The online racing simulator
Which unit do you prefer?
(43 posts, started )

Poll : Which units do you prefer?

KPH
MPH
I measure stuff in lightyears per decade. It's very simple. Most 'everyday' numbers round down to zero (which makes my maths easy). The downside is that I speed in the pitlane a lot. The signs say 80, but when I'm doing 0 I get a penalty... Can anyone fix it for me?

If I want accuracy, I do what EVERYONE surely does, and uses nanometers per century.
a shame GBP is not allowed :P
While I think the metric system is far superior, here in the U.S. we don't use it. So, I prefer using MPH and left hand drive in-game since it's what I'm used to.
Quote from tristancliffe :If I want accuracy, I do what EVERYONE surely does, and uses nanometers per century.

actually that wont be acuret at all. will overflow a single and a double very easy :P
#30 - J.B.
I want m/s.

EDIT: Oops, Bob beat me to it.
I thought in UK was KPH??!!?:Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:
Canada for the win
Speeds : Kph
Distances : Kilometers
Volumes: Litres
Temperatures : Celcius

Yet when we get into cars everyone talks Miles Per Gallon, and BHP instead of L/Km and KW

Oh, and everyone over 30 doesn't use Celcius :P
Oh, mph is easy. A mile is 5280 feet. A foot is, um, 12 "inches." What's an inch? That marking on a ruler. Seriously, you have to use it to know it.

Metric makes so much more sense than that other system (anyone know what a hogshead is? How about a slug?), but LFS doesn't offer m/s for the speedo for the same reason that I use mph instead of kph: We use what we're used to using. If I were from most places in Europe, I might be used to using km/h. If I were a scientist, I might be used to using m/s. But I already have so much familiarity in mph, I find no reason to change.

Now, why not just change km/h to km/37.27 minutes? There we go!
I was taught to metric system since childhood, and nobody had to deal with imperial until the beginning of 1990s when we've got a wave of information from the US. For example, on TV, good translators do convert miles, feet, Fahrenheits into kilometers, meters, Celsius, but usually they don't. Needless to speak about computer games: in some of them there are only mph. For 10 years i've learned to convert roughly mph into kph, feet in meters, gallons in litres in my mind, but Fahrenheit degrees and other weird values like miles per gallon, lbs, lb/ft, don't say anything to me.

I also have to deal with nautical miles in MSFS. They didn't make a good switch to metric system: whatever system you select in options window, nm are always used in GPS, ATC tells you the american altimeter instead of QNH, and so on. Why in the world the Europe has followed the american measurement system in aviation?! What was the problem to oblige them to make it compatible with metric?! Of course, now with so many aircrafts in use it's impossible to change the historically formed system, and the questions are rhetorical.
I was taught all metric in school and university. I understand it very well.

Growing up distance was in Miles, then Km. Now they Switched speed to Km as well. but everyone still uses miles/hour and miles as far as i can see.
And when i enter the 50km zones, i keep the needle on the 30. (as focusing on the tiny 50km/hour gauge is impossible)

So i use MPH in lfs, it just seems natural, in the same way that mass is kilos, volume litres (except for petrol use which is miles/gallon) and beer comes in pints. Engines have CC capacity, but BHP power.

In short i think we need to go cold turkey, and abandon old imperial units, but its hard, as you can see from the experiences above.
#36 - Gunn
I was brought up using metric at school and imperial at home. That makes things a little easier I think.

Not all measurements are so easy to implement, I'm still trying to convert kph to smiles-per-lap!
#37 - emqu
MPH of course.
All you KPH users are just kidding yourselves you are going faster with the big numbers :P

MPH is a mans unit of measurement
Quote from Beandip :A mile is 5280 feet.

Thats just silly, it must be hard to convert longer distances to smaller units without calculator (or athor way around) ? Metric system is the only one that makes real sense, 10 mm is 1 cm 100 cm is 1 m 1000 m is a km, so logical

I prefer m/s ...ok not really, km/h it is!
Personally I'm wondering when the USA is going to get it's damn act together and switch already. C'mon, we made the switch in the 60's, USA is 50 years behind the times
i use Km/h , as i was brought up in the czech republic where they teach the metric system. thought now living in the uk i had to adapt to the uk style, sometimes it does my nut in having to convert from uk to metric but just a matter of gettin use to it...

agree with bob metric is much simpler.

mad!
Quote from 1993S14 :I thought in UK was KPH??!!?:Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

lol, I was going to say "nearly all Americans and Canadians think the UK uses KPH", but one already got there.

No, you're wrong, the UK has always used miles and mph, that's what comes from your country's proud tradition of being completely ignorant of foreign cultures and countries and continuing stereotypes even when they're crap just because it's what Americans expect.

So in American films most of the British actors have stupid accents, like they're Oxford educated toffs or 1940s Etonian schoolboys.

Apparently when Americans hear a normal midlands/SE British accent they think the person is Australian, which I have personal experience of, so to avoid confusing the audience they have to put on a fake accent.

I think I remember seeing some shit film, National Lampoons European Vacation I think where in the UK part they made a joke about using Km/H instead of MPH, and in The Simpsons too I think where they made the same joke (probably ripped it off). So I'm guessing that's where it comes from.
Quote from Sternip :lol, I was going to say "nearly all Americans and Canadians think the UK uses KPH", but one already got there.

No, you're wrong, the UK has always used miles and mph, that's what comes from your country's proud tradition of being completely ignorant of foreign cultures and countries and continuing stereotypes even when they're crap just because it's what Americans expect.

So in American films most of the British actors have stupid accents, like they're Oxford educated toffs or 1940s Etonian schoolboys.

Apparently when Americans hear a normal midlands/SE British accent they think the person is Australian, which I have personal experience of, so to avoid confusing the audience they have to put on a fake accent.

I think I remember seeing some shit film, National Lampoons European Vacation I think where in the UK part they made a joke about using Km/H instead of MPH, and in The Simpsons too I think where they made the same joke (probably ripped it off). So I'm guessing that's where it comes from.

hahaha, thanks for letting me know that, but I'm not an american. I just thought UK uses KPH like alot of places in europe.
Quote from tristancliffe :I measure stuff in lightyears per decade. It's very simple. Most 'everyday' numbers round down to zero (which makes my maths easy). The downside is that I speed in the pitlane a lot. The signs say 80, but when I'm doing 0 I get a penalty... Can anyone fix it for me?

Hmm... what's a unit good for if you can never ever go above 10?

Which unit do you prefer?
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG