The online racing simulator
First Car
(537 posts, started )
You won't insure a Rallye, or GTI.
Drop a 2.0 redtop Calibra in a Nova. Then you can call it a half decent car.

They aren't the best thing in the world to look at, but they're light, fairly nippy, cheap to fix, cheap to insure, easy to do up a bit.

It's a first car, you're not gonna have something super duper. Cheap and cheerful has to do.
You won't insure a 2L modified car.

People aren't seeming to get the point here, you can't reasonably expect to insure anything above a ~75bhp car. It just doesn't work.

Moreover any modifications need to be disclosed to the insurance company, otherwise your insurance is void, thus you are driving illegally. But you already knew that I'm sure.
Quote from pb32000 :You won't insure a 2L modified car.

I know he won't get insured on a 2 litre car of any sort, I was just making the Nova sound more interesting, even though it is an ugly car.

Future project if you become a Nova whore like mcgas?

And Jak, are you just getting quotes for fully comp insurance? If so that's probably what's veering you away from some cars. TPFT is acceptable, TPO if you're rather desperate.
Jak either get a pug 106 or a VW Polo someone has just asked me to buy a polo from him to sell on, its CAT D i think has a couple of scratches P reg not sure what colour red i think probably suit you for £900 plus i can get it delivered to you.
Quote from pb32000 :Moreover any modifications need to be disclosed to the insurance company, otherwise your insurance is void, thus you are driving illegally. But you already knew that I'm sure.

Do you mean ANY modifications? Or just engine/performance upgrades. Cause if it's ALL mods, I'm SO illegal right now...
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Do you mean ANY modifications? Or just engine/performance upgrades. Cause if it's ALL mods, I'm SO illegal right now...

Visual or performance. Visuals usually make the car more attractive, therefore makes it more prone to theft.
He also said it has to be reliable :P
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :He also said it has to be reliable :P

My 360 has never failed a mot in 5 years, it has not had single failure other than what one car repair shop made to it (installed bad seals to front of crank so oil started to leak).

It is most reliable basic tech, nothing like those modern crap where electrics seem to fry every other day and simple timing belt replacement seem to cost grand or so.

Older is always better than new in cars (every car made after 1990 is considered as new)

Also one can make it more pretty rather easily
" alt="" onload="imageAutoSize(this)" />
Quote from Mazz4200 :Was only a matter of time before the "Vovlo Pimp" made a post in here

Actually Pearcy, we've had a couple of Vovlo's in our time and to be honest they've been THE most reliable cars we've ever had. Not exactly the most fun though....unless you like sailing on dry land

Sailing occurs if one has bad or worn dampers, with little effort one can get it very stiff, but it is not good for comfort and normal daily drive should be comfortable and specially roads like in UK, you will appreciate suspension that can work well on rough conditions
Quote from JTbo :Sailing occurs if one has bad or worn dampers, with little effort one can get it very stiff, but it is not good for comfort and normal daily drive should be comfortable and specially roads like in UK, you will appreciate suspension that can work well on rough conditions

Don't really wanna hijack Jaks thread here, but, as an example;

When me and the wife first got together i had a sporty little Clio RT she had a Vovlo ermmm either 340 or 360 GLE ?? however the dampers were fine. I'd take here down some of the local country roads in my Clio, and she'd love it, telling me to go faster and faster. But seeing as the Clio is French, and spent half it's life in a garage getting fixed. I'd take her down the exact same roads at fairly slow speeds in the Vovlo and she'd get sea sick, literally throw up......comfortable, yes, reliable yes, fun, not for the missus, no.

Then we ditched both cars and got a V40 (her choice ) which was comfortable, reliable, safe, practical, and only ever saw a country road when i was alone
Well, one volvo forum member got s40 as cheap daily driver some time ago, those seem to be quite low on price at UK, but also those are FWD and I can't recommend such for anyone getting first car.
Best to learn with RWD first, it warns when it is slippery lot earlier and generally is layout that teaches one to drive lot better than FWD which just goes without warnings and understeers out from corner.

No I'm not biased
Quote from beefyman666 :Visual or performance. Visuals usually make the car more attractive, therefore makes it more prone to theft.

So, uh, if I were to hypothetically have four public address horn speakers under my car, hidden from view, hooked up to a carputer in the car and an amp in the trunk (amp is visible) and a 7" touchscreen (which is visible only when I'm driving)... is that illegal? I DID pass inspection with the speakers... though they don't exactly look for that kind of stuff.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :So, uh, if I were to hypothetically have four public address horn speakers under my car, hidden from view, hooked up to a carputer in the car and an amp in the trunk (amp is visible) and a 7" touchscreen (which is visible only when I'm driving)... is that illegal? I DID pass inspection with the speakers... though they don't exactly look for that kind of stuff.

You generally don't declare ICE, but most insurance policies would only cover up to a certain amount for audio equipment. There are probably alternatives where you get full cover but have to declare high value items.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :So, uh, if I were to hypothetically have four public address horn speakers under my car, hidden from view, hooked up to a carputer in the car and an amp in the trunk (amp is visible) and a 7" touchscreen (which is visible only when I'm driving)... is that illegal? I DID pass inspection with the speakers... though they don't exactly look for that kind of stuff.

It's not illegal, it just voids your insurance if anything happens to your car. If you try to claim for something they didn't know about then they will laugh at you.
Well, while we're on the subject, I was told that even HAVING the PA speakers was illegal. Does anyone know if this is the case? I would have thought they'd only be illegal if you used them to impersonate a police car or terrorize the public with announcements about possible alien invasions and such...
Don't know the legality of it, but it could be a lot of fun.

Road rage could be made even worse with actually telling the other driver what you think.
Quote from Luke.S :I have a sugestion this is only the kind of car well 2 actually

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1968-DOD ... ewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122 would cost a bit to import lol u could make a general lee.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI ... ;ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1 something only £120 over budget unless u get more

Tell me your taking the piss. A Dodge Charger?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Those cars are great but i CANNOT afford to insure them. Thats the reason why people end up with slow ugly cars as their first cars...

I was doing a 3rd Party Quote with £500 voluntary excess, atm my bike is insured 3rd Party, Fire & Theft (Was only £20 more) with a huuuuuge excess.
Quote from Jakg :Tell me your taking the piss. A Dodge Charger?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

LOL, atleast my idea wasnt THAT extreme...
Quote from pb32000 :You can't reasonably expect to insure anything above a ~75bhp car. It just doesn't work.

My car has over 100bhp

A lot of people have been very silly here in this thread
ROFLMAO @ the Prelude
Quote from The General Lee :My car has over 100bhp

A lot of people have been very silly here in this thread

Volvo 360GLT has 115hp if you dare to walk your own path, you can get performance and cheap insurance

In UK it is bit silly how even wheels need to be declared for insurance and how those can put silly increase to payments, even car would have had such wheels as an option when new.

Here is subwoofer is attached properly it is ok, but in theory if not attached MOT should fail. In practise it varies greatly depending even from day and amount of alcohol inspector finds from top of rear axle

For first car I don't recommend putting too much cash in looks and upgrades, keeping it serviced and paying fuel + insurance is already quite enough, when you have something extra put to side after all that you might consider it, but I would recommend that 2nd car is what you work with more then.

Sure just one opinion in piss pool, but as it's mine it is most important

First Car
(537 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG