Flag is just redundant annoyance and the Sorry is just disrespectfull. If I was truly at fault and sorry for my actions I will show it appropratly. If I am lapping you I know its my responcibility to effect a clean pass when the time is right. Simple as that.
Quote from Kaw :So the people using the Blue Flag msg's are just people that dont want to get wrecked by lappers

Quote from Gimpster :If I am lapping you I know its my responcibility to effect a clean pass when the time is right. Simple as that.

I never spam blue flag or for that matter rarely even say anything if another racers actions ruin my race.

But I see regularly incidents were racers are ruined simply because the level of ability between the top and bottom of the field is too great on just about any open public server you will get people running close to WR times down to people that are really struggling to get a lap in without loosing it

It's quite easy to overtake a slow but consistent backmarker without loosing much time, but can be a lottery doing the same with someone on L plates. Can you imagine the havoc of say a V8 Supercar race with Ambrose, Skaife etc and in the same race you have young kids learning to drive for the first time There would be multiple fatalities Well that's what you see play out in LFS a lot of times...

So I can understand were Kaw and Gimpster are coming from even though their opinions differ.

As the LFS community grows the need to have servers rated for experience level becomes more and more apparent. This is born out in my opinion by the number of 'old' LFSer's that no longer even venture onto a public server which is a shame as we are missing out on there great company
Wait a second...so S2 has the same blue flag spam problem as the Demo? Heck, I'm not getting S2 then
I have blue flag msg on my F1 key. I use it all the time.... when on grid, before race goes green, and I'll gladly keep using it no matter what anyone says

But strangely enough I rarely use it while racing.

I understand why some ppl use the message - I remember my own early days with LFS - I was aware of blue flag and what it meant, and tried to drive properly. But still had complaints - Back then I mostly drove in the FOX and later realized that it was because I wasn't interpreting the distance while looking at the rear view mirrors correctly - I thought they were too far away, while the about-to-lap car was actually up my ass.. sort of :P

Sometimes I also had issues with wth. I should do, where to go - You can't expect every single back marker to be fully prepared for every situation.

But on the other hand, some lapping drivers are indeed too eager with the BF messages - some seems to hit the key as soon a back marker is in sight... sort of :|

But hitting the BF key isn't pointless IMO, since the big LFS text does appear in "various" times - depending on the car it car appear it can appear too soon.. So my guess is that some drivers may be "meh, I'll just wait a bit.. he's too far away" - some even think tthat the lapper isn't fast enough - I used to think this too, but failed to recognize that of cause he isn't faster when I'm slowing him down
honestly, i wish the mini map had number on it so i could tell who was lapping me. because if 1-3 was coming up on me, i might let up a little bit more than for others that were about to lap me.

the thing is, i can join a race a half a lap down sometimes and still score a top 5 finish just by being consistent, but i really do feel bad when i interfere with a race for the lead, and when a blue flag shows up on my screen, i have no idea who is coming up behind me.
Quote from UncleBenny :honestly, i wish the mini map had number on it so i could tell who was lapping me. because if 1-3 was coming up on me, i might let up a little bit more than for others that were about to lap me.

the thing is, i can join a race a half a lap down sometimes and still score a top 5 finish just by being consistent, but i really do feel bad when i interfere with a race for the lead, and when a blue flag shows up on my screen, i have no idea who is coming up behind me.

Why? They are ALL 1 lap in front of you, whatever place they got, so they all deserve the same amount of respect! Who cares if he's first or 18th, he did the same thing - getting a whole lap away from you...
I have found a great way of dealing with it. Extract from my LFS Lapper config file

# Use @ sign at end of patterns, if you wish to specify users, that are allowed to execute action.
# Use & sign at end of patterns, if you wish to specify a file containing users, that are allowed to execute action. users separate by \n
# Possible variables to use:
# {Nickname} - Nickname of driver
# {Username} - Username of driver

AutoAction =
hoho|/msg ^3What's so funny, {Nickname}?|
unnamed|/msg No name = No game:/kick {Username}|
!test|/rcm {Nickname} is testing...:/rcm_ply {Nickname}|
[U][B]Blue Flag |/msg No 'Blue Flag' Spamming!: /spectate {username}
[/B][/U]
# Actions that are executed on schedule. Use '|' for next schedule/action pair and to separate schedule from action.
# If more schedules or actions, separate them with ':'.
# To escape ':' type '\:' if you want ':' in your message.

Lol, that would do the trick
Quote from Bladerunner :I have found a great way of dealing with it. Extract from my LFS Lapper config file

that's the exact solution i came up with too
i admit i do use it sometimes. but very rarely. i only use it if the guy who is infront of me, and im laping him, is not letting me pass and ignores auto BF message. when he doesent i just bump him and dont care if he spinns, it just makes me mad
Quote from Alles :i admit i do use it sometimes. but very rarely. i only use it if the guy who is infront of me, and im laping him, is not letting me pass and ignores auto BF message. when he doesent i just bump him and dont care if he spinns, it just makes me mad

If you are spinning a person on the lead lap about to go a lap down, you have no such right do spin someone like that. A car about to go a lap down has EVERY right to race as the leader does. It happens in real life, lead cars lose time becuase of cars about to be lapped, but they don't go wrecking them. If the person is a mid-race joiner, they should not be in the way at all. If you do blue flag spam even a mid-race joiner, it makes you look stupid, and you are giving away any right to pass any lap car.
Quote from h3adbang3r :If you are spinning a person on the lead lap about to go a lap down, you have no such right do spin someone like that. A car about to go a lap down has EVERY right to race as the leader does. It happens in real life, lead cars lose time becuase of cars about to be lapped, but they don't go wrecking them.

While I agree with that in principle LFS is not real life in real life you might get that circumstance because of some mechanical problems or bad luck where a car is about to go a lap down and the driver fights to stay on the lead lap. Thats all good and dandy but you can be damn sure he will be within spittin distance, speaking of lap times, of the car about to put him a lap down.

In LFS this would rarely happen as the difference between the top and bottom races on your average public server pick up race is HUGE! Its more likely the reason for being about to go a lap down is the guys is so far off pace he has lost a hole lap in about a 6-10 lap race and if that is the case he should not hold up the flow of the race if at all possible. Personally I don't bump people in that kind of situation as Alles described but I could certainly understand that point of view.

In real life that great a disparity of racers skill would not be on the same track even in multiclass racing the skill levels are high enough that everything is much more predictable and readable by all concerned. In LFS the differences in skill level are so large that incidents are almost inevitable on some occassions imo
Mostly I don't have any problems with backmarkers, but there are some people who can't seem to think. For example, if get behind someone on Aston National, on the last hairpin, the backmarkers usually wait untill the straight before they pass me. I can't stand that. In 9 of 10 cases the backmarkers does something stupid in the chicane, for example crashing in the tyres. Just because he's under pressure. So please, let people pass before the chicane..

And of course when you join in mid race you should go off the line and brake if needed, for the race leaders. You got absolutely no rights when you join midrace, imo.
if someone comes up to lap me then i'll get out of their way.
but as soon as i see a blue flag bind i move out of the way a lot slower
Quote from h3adbang3r :If you are spinning a person on the lead lap about to go a lap down, you have no such right do spin someone like that. A car about to go a lap down has EVERY right to race as the leader does. It happens in real life, lead cars lose time becuase of cars about to be lapped, but they don't go wrecking them. If the person is a mid-race joiner, they should not be in the way at all. If you do blue flag spam even a mid-race joiner, it makes you look stupid, and you are giving away any right to pass any lap car.

sure if he is being lapped i hope he moves away. but if he keeps driving infront of me and slows me down and ignores blue flag, that pisses me off and i hit him to learn him a lesson or two. i cant stand somone racing me if he is lap down, so the thing to do is bump him and tell him to get out of the way and leave me alone. i dont do that all the time, just when im really pissed off.

about mid race join people. there houldnt be a midrace join atall!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG